• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Shane Ray is not good, he’s one of my “I told ya so” players, he was crazy hyped around here and I never saw it, he’s got speed and bend but no rush moves at all and severely lacks physicality to hold up when the OT lands contact, and he hasn’t developed a lick.

That said, I LOVE what we’re doing. Overload the WR spots through the draft/UDFA and then bring in Michael Floyd who absolutely can produce at a high level if his head is on straight, we’re gonna have 3 guys who can produce at WR at this rate. And then at pass rush we’ve been adding for years, sign 2 veterans for cheap, one proven with injuries and the other still has a good ceiling he hasn’t come close to reaching yet, again there is bound to be at least one guy who rises to the occasion, all these players have talent
If Wink can get these guys motivated and going we'll be terrific. Wink's known to be a player's coach who knows the strengths and weaknesses of his players and is an excellent snaps manager for his defensive players... get to work Wink!

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is great. We won't keep six outside line backers so this will likely end up with one of Ray/Bowser/Williams being traded or released. I love the depth it provides through camp. If Williams or Bowser tweak something, then we have Ray.
The competition it creates is awesome.
The McPhee signing is really a great one.....we all assume that Judon will give us 16 but if he were to go down, we would be in trouble at the position. McPhee is a vet that knows this system. And I'll say this: Ferguson better learn from McPhee...Mcphee's effort and pursuit are still evident. He's every bit as strong as Ferguson and he's a better pass rusher overall

Shane Ray is not good, he’s one of my “I told ya so” players, he was crazy hyped around here and I never saw it, he’s got speed and bend but no rush moves at all and severely lacks physicality to hold up when the OT lands contact, and he hasn’t developed a lick.

That said, I LOVE what we’re doing. Overload the WR spots through the draft/UDFA and then bring in Michael Floyd who absolutely can produce at a high level if his head is on straight, we’re gonna have 3 guys who can produce at WR at this rate. And then at pass rush we’ve been adding for years, sign 2 veterans for cheap, one proven with injuries and the other still has a good ceiling he hasn’t come close to reaching yet, again there is bound to be at least one guy who rises to the occasion, all these players have talent
Ray was quite good his rookie season I thought. I mean, it is rare even for the top 10 picks that they come off as studs in their rookie season. So being a solid contributor is the best you can usually hope for. Since then, he's hasn't developed a lick, but at least in part because he's been too often injured.

That said, this may amount to nothing. The injury issues could continue or, even if he's healthy, it is unlikely he'll match initial expectations. Still, he's the kind of player you don't have to expend a lot of resource to get and could prove to at least be serviceable. It is the typical low risk high (or maybe medium) reward kind of move you get when you reach this point in FA.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Hate Ray and Floyd moves, they've been nothing but shit.
We're also showing interest in Bostic.

I just don't see how all that makes us better. Competition? If our boys are competing against these players for roster spots, we are in a world of trouble.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Imagine that passrush with our current secondary. We could have been shutting teams out.
We werent beating the hawks that year.. plus, even though our secondary was trash, we couldve won that game vs pats. Bad defensive coaching along with bad last drive by flacco

Icy

Practice Squad
Can we all just be happy that we're bringing in guys with potential that can actually push our starters to get better, rather than our usual dumpy camp bodies.

of course not, this purpleflock cuhhh. but seriously, i hope all these guys are hungry, im looking at it like, if everyone plays like they may get cut, everyone is getting pushed to play their best.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We werent beating the hawks that year.. plus, even though our secondary was trash, we couldve won that game vs pats. Bad defensive coaching along with bad last drive by flacco
if that 2014 squad had a real deal secondary then there isnt a team in the league that would feel good about playing us. if we landed weddle/carr in 2014 instead of 2016, and if jimmy doesnt get hurt in 2014, then the ravens have 3 super bowl titles and there is NO doubt in my mind. hell, even if it was JUST jimmy being healthy that year then there is a really strong chance. if the pats needed 2 14 pt comebacks and loopholes in the rulebook to beat us with that secondary, then 2014 jimmy wouldve made a gigantic difference. from the start of 2013 until his injury in 2014 jimmy may have been the best corner in the league. coaching had shit to do with that game tbh. also, flacco didnt have a bad last drive, he had one bad play which truthfully shouldnt have been a turnover and its a play you have to give the safety credit on too.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
if that 2014 squad had a real deal secondary then there isnt a team in the league that would feel good about playing us. if we landed weddle/carr in 2014 instead of 2016, and if jimmy doesnt get hurt in 2014, then the ravens have 3 super bowl titles and there is NO doubt in my mind. hell, even if it was JUST jimmy being healthy that year then there is a really strong chance. if the pats needed 2 14 pt comebacks and loopholes in the rulebook to beat us with that secondary, then 2014 jimmy wouldve made a gigantic difference. from the start of 2013 until his injury in 2014 jimmy may have been the best corner in the league. coaching had shit to do with that game tbh. also, flacco didnt have a bad last drive, he had one bad play which truthfully shouldnt have been a turnover and its a play you have to give the safety credit on too.
Way too many ifs.. flacco made a bad play. Ball was not suppose to be thrown whatsoever. anyway, creidt really goes to the patriots for being so brilliant at comebacks and making adjustments.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Way too many ifs.. flacco made a bad play. Ball was not suppose to be thrown whatsoever. anyway, creidt really goes to the patriots for being so brilliant at comebacks and making adjustments.
the pre snap alignment showed what appeared to be no deep safety and torrey 1 on 1 at the X. thats a shot flacco is taking 9 times out of 10 in his heyday, he took the same kinda shot that made him a super bowl mvp 2 years prior, the safety was kinda disguised at the snap, joe didnt see him bail back, and he let it go, its understandable, but whats not understandable is torrey making zero effort there, he was on trajectory to run under that ball and all he had to do was not stop dead in his tracks 10 yards short and that pass is broken up by default.

another thing... joe saw a matchup that usually results in points, you cant not take that shot because its 2nd down and theres still time on the clock, taking a careful shot there and getting a first down in no way guarantees we score. i dont fault the decision to go for it, i fault the misreading of the safety which is likely why it was too far inside, and i fault torrey just bailing on the play.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Hate Ray and Floyd moves, they've been nothing but shit.
We're also showing interest in Bostic.

I just don't see how all that makes us better. Competition? If our boys are competing against these players for roster spots, we are in a world of trouble.
Because Adeboyjo is sooooo much better competition than Floyd. Remember when we kicked the tires on Jason Babin a few years ago and gave him a roster spot during the season? That's the state our pass rush was in not too long ago. Appreciate us being proactive for once

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Michael Floyd is already one of the best receivers on this roster, dunno why people are boohooing that signing. If his head is on straight he’s probably our #1/2 while a guy like Boykin develops. Dunno if Hollywood can be a #1 type or get a #1 workload which is why I think Floyd might be a #1.

Floyd has been a headcase off the field for a few years so I think people are forgetting that he’s a legit talent.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Michael Floyd is already one of the best receivers on this roster, dunno why people are boohooing that signing. If his head is on straight he’s probably our #1/2 while a guy like Boykin develops. Dunno if Hollywood can be a #1 type or get a #1 workload which is why I think Floyd might be a #1.

Floyd has been a headcase off the field for a few years so I think people are forgetting that he’s a legit talent.

when a WR hasn't produced in nearly 5 years you have to follow a trend and it's reality.

he's not what he was or even close ( yes even at just 29)

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
when a WR hasn't produced in nearly 5 years you have to follow a trend and it's reality.

he's not what he was or even close ( yes even at just 29)

I think people get way too caught up with stats and numbers to the point they are blind to reality. Floyd hasnt suffer any major injury in his career but you have to think it isnt easy to not only focus on practing a sober lifestyle but also adjusting to differents teams, and offensive systems. Thats without me even mentioning other personal issues he may have been going through which at times can affect a player performance on the field.

I think It may just be that Micheal Floyd needs a shot and he defintely gets that with The Ravens probably more than any team he's been on since being cut by The Cardinals. I know Willie Snead will be a starter but everything else is wide open for any receiver to take.

Floyd probably couldnt be apart of a better team or locker room right now. Overall I dont see why people making a big fuss out of it and this move just adds more competition but at a cheaper price.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think people get way too caught up with stats and numbers to the point they are blind to reality. Floyd hasnt suffer any major injury in his career but you have to think it isnt easy to not only focus on practing a sober lifestyle but also adjusting to differents teams, and offensive systems. Thats without me even mentioning other personal issues he may have been going through which at times can affect a player performance on the field.

I think It may just be that Micheal Floyd needs a shot and he defintely gets that with The Ravens probably more than any team he's been on since being cut by The Cardinals. I know Willie Snead will be a starter but everything else is wide open for any receiver to take.

Floyd probably couldnt be apart of a better team or locker room right now. Overall I dont see why people making a big fuss out of it and this move just adds more competition but at a cheaper price.
Exactly, they just want to bring in tough and hard-nosed players who love to compete.
They're cheap and better than those UDFAs we had before.