• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and the Yucs

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It was more of a breakdown. Jameis did a good job scrambling to buy more time but he flung that rock for a 50 or 60 yard play to Mike Evans when Jimmy got caught lacking. MAYBE they were running a zone, but IDK.

As for the fumble, it seemed more of a Lamar fumble than a Gus fumble, but yes it was from a read option.
No it was from a mishandled snap, he was turning to hand it off before he secured it

flynismo

Practice Squad
Looked the same as he does every other week. Run the ball for 4-5 yards at a time, miss a couple easy passes, made no special throws, and the weekly fumble. Whatever though, as long as we win.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You know something? I think it's up there. No INTs (should've had one). Had some nice intermediate throws and Smokey failed him with that easy drop.
Yeah he really made some great plays. His pass to Andrews and the deep ball to Snead were beautiful, and the John brown drop was the most nfl throw he’s made so far, he split defenders 5 yards apart, 20 yards downfield, on the money to a crossing speed receiver with perfect timing.

As far as showing his skill running, this was his best game for sure, his scrambles were insane today

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Did Bozeman start the 1st half at left guard or was he just in for a series? I remember seeing him there at one point, but then Hurst was playing in the 2nd half.
Bozeman did come in as the 6th OL, but don’t remember when that was

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Looked the same as he does every other week. Run the ball for 4-5 yards at a time, miss a couple easy passes, made no special throws, and the weekly fumble. Whatever though, as long as we win.
Man you should really try evaluating a player rather than just following the ball... I get it, that’s what he does every week, but he made some throws today that were just higher quality than we’ve ever seen from him.

This is why you say you haven’t seen growth or development from him, because you’re not willing to, every similar yardage total isn’t earned the same way. Lamar made THREE throws today that were all better than anything we’ve seen from him, and also had his 2 best non-designed runs as well.

We aren’t all just dickriding him here and you’re the only realistic one, you just aren’t seeing the finer things because you’re too busy saying “ehh nothing special”

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

I have to agree!

Lamar is exciting to watch but that young buck has to learn how to throw a whole lot better IMO and to protect the damn ball! I'm glad that we are winning, no doubt; but this type of gameplay WILL definitely come back to bite us in the ass at an inopportune time. Mark my words!

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Yeah he really made some great plays. His pass to Andrews and the deep ball to Snead were beautiful, and the John brown drop was the most nfl throw he’s made so far, he split defenders 5 yards apart, 20 yards downfield, on the money to a crossing speed receiver with perfect timing.

As far as showing his skill running, this was his best game for sure, his scrambles were insane today
And how about pulling a houdini basically escaping that would-be sack and turn it into a scramble for a first down. 9/16 on 3rd down!

sailorsam

Practice Squad
nice to see the UDFA Gus run for 100+ yards
a LOT of 100 yard rushers today. is the run game coming back?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So I watched some highlights on YouTube, looks like Kenneth Dixon and Gus Edwards are a fierce heavy hitting combo. Would love to see them together next year with a rookie speedster. I think it's time to end the Collins and Allen experiment. Also it seems like Mark Andrews is our biggest passing threat. I think this team is trending up. With another good draft, free agency, and an off-season for Lamar, I would not be the slightest bit surprised to be some of the best in the AFC!

flynismo

Practice Squad
I have to agree!

Lamar is exciting to watch but that young buck has to learn how to throw a whole lot better IMO and to protect the damn ball! I'm glad that we are winning, no doubt; but this type of gameplay WILL definitely come back to bite us in the ass at an inopportune time. Mark my words!

It makes me wonder about the coaching, once again.

In college he had accuracy issues, but he displayed great arm talent often enough to draw the Vick comparisons. We have seen absolutely none of that from him so far. And we can't put that all on him when the few times per week he does get the chance to throw, it is mainly safe short to intermediate throws (by design).

It's okay to ease him in, especially knowing how raw he is, but we need to take the kiddie gloves off sooner rather than later.

But like I also said before though...he may not be there yet, but the running game and defense are significantly better directly and indirectly because of him. For now, he is a downgrade at the QB position, which is to be expected when comparing a rook to a 11 year veteran. But the team as a whole is much improved. That's all that really matters.

flynismo

Practice Squad
Man you should really try evaluating a player rather than just following the ball... I get it, that’s what he does every week, but he made some throws today that were just higher quality than we’ve ever seen from him.

This is why you say you haven’t seen growth or development from him, because you’re not willing to, every similar yardage total isn’t earned the same way. Lamar made THREE throws today that were all better than anything we’ve seen from him, and also had his 2 best non-designed runs as well.

We aren’t all just dickriding him here and you’re the only realistic one, you just aren’t seeing the finer things because you’re too busy saying “ehh nothing special”

No.

I know I wasn't here draft time, but I can assure you that nobody was cheering louder when we called his name at the draft. There is nothing more I want than to see him become what I think he is capable of becoming. I don't have some secret hate for Lamar. I don't want to see him fail. If he fails, our entire organization fails. I don't know about you, but that is not okay with me.

And again, I never said he has not shown any progression. Those words never came out of my mouth, they were put in my mouth. That being said, I don't see this immense progress that some people are trying to tout.
I will agree that he made a couple throws today that were as good or better than what we've seen up to this point. But that is not really saying much either, especially against one of the worst defenses in the league.

So now that we're clear on how I feel about him and what I wish to see from him, as I said to Mili, I do not put that on Lamar. I think it is the coaches babying him too much. He's going to fuck up. That is unavoidable. But I would much rather see those fuck ups coming against these weak opponents he has been facing where a mistake or two isn't an insurmountable hurdle, and then he learns from it, rather than him being put under the fire unprepared next month, where one loss means there is no next week.

Ravens55NYC

Practice Squad
Personally I have been very skeptical about Lamar until today’s game. He made some really clutch throws on 3 rd downs all game. His 2 min offense was on point. He is really growing as player. A complete off season will do wonders to him. I also like Marty’s play calling. I think we should keep Marty and let Lamar get use to this playbook rather than bringing in a new OC and having to learn a new playbook all together. We always had issues with Joe and his continuous new OC’s.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ken Dixon and Gus Edwards both ran hard today. Dixon picked up a key conversion on third down after a pitch. Bucs didn't want any part of Edwards in the fourth quarter.

For the first time all year, we are actually seeing our offensive line move the line of scrimmage. It's noticeable and its not infrequent.
Pass blocking today was lacking. Looking around the league, you notice quarterbacks with time. I didn't see that today with Lamar that I recall.

A part of Lamar's game that is pretty far along right now is his ability to see the field post snap. I'd like to see him get the ball out earlier when he sees underneath stuff open on early downs. I'm only referring to this game and The Chiefs game as I haven't seen the two games prior, but I don't see him missing open receivers the way Joe routinely does. What I mean to say is that I don't see guys running free and escaping his notice....now if he misses the throw, this is another story.

I thought he certainly took another step today. The throw he made to Andrews while under duress was a beaut. (on third down). The drive to end the half was nice. Heck, I like his having the maturity and athleticism to throw the ball away to preserve the field goal try. He's definitely becoming wiser about getting down and getting out of bounds. He has his head in the game. I have to back and check but there have been a few drives at the end of the first half where he managed to lead the team to a field goal. He doesn't get rattled. I thought it was by far his most accurate day from sometime in the second quarter on.

Cyrus Jones muff will lose you a game. It robbed us of a possession and gave the other team three points.

I wanted OJ Howard....I was wrong. Humphrey plays more like a Raven than most of what we have seen of late. he's a throw back Raven.

Very, very concerned about how in the Charles Dickens it was that Nassib was left unblocked and unaccounted for.....TWICE. That really troubles me.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
MAYBE they were running a zone, but IDK.
It was definitely a zone. My initial guess is Cover 4, but I'll have to wait until Tuesday to confirm.

What bothers me a little is that Weddle broke downhill on Evans in cut, but the cut was at 10 yards when the Bucs need 20. He then kind of lackadaisically and half heartedly tried to cushion against Evans breaking free upfield. However, the biggest issue I had goes back to the needing 20. Mosley was in a pretty good spot to disrupt any pass over the middle (he was within, I'd say, three yards of Evans) and Evans needed TEN yards. Let him catch the ball and drive downhill for the tackle. There was no reason to bite.

Now, Jimmy definitely got caught a little flat footed, but he was put into a horrendous position because Weddle vacated what I believe to be his zone in Cover 4 and that meant that Jimmy on the outside was going to be having to cover Evans, who has position to the inside of the field, without any help over the middle of the field.

Really just a poor breakdown on the part of the Ravens.

Ravens55NYC

Practice Squad
No.

I know I wasn't here draft time, but I can assure you that nobody was cheering louder when we called his name at the draft. There is nothing more I want than to see him become what I think he is capable of becoming. I don't have some secret hate for Lamar. I don't want to see him fail. If he fails, our entire organization fails. I don't know about you, but that is not okay with me.

And again, I never said he has not shown any progression. Those words never came out of my mouth, they were put in my mouth. That being said, I don't see this immense progress that some people are trying to tout.
I will agree that he made a couple throws today that were as good or better than what we've seen up to this point. But that is not really saying much either, especially against one of the worst defenses in the league.

So now that we're clear on how I feel about him and what I wish to see from him, as I said to Mili, I do not put that on Lamar. I think it is the coaches babying him too much. He's going to fuck up. That is unavoidable. But I would much rather see those fuck ups coming against these weak opponents he has been facing where a mistake or two isn't an insurmountable hurdle, and then he learns from it, rather than him being put under the fire unprepared next month, where one loss means there is no next week.
I don’t understand why we need to take off kids gloves on a rookie. What are you expecting a rookie to be like? Have a pro bowl kind of a season or something? . I look at all the QBs who went ahead of Lamar and how they are playing those teams are relying on the rookies to win games for them and are failing miserably. Lamar definitely needs to improve in passing to have a lengthy career but it’s his rookie season. One thing I can see him doing already is going through progressions which is a good sign in my opinion. The mechanics will get fixed over time. But coming out and calling Lamar our not sure if you remember how our offense constantly struggled with Joe. And some of the blame can be put on joe.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It makes me wonder about the coaching, once again.

In college he had accuracy issues, but he displayed great arm talent often enough to draw the Vick comparisons. We have seen absolutely none of that from him so far. And we can't put that all on him when the few times per week he does get the chance to throw, it is mainly safe short to intermediate throws (by design).

It's okay to ease him in, especially knowing how raw he is, but we need to take the kiddie gloves off sooner rather than later.

But like I also said before though...he may not be there yet, but the running game and defense are significantly better directly and indirectly because of him. For now, he is a downgrade at the QB position, which is to be expected when comparing a rook to a 11 year veteran. But the team as a whole is much improved. That's all that really matters.

All great points in my book. An interesting dichotomy that Lamar is a downgrade at the QB position and yet, the offense has improved partly because of his presence but it is the truth! Lamar is doing ok but he still leaves a whole lot to be desired as a QB in my view.

While I am by no means a Flacco dude at all and that cat has never been my cup of tea as a QB whatsoever; I must admit, that earlier in the game today, I mentioned to my wife; "This gameplay is going to make me ask for the unthinkable! Do you know what that is?" Then my wife said; "You are going to say put Flacco in? You? Flacco? I don't believe it!"

I was actually teetering towards screaming for Flacco to come in and for me to do that; you know that I must have felt that Lamar and the offense were looking raggedy until they finally pulled things together and got the "W".

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was more of a breakdown. Jameis did a good job scrambling to buy more time but he flung that rock for a 50 or 60 yard play to Mike Evans when Jimmy got caught lacking. MAYBE they were running a zone, but IDK.

As for the fumble, it seemed more of a Lamar fumble than a Gus fumble, but yes it was from a read option.
It was easily 100% zone defense.

flynismo

Practice Squad
All great points in my book. An interesting dichotomy that Lamar is a downgrade at the QB position and yet, the offense has improved partly because of his presence but it is the truth! Lamar is doing ok but he still leaves a whole lot to be desired as a QB in my view.

While I am by no means a Flacco dude at all and that cat has never been my cup of tea as a QB whatsoever; I must admit, that earlier in the game today, I mentioned to my wife; "This gameplay is going to make me ask for the unthinkable! Do you know what that is?" Then my wife said; "You are going to say put Flacco in? You? Flacco? I don't believe it!"

I was actually teetering towards screaming for Flacco to come in and for me to do that; you know that I must have felt that Lamar and the offense were looking raggedy until they finally pulled things together and got the "W".

I definitely understand why you thought maybe bring Flacco in, but this is why I said last week that if we're going to make him our starter we have to commit to it. It's going to hurt him if we pull him when things are tough; that's how he'll grow into the player he is capable of being. You know I'm a Flacco fanboy, and I got a weird feeling in the 1st quarter they were thinking of putting him in. Had they done that, I would have just quit watching for at least today. Maybe the rest of the year.

My doubts about Lamar aren't really even so much about him as they are about the people handling him. I have zero faith in our offensive coaching staff. I don't think I need to expound on why lol. He'll be something special one day so long as we don't break him.

flynismo

Practice Squad
I don’t understand why we need to take off kids gloves on a rookie. What are you expecting a rookie to be like? Have a pro bowl kind of a season or something? . I look at all the QBs who went ahead of Lamar and how they are playing those teams are relying on the rookies to win games for them and are failing miserably. Lamar definitely needs to improve in passing to have a lengthy career but it’s his rookie season. One thing I can see him doing already is going through progressions which is a good sign in my opinion. The mechanics will get fixed over time. But coming out and calling Lamar our not sure if you remember how our offense constantly struggled with Joe. And some of the blame can be put on joe.

Every single one of those teams relying on rookies to win are terrible teams in the first place, which is why they are struggling. Lamar is not just a unique player and nothing like those other guys, but he is also in a unique position compared to them. We are likely headed to the playoffs; we don't have the luxury of bringing him along so slowly. Keep in mind that it is never good to be so one dimensional. He has yet to face an even mediocre NFL defense. It won't be pretty if he doesn't start spreading his wings a little, so like I said, I'd rather see him slip up now and learn from it than throw him in the fire against playoff teams, in the playoffs, when one loss means there is no next week.