• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Ravens aren't really in cap hell anymore, they just don't have as much room as it looks. 55m slated for next year, but the VAST majority of that will go to Stanley, Pierce, and possibly Judon, and of course a little for draft picks.
lets not forget we will cut BWill next season also and Stanley will be playing on his 5th year option, unless we pay him early, which we should do. Also, don't count on Judon getting a contract.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
lets not forget we will cut BWill next season also and Stanley will be playing on his 5th year option, unless we pay him early, which we should do. Also, don't count on Judon getting a contract.

If Judon isn't then someone else has to because he is the only 3 down OLB the Ravens have so either way his money is going either to him directly or to multiple players to replace him.

I have not looked at who is coming up in FA next year outside of Ravens (mostly because the top names never do), but I would take Judon over ZDS so even if he takes a discount its still a big contract or two to his replacements. Pierce I think is 15m and if I am looking right at the BWill contract its only 4.5m to save by cutting him which makes me wonder what the point is exactly. Unless he is just worse than whoever else would be on the field I wonder if he might hold out for 1 more year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If Judon isn't then someone else has to because he is the only 3 down OLB the Ravens have so either way his money is going either to him directly or to multiple players to replace him.

I have not looked at who is coming up in FA next year outside of Ravens (mostly because the top names never do), but I would take Judon over ZDS so even if he takes a discount its still a big contract or two to his replacements. Pierce I think is 15m and if I am looking right at the BWill contract its only 4.5m to save by cutting him which makes me wonder what the point is exactly. Unless he is just worse than whoever else would be on the field I wonder if he might hold out for 1 more year.
Brandon Carr we have an option on, but could save 6m by cutting him. Of course, I'm hoping his play is as good as it was last season and we take the option, because Jimmy won't be a Raven anymore.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Brandon Carr we have an option on, but could save 6m by cutting him. Of course, I'm hoping his play is as good as it was last season and we take the option, because Jimmy won't be a Raven anymore.
Thinking that both Jimmy and Carr will be gone.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Even if Carr plays well this year, we have more than enough depth at corner to be able to replace him. With another year under his belt, I think Averett can probably slide into that role and play fairly well or, depending on how well he develops as a rookie, Iman Marshall has the prototypical size you want in a starting corner and might be able to assume that role. Tavon also has the versatility to be able to cover on the outside even though he's an elite slot corner.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
We're the Baltimore Ravens and he is a defensive player. There is that. Also, he's an Oklahoma grad. Maybe, just maybe he believes he may feel more at home here considering we are the Sooners East and all? I just think he'd be an awesome addition to our team. There is a big part of me that doesn't want him going to the Browns either who were in the trade market for him but it cooled off...
I think everyone here wants him here but I don’t think he comes here. Just being honest with you man. I don’t think it’s a matter of him wanting to come nor us wanting him here as I think it’s just not happening. It would be great if it did though. He’d definitely bring a nice pass rush to this team.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Geralrd McCoy has always respected us. I remember him saying quite a few really positive things about our organization over the years. Just something to think about.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Don’t know if this has been said yet but McCoy has openly stated recently that he wants to play for the Ravens, but he doesn’t have a visit with us lined up :(

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
For those who don’t think McCoy would be a good signing, here’s what I say...

Look at the 2000 team, we won the super bowl by literally just having the most dominant defense we possibly could, one of the worst offenses in the nfl and we won it all. I fully believe that if we just build the most dominant defense possible, then we can win one in the next 2-3 years. Even if lamar is only slightly better than last year, if our defense goes from, say, 20ppg to 18ppg, then we have gotten way better as a team, with earl Thomas replacing weddle, and if peanut and young are at least competent, then signing a Gerald McCoy to be schemed up by wink is the kind of move that can improve the nfls #1 defense. Don’t look at it as “you can’t improve from #1” because you can, and improving that improves your team and your chances of winning. The way wink puts his best players in a position to make splash plays makes McCoy joining us a really scary thought. That’s the kinda move that puts a good defense over the top and makes them a SCARY defense. McCoy is a beautiful fit here(I don’t wanna hear shit about being a 3-4, he would be an elite 5tech in the base and when we spend most of our snaps in a dime/nickel he would be disgusting as a 3tech, that Dean pees talk needs to die, that’s not us anymore) and with wink getting to give him all the best opportunities we will have a whole lot of sacks and pressure forced turnovers.

I’m never one for rolling guarantees into the future, but this is one I’d be down with, no question. Roll a few mil over to next year, let bwill go next year, let jimmy go, boom we now have net savings out the wazoo even after the McCoy signing, and our defense is drastically better for 2 years than it would’ve been otherwise. McCoy got 6 sacks as a DT last year in a joke situation, he likely outdoes that in this defense, that’s MAJOR improvement. Y’all are sleeping on this idea and idk why, seems like you’re all convincing yourselves it would be a bad move so you aren’t disappointed when it doesn’t happen.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
For those who don’t think McCoy would be a good signing, here’s what I say...

Look at the 2000 team, we won the super bowl by literally just having the most dominant defense we possibly could, one of the worst offenses in the nfl and we won it all. I fully believe that if we just build the most dominant defense possible, then we can win one in the next 2-3 years. Even if lamar is only slightly better than last year, if our defense goes from, say, 20ppg to 18ppg, then we have gotten way better as a team, with earl Thomas replacing weddle, and if peanut and young are at least competent, then signing a Gerald McCoy to be schemed up by wink is the kind of move that can improve the nfls #1 defense. Don’t look at it as “you can’t improve from #1” because you can, and improving that improves your team and your chances of winning. The way wink puts his best players in a position to make splash plays makes McCoy joining us a really scary thought. That’s the kinda move that puts a good defense over the top and makes them a SCARY defense. McCoy is a beautiful fit here(I don’t wanna hear shit about being a 3-4, he would be an elite 5tech in the base and when we spend most of our snaps in a dime/nickel he would be disgusting as a 3tech, that Dean pees talk needs to die, that’s not us anymore) and with wink getting to give him all the best opportunities we will have a whole lot of sacks and pressure forced turnovers.

I’m never one for rolling guarantees into the future, but this is one I’d be down with, no question. Roll a few mil over to next year, let bwill go next year, let jimmy go, boom we now have net savings out the wazoo even after the McCoy signing, and our defense is drastically better for 2 years than it would’ve been otherwise. McCoy got 6 sacks as a DT last year in a joke situation, he likely outdoes that in this defense, that’s MAJOR improvement. Y’all are sleeping on this idea and idk why, seems like you’re all convincing yourselves it would be a bad move so you aren’t disappointed when it doesn’t happen.
That's all true but I don't think he's worth the money he's going to get from the Browns.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
If McCoy makes it through today without signing a deal then hopefully EDC sets up a visit. We should at least get him into the building and see if he's willing to take a discount to come here.