• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It's crazy that we had two big moves on after the other, but now I hope to not here anything until the end of the week. Let some players be cut, get good vets on the cheap, and roll with it until the draft. Then you're set up for a crazy 2020 offseason.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It's crazy that we had two big moves on after the other, but now I hope to not here anything until the end of the week. Let some players be cut, get good vets on the cheap, and roll with it until the draft. Then you're set up for a crazy 2020 offseason.
Houston got cut, wouldn't affect comp picks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this would be big if we could find a way to make it work for us - he is 30 with an injury history - and he was going to be an over 15m cap hit this year before he was cut - so im really not sure what the cost would be - especially with guys like ZDS getting over 16m/yr

only team ive seen with reported interest is the jets though

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our top needs are WR and Edge Pass Rusher. I’m waiting on us to sign Justin Houston to remedy the edge problem. As for WR, I suspect we’ll have to address that in the draft just like interior OL. I really like the interior OL class with some C who can play G. My ideal signings would be as follows:

C/G Stefen Wisniewski
Edge Justin Houston

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
i like Ingram - just was absolutely not on board if he was going to cost around 8m/yr like it was initially reported he would when our interest was reported - both because that was too expensive and also gonna potentially lose us a 4th round comp - at worst it now erases the 5th round comp for sizzle and if urban or williams get signed elsewhere it may well not erase any of our existing comp picks
I wonder what happens with the Earl Thomas signing? Was he a Seattle free agent or did they release him?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I know, him and Zach Brown are viable options. But there will be more to come. Patience is key in FA. The good teams are not the ones that make the splashes. They're the ones that get bargain once the bad teams are done.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gettlemen did say he had a plan, but you're right, it's difficult to see. @ZonaRaven it's possible they didn't like Rosen. He would be a steal due to not having to pay the signing bonus and essentially having him for four more years.

The Giants did play well down the stretch last season and some of the games were without OBJ, so maybe they think they can get along without him and the picks will come in handy in building out the roster. The Browns did much better in that trade, just not sure how they didn't for the very least get Clevelands (17th) pick in the 3rd round instead of pick 95. They also should have picked up another decent pick in 2020.
I believe this was there thinking. They were going to go with a new QB who may or may not utilize OBJ's skill set fully. So, they figured it may be smarter to trade OBJ, get some picks that can be packaged together or used wisely in the draft to get a QB (maybe trade for Rosen) or perhaps draft the WRs of the future that could grow with their new QB. That way they avoid paying a huge salary to OBJ when he possibly cannot be a game changer given the flux they face at QB. At least that is my reasoning.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know, him and Zach Brown are viable options. But there will be more to come. Patience is key in FA. The good teams are not the ones that make the splashes. They're the ones that get bargain once the bad teams are done.
Those two would really solidify our D and not affect the comp pick formula in any way.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wonder what happens with the Earl Thomas signing? Was he a Seattle free agent or did they release him?

Earl Thomas was a UFA - not released

as it stands with these roster manoeuvres this is how the comp picks for next year look:

CJ Mosley (3) cancelled out by Earl Thomas (3)
Zadarius Smith (3)
John Brown (4)
Terrell Suggs (5) cancelled out by Mark Ingram (6)

but if we lose any other free agents to any kind of deal the mark ingram deal would cancel downwards and we'd get the 5th back for suggs

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Earl Thomas was a UFA - not released

as it stands with these roster manoeuvres this is how the comp picks for next year look:

CJ Mosley (3) cancelled out by Earl Thomas (3)
Zadarius Smith (3)
John Brown (4)
Terrell Suggs (5) cancelled out by Mark Ingram (6)

but if we lose any other free agents to any kind of deal the mark ingram deal would cancel downwards and we'd get the 5th back for suggs
Now I'm really rooting for Urban and our free agent RB to be signed by some team... smh - the times we live in

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Times are rough when the free agent RB isn't worth actually naming by name. I respect that.
laugh out loud! I drew a blank then. It's Buck Allen of course. No disrespect to him because he's a total trooper and special teams ace. Maybe we do bring him back.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I knew who you were talking about, but that raises the bigger question of what do we do with the RB position. We've got Dixon and Edwards under contract for super cheap relatively speaking, and Ingram who is obviously now our starter, so Buck in or out of the equation, so we also draft a RB? I personally love where our team is at, and I'm not nearly as scared of the Browns as ever NFLN analyst.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I wanted moncrief real bad last off-season but was not a fan of his 2018 and it kind of confirmed the things that he didn’t do well - not displeased that he’s not with us

But now that he’s with the steelers I’m fairly worried lol

I actually like that he's there because that means it's unlikely they'll spend a 4th or earlier draft pick on a WR that would turn out to be a stud. Anything that deters them from drafting a WR should be a plus, they churn out beasts.