• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Charm City

Pro Bowler
If you search Gerald Mccoy, literally every fan page has an opinion piece pleading for their teams to sign him. He's gonna be expensive.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The thing that annoyed me wasn't the prospect of not getting a comp. At that price why didn't we keep him on the team? He wasn't that much worse than Boyle in the blocking department was he? He had decent hands too.
a lot of this has to do with availability. Boyle hasn't had the injury issues. Although Boyle did have a couple suspensions, In hoping they are over now.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I WANT GERALD MCCOY.... I salivate imagining the interior push we can get in rotation between him, a healthy McPhee and Henry! Am I wrong to want??

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
McCoy would be a nice addition, I just don’t think it’ll happen. I think he’ll go to a team like Indy over us if I had to guess. Young team with talent to challenge their division and money to pay him and potentially get to the SB that’s sort of close to his hometown.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
McCoy would be a nice addition, I just don’t think it’ll happen. I think he’ll go to a team like Indy over us if I had to guess. Young team with talent to challenge their division and money to pay him and potentially get to the SB that’s sort of close to his hometown.
We're the Baltimore Ravens and he is a defensive player. There is that. Also, he's an Oklahoma grad. Maybe, just maybe he believes he may feel more at home here considering we are the Sooners East and all? I just think he'd be an awesome addition to our team. There is a big part of me that doesn't want him going to the Browns either who were in the trade market for him but it cooled off...

purp

Practice Squad
I’m not optimistic DeCosta makes this move given his desire to get out of salary cap hell. Comes a year too early with the B.Will contract still on the books methinks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

There’s some coaching connections at Indy too for him on top of all that cap space and the scheme fit

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not optimistic DeCosta makes this move given his desire to get out of salary cap hell. Comes a year too early with the B.Will contract still on the books methinks.

The Ravens aren't really in cap hell anymore, they just don't have as much room as it looks. 55m slated for next year, but the VAST majority of that will go to Stanley, Pierce, and possibly Judon, and of course a little for draft picks.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Ravens aren't really in cap hell anymore, they just don't have as much room as it looks. 55m slated for next year, but the VAST majority of that will go to Stanley, Pierce, and possibly Judon, and of course a little for draft picks.

yeah there's no point splashing cap on a guy who's at the back-end of his career (albeit a great one and he's still a really good player) and isnt a scheme fit here - we never roll over much cap but rolling it over to next year if we can would be very useful - or even just having it in case injuries hit so that we dont have to restructure someone just to fit extra players due to injuries under the cap

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'd want McCoy here soley for the sake of having a veteran mentor for a now very young DL, but he isn't going to be the difference to me between playoffs, and no playoffs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'd want McCoy here soley for the sake of having a veteran mentor for a now very young DL, but he isn't going to be the difference to me between playoffs, and no playoffs.
I’ll point you to 4th and 12 New Year’s Eve 2017, one interior pressure literally can be the difference, getting a guy who does that 10x better than anyone on this team is a power move.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Isn't BWill supposed to be the veteran mentor. I know we're pretty much set on cutting him here on these forums but he's still on the team.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I’ll point you to 4th and 12 New Year’s Eve 2017, one interior pressure literally can be the difference, getting a guy who does that 10x better than anyone on this team is a power move.
A power move for a team that probably isn't going anywhere unless Lamar pulls a Patrick Mahomes and has a rapid development.

I hate to be that guy, but McCoy likely doesn't change anything. He adds experience to a group that's been completely famished from it. Sure, players on the roster like Williams and Wormley are essentially just average football players overall and McCoy is an upgrade, but what does it change? Not much if we are being honest.

I also hate to be that guy but some of the teams we are playing this year look sneaky good. The Jets and the niners for example(assuming Jimmy G is healthy) are wild card contenders in my eyes. Then you have other teams like NE, St. Louis, Seattle, etc, who look a lot better than us at the moment. McCoy is a great player, a possible future HOFer, but he's not going to change this team from going 7-9. Not a reflection on him, we have talent, but it's raw talent.

This team to me is a 7-9 team that will play better than their record at times.

Let's see what we have this year talent wise. It paid off for Seattle last year, let's do the same