• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Chargers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Everywhere you look, the Chargers are the flavor of the day. Ask any analyst - who is the most complete team? Who would you pick to win it all? The most frequent response? Chargers. Ask that question 4 weeks ago, you'd get the Rams. 3 weeks ago, you'd get Saints. 2 weeks ago, KC.

Let's change their answer for when they are asked next week.

i like the point you're making but KC was never thought of as the most complete team lol
I think people thought it was the Rams early in the year and then you're right everyone moved to the saints

and for a few weeks now it's probably been between the Bears and Chargers

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll say this much. One of the reasons why I enjoy this league despite how soft it's getting is how unpredictable each week is. Almost every week, there's one game that just surprises a lot of people. For ME, this past week's game was the Eagles vs. Rams. I gave the Eagles no shot in that game and boy was I wrong on that one.

Of course, that phrase; "Any Given Sunday" rings true. Let's hope it's true for this Saturday as well in favour of the Ravens.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rookie year he was overweight and way too wide in the midsection and he lost a lot of his burst from it, so I don’t think that’s the case
There’s a very big difference in keeping your weight up and being overweight or having bad weight.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
i like the point you're making but KC was never thought of as the most complete team lol
I think people thought it was the Rams early in the year and then you're right everyone moved to the saints

Everyone was on the Rams and moved to the saints but me*

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Everywhere you look, the Chargers are the flavor of the day. Ask any analyst - who is the most complete team? Who would you pick to win it all? The most frequent response? Chargers. Ask that question 4 weeks ago, you'd get the Rams. 3 weeks ago, you'd get Saints. 2 weeks ago, KC.

Let's change their answer for when they are asked next week.
Damn right brother! Let’s smack these Bolts in the mouth this Saturday!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
OK I understand that the chargers have a very good record, but I just keep reading over and over again that they are maybe the best team in the NFL. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm just stupid or naive, but i don't think they're for real at all. I've seen a few of their games this year and honestly I'm just not that impressed. I think we win convincingly and I haven't said that since week1.

Yeah - KC didn't fit the complete team idea, but before their narrow win vs us and then loss the the Chargers, they were certainly viewed as the best shot in the AFC at least to win it all. All it takes is a 1 point loss to change the narrative. Just as the narrative would totally be changed for us if we stopped them on 4th and 9.

So - let's make it so everyone is saying the Bears when asked those questions come Monday morning.

#1 misconception on the playoff picture: We control our own destiny. For those who feel that we can never win when we control our own destiny, rest easy - we don't

BR.com says the odds of winning out and not getting in are "microscopic". The key is HOU losing out and PIT winning out. While not likely, that doesn't seem microscopic.

Don't use the ESPN playoff machine. It lies. In the stated scenario, it has us losing to HOU on common games, but we'd be tied in common games. It would come down to strength of victory. I don't think is not calculating that correctly.I'm pretty sure someone posted the NYT calculator - which not only has a better interface, but more importantly seems to be correct. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/nfl-playoff-picture.html

So the stated scenario would then have to involve games which influence strength of victory, but from what I can see, the most likely outcomes give HOU the wild card. From what I can tell, the NYT engine gives a percent based on the number of scenarios - but is not based on the likelihood of that scenario coming to pass.

Bottome line: If we win Saturday - root hard against PIT (as if you need to be told that) - but also root hard for a HOU win. Absolutely need for the Browns game to be a simple win and get in and not have to scoreboard watch in week 17.

Last edited:

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
If Hou loses 2 and the Ravens win both, Pit loses both and at least 1 of Ten and Ind finish 10-6 then it will come down to SoV with the Ravens holding a half game lead with results as they now stand. Unfortunately, the remaining games influencing the SoV tiebreaker strongly favor the Texans who have beaten more contenders.

The biggest game remaining on the schedule for an SoV tiebreaker against either the Texans or Colts is the Tampa Bay/Dallas game. The Ravens need TB to beat Dallas in week 16 on the road in the only double-count game (Ravens pick up a SoV win while both Colts and Texans miss an opportuntity to do so) on the remainder of the schedule. That's not the only game influencing SoV, but it's the most important. It would not feel good to have the Ravens fortunes in the hands of an unmotivated TB team playing out the string on the road.

Taze

Practice Squad
If I’m Chargers I’m stacking the box and forcing (as much as possible) Lamar and the receivers to beat the likes of Hayward, King and James. Chargers can play to stop the run more-so than pretty much anyone considering they have three elite cover guys and two elite pass rushers. Think that could be the difference