• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Cody Ford is actually quite raw. He's inconsistent on tape with his best being amazing and his worst head scratching. I really like Beau from Wisconsoin. He's sound and strong.

If we could somehow get an early to mid second for Joe ( maybe trade joe and one of our 3rds for an early 2nd) I propose

Montez Sweat
Beau B

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Cody Ford is actually quite raw. He's inconsistent on tape with his best being amazing and his worst head scratching. I really like Beau from Wisconsoin. He's sound and strong.

If we could somehow get an early to mid second for Joe ( maybe trade joe and one of our 3rds for an early 2nd) I propose

Montez Sweat
Beau B
Is that a Ford's RT tape? I think most people around here, including me, have him on radar to play interior in pros.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Montez Sweat
Beau B
Anyone from Wisconsin is good and I agree with @allblackraven ford is going to play inside in the pros.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Montez Sweat
Beau B
For mauler at guard I'd be fine with someone that's raw but has amazing physical tools. You can coach him up and get a potential all-pro. I'd be more worried about drafting a raw tackle or center than I would be with a guard.

A1A

Veteran
Sweat isnt falling to us. We need to trade up to land the big names. IMO the oline is ok not great, will a rookie guard transform us?? Maybe.. we do have some young guys that may super sayion to the next level. Could we sign a big name via FA?? Morse maybe?? That would allow us to go WR in the 1st and secondary in the 3rd where there is some good talent. Then Oline in the 4th where guys like Burkett out of Stanford may still be on the board.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
WR in 1st is a mistake. Its the most overrated position in the NFL and thats even when you are sure you have a QB who can play the sidelines.

Snead and TEs are enough. Build OLine and if that isn't available then a plethora of defensive talent is there

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
WR in 1st is a mistake. Its the most overrated position in the NFL and thats even when you are sure you have a QB who can play the sidelines.

Snead and TEs are enough. Build OLine and if that isn't available then a plethora of defensive talent is there
They'll be enough until halfway through the season, our passing game is struggling, and everyone is wondering why our guys can't get separation. This happens every year. During the season people complain about our WRs being awful and how they're the cause of us losing games but come the offseason the position is overrated and we're fine with what we have.

How about we don't screw over Lamar the way we did Flacco.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
They'll be enough until halfway through the season, our passing game is struggling, and everyone is wondering why our guys can't get separation. This happens every year. During the season people complain about our WRs being awful and how they're the cause of us losing games but come the offseason the position is overrated and we're fine with what we have.

Our passing game is struggling because our QB is not great at hitting people outside the numbers or over 15 yards so why not wait until he develops the ability to actually do that before we waste draft capital on his weakness rather than drafting to his strength which would be building an elite OLine so that the running attack is more formidable.

Lamar made our running attack great with scrubs starting on the OLine, imagine what he could do with real players.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Our passing game is struggling because our QB is not great at hitting people outside the numbers or over 15 yards so why not wait until he develops the ability to actually do that before we waste draft capital on his weakness rather than drafting to his strength which would be building an elite OLine so that the running attack is more formidable.

Lamar made our running attack great with scrubs starting on the OLine, imagine what he could do with real players.
Agree fully. Build the strength of the team, make yourself a contender by having a rock solid foundation that works consistently, that’s your identity and what you lean on, you fill in the blanks after.

We will never be a high octane passing offense with lamar, the run game has to be a top 3 unit for us to be competitive for the foreseeable future, and just as importantly the defense, if either of those take a hit and aren’t producing then no amount of wr play is gonna save us.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

I somewhat agree but if a potential elite or very good WR is there you don’t pass him just because of this, you just don’t. They are too hard to come by, even if we didn’t use him to his full potential for 2 years I’d do it.

Last edited:

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Obviously it depends whose on the board etc etc but you don’t pass on a good receiver solely because of Lamar. I guarantee he’d look a lot better if he had Julio Jones to throw to. Literally the reason we’d want to draft good receivers is to minimize Lamar’s deficiencies.

You build to your strengths but you also build on your weaknesses so they can’t be easily exploited like the chargers did to us.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Obviously it depends whose on the board etc etc but you don’t pass on a good receiver solely because of Lamar. I guarantee he’d look a lot better if he had Julio Jones to throw to. Literally the reason we’d want to draft good receivers is to minimize Lamar’s deficiencies.

You build to your strengths but you also build on your weaknesses so they can’t be easily exploited like the chargers did to us.
Agree there too, but with this team, we won’t exactly be ready for a super bowl in year 2, whether we add a better OL or elite WRs, or even both. Lamar likely won’t be far along enough in his development to be counted on for 4 playoff games, maybe but I doubt it.

Without an elite OL, run game, and defense, I fully believe we have no shot to compete unless lamar develops to a level that I don’t think he can. A wr won’t change that. When our OL is up to snuff and the pieces are in place for a 2-3 year stretch of real contention, THEN you make the splash move for a wr and make it so you win with this run game and defense but when the chargers do what they did to us, you have a better chance to air it out.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I love how we are arguing this shit when we all know that we are going to draft a run stuffing defensive lineman in the first because fuck us right?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

completely agree - we've got only 2 proven targets that are definitely coming back in Snead and Andrews - we hope and expect Hurst to come on but there's no guarantee and there's also a high probability that both Crabtree and Brown are gone which would leave the cabinet completely bare

at that point our WR corps would be Snead, Moore, Lasley and that's it

we need youth and we need speed and not random day 3 picks too because lamar's going to have to throw to win games (and he can) but he needs people to throw to, people who can be big play threats

our offence is going to be based on the running game setting up big plays in the passing game - we need someone to make those big plays and i dont think that's andrews, snead or hurst (or crabtree if he stays)

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
There are going to be games where we are going to have to pass the ball to win. And I'd rather not have it entirely dependent on Snead and Andrews. And It'd be nice if the defense wouldn't shut down our passing game by just having tight coverage over the middle.

Is that a Ford's RT tape? I think most people around here, including me, have him on radar to play interior in pros.
Ford at G in the pros is also something that many draft analysts are projecting. He's borderline to be available for us at #22 - we'll see where his draft stock goes over the coming months.

Well - I really did feel like Mosely would be retained ... but I am starting to see the odds going a bit lower than I initially anticipated.

Harbaugh saying he want's him back, but There Are 'Limitations on Money'. While that is really the case with any player, saying that publicly may be a bit telling. He does go on to say that since there is mutual interest, that's a good formula for a return ... I have to wonder if we're going to want to swallow the cost.

As with everything, the value of something is only based on the price someone is willing to pay. Some teams having a ton of cash burning a hole in their pocket and is a concern. Here's McFarland's take on his market value:

https://russellstreetreport.com/201...-salary-cap/determining-mosleys-market-value/

Big fucking mistake

Jesus Christ decosta you’re really starting out strong huh
Jeff Zrebiec said this, not Eric DeCosta. Zrebiec expects us to release Crab and either get a reduction in salary or be release Jimmy - because he thinks that's the logical thing to do and not necessarily because he has some inside info on what our FO is thinking.

You do not think this is logical and Eric may not either. Although I'm in agreement that we'll at a minimum seek to find a way for Smith to reduce his hit.