• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Well... Considering Jimmy, Marlon, and Tavon can all be trusted in one on one coverage against most of the league's receivers..... Thomas being able to roam free is going to open up the doors for everything, and Jefferson could be in the box.

That's as good of a move as you could of made. That's a move that makes your entire defense better.
This gets me moist.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

JO_75

Hall of Famer
It's an end of an era in Jacksonville. Blake Bortles has been released by the Jaguars, and they will be taking on his $16.5M dead money.

Miami and Washington is the only places left where he could start, otherwise he's going to be a backup.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Ed Reed‏Verified account @TwentyER 46m46 minutes ago
Welcome to the fam! Big things coming in BMore. Can’t wait to see ETIII back & better than ever.

D1k3v2BWoAkxNmf.jpg

Baltimore Ravens, Earl Thomas and Mark Ingram II
20 replies336 retweets1,734 likes

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d rather slide Jefferson next to peanut and let one of Elliott/Clark/Levine duke it out for SS
I'd have him take Peanut's spot and have Young next to him. I feel like him and Peanut serve the same type if role, and Jefferson has more range.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Earl Thomas's contract and cap hits:

D1lKiATW0AYNAPM.png:large

pretty nice tbh as a contract goes - would have preferred we pulled a bit more of that 2nd year base salary into this year but we've got lots of cap space due next year and onwards + the new CBA coming in after 2020 so all in all im pretty happy with how this one has worked out

also incredibly easy to get out of in year 4 and even year 3 if we are so inclined

important note on the contract is that his base salary is fully guaranteed for the first 2 years (which is why the dead money is 25m in year 2 rather than 15m)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
True, but he did that with Mosley and Weddle essentially telling him where the play was going. I wonder if he has the instincts to do that without Mosley next to him.
I feel like the ravens see Kenny young as a green dot guy. They raved about his intelligence all year and he had his best game when Mosley was out and peanut calling the plays, while the rest of the defense crumbled lol.

I was ecstatic about drafting young so late and I was a loud minority on that. I feel pretty strongly that the ravens might have matched the jets offer if young wasn’t on the team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I meant to say Jefferson next to Kenny young lol. Brain fart.

personally i dont think it matters because when we're in that dime defence most everyone's up at the line anyway and the flexibility of the dbs and even the lbs makes the defence tick because even when we dont rush more than 4 we're being deceptive with who's covering and who's rushing and from where etc.

i prefer levine as the dimebacker and jefferson at safety but honestly on those dime packages it really doesnt matter what you call them

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

pretty nice tbh as a contract goes - would have preferred we pulled a bit more of that 2nd year base salary into this year but we've got lots of cap space due next year and onwards + the new CBA coming in after 2020 so all in all im pretty happy with how this one has worked out

also incredibly easy to get out of in year 4 and even year 3 if we are so inclined

important note on the contract is that his base salary is fully guaranteed for the first 2 years (which is why the dead money is 25m in year 2 rather than 15m)
correct. He had 32m in guarantees. His prorated bonus = 20m and 1st 2 yrs salary is the other 12m. Nice contract, like how years 2 - 4 are relatively flat with small 1m increases each year in base salary.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Zach Brown or Justin Houston would be great pickups as we retool.
I think we need to make a hard push for Houston. Losing Mosley, weddle, and Z but signing Thomas and Houston I think is a net gain. We upgrade massively from weddle, upgrade massively from Z, and lose on Mosley. And the 3 down ability Houston would bring us would be great, gives us what could be a suggs esque presence and probably an upgrade from his pass rush.

Simba

Staff Member

Yeah I think this is a good structure with how much cap space we're projected to have next year. Take advantage of the QB on a rookie contract while you can. I'm okay with lower numbers in year 1 (since we're tighter) as long as the cap hits in the following years are flatter.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As of now we have huge holes at DE and LOLB.. justin houston, ziggy, shaq b, golden, would all be solid pickups, shit i would even bring back urban for cheap

um where's the huge hole at DE?
we've got wormley basically already stuck in there as the starter (on a week to week basis he sometimes had more snaps than urban or pierce or williams etc.) and we've got a promising young draft pick at the position too in Sieler and on top of that we've got willie henry coming back off an injury - he's more of a traditional DT than DE but we dont play a huge amount of base defence so its rare that we actually have all 3 DL on the field at once on any given down anyway - i see no hole at all

and on top of that i imagine we'll draft someone because we always seem to get someone on the DL and OL every year in some round somewhere