• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I wanted us to draft Sheffield but we got Marshall instead...Marlon, Tevon, so far so good if Marshall pans out we'll be set at corner. Next years 1st rd. pick I vote for Delpit out of LSU. That would solidify our secondary for the next 3 years. As for the Oline we'll see how this season plays out but I believe the Skins will probably lose Brandon Scherff in 2020 so theres that..
I think Delpit will be a top 10 pick next year barring any major slip ups or injury. I really hope we're not picking there

Looks like that Gerald McCoy is taking the weekend to think about which team he wants to choose before making his decision. With the cap room the Browns have, I wouldn’t be surprised if they told McCoy you go out and see what the others offer then call us before you make any final determination. I just feel they will stretch their offer until he can’t refuse it.
Yeah - I fear that the Ravens and the Panthers are nothing more than a means for McCoy to elevate the offer he will get from the team who he knows will out-bid the rest and that's the Browns.

He wants to go to a contender ... even though the Browns aren't a proven commodity, he can certainly state that he believes them to be a contender with all the moves they've made. But, as is most often the case with guys who aren't at the very end of their career, it is going really be about the money.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wanted us to draft Sheffield but we got Marshall instead...Marlon, Tevon, so far so good if Marshall pans out we'll be set at corner. Next years 1st rd. pick I vote for Delpit out of LSU. That would solidify our secondary for the next 3 years. As for the Oline we'll see how this season plays out but I believe the Skins will probably lose Brandon Scherff in 2020 so theres that..

an LSU player? you do realize we're the only franchise in history to never draft an LSU player?

nope. Jimmy smith and carr are more than capable of a big down year at their age and with jimmy cumulative injuries.
Jimmy was speculated by some as being a cap casualty in March. If we want to give a deal to McCoy, there is still an outside chance that Jimmy could be let go for the $9.5M that would be freed.

The following article states that - also throws out the option of extending him, but as the article says, that is highly unlikely (as it would be a high risk move given age and injury history).

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/05/29/baltimore-ravens-salary-cap/signing-gerald-mccoy/

But honestly, I think we lose on the McCoy sweepstakes and stand pat at CB.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jimmy was speculated by some as being a cap casualty in March. If we want to give a deal to McCoy, there is still an outside chance that Jimmy could be let go for the $9.5M that would be freed.

The following article states that - also throws out the option of extending him, but as the article says, that is highly unlikely (as it would be a high risk move given age and injury history).

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/05/29/baltimore-ravens-salary-cap/signing-gerald-mccoy/

But honestly, I think we lose on the McCoy sweepstakes and stand pat at CB.
I’d keep jimmy over signing McCoy tbh. I’ve seen what happens to a good defense when the secondary loses just one starter, it’s not pretty, now if we lose jimmy and then add an injury to that, forget about it. Can’t do it in today’s nfl. I’ll take the potential of our young DL to step up the over the potential of our backup DBs, because leaning on backup DL is inherently way less of a risk than leaning on backup DBs, and also while I’m high on guys like averett, Marshall, Elliott, and Clark, I’m not sold on them, and I’m much higher on a group of Gerald Willis, daylon Mack, Willie Henry, chris wormley, and Zach sieler as a backup rotation

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
IMO the only guy we need to pay will be M.Pierce. We'll pick up stanleys 5th and work with him on that next year for an extension.
I don't think we'll need to break the bank for willie henry unless he explodes which i doubt ( i expect a good 5.5 sack season).

Judon? no. He'll be overpaid elsewhere. I predict one of T.Will, Shane Ray and J.Ferguson will make him obsolete. Simply put, in this day and age, you don't overpay for guys worse than jerry hughes ( that's the baseline for big contracts for OLBS). Guys who aren;t of that standard should not take up so much cap ( ala paul krueger)

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
IMO the only guy we need to pay will be M.Pierce. We'll pick up stanleys 5th and work with him on that next year for an extension.
I don't think we'll need to break the bank for willie henry unless he explodes which i doubt ( i expect a good 5.5 sack season).

Judon? no. He'll be overpaid elsewhere. I predict one of T.Will, Shane Ray and J.Ferguson will make him obsolete. Simply put, in this day and age, you don't overpay for guys worse than jerry hughes ( that's the baseline for big contracts for OLBS). Guys who aren;t of that standard should not take up so much cap ( ala paul krueger)
we already picked up Stanley's 5th yo. Have to do that right after the draft. I agree, the only player we need to resign is Pierce

I’d keep jimmy over signing McCoy tbh. I’ve seen what happens to a good defense when the secondary loses just one starter, it’s not pretty, now if we lose jimmy and then add an injury to that, forget about it. Can’t do it in today’s nfl. I’ll take the potential of our young DL to step up the over the potential of our backup DBs, because leaning on backup DL is inherently way less of a risk than leaning on backup DBs, and also while I’m high on guys like averett, Marshall, Elliott, and Clark, I’m not sold on them, and I’m much higher on a group of Gerald Willis, daylon Mack, Willie Henry, chris wormley, and Zach sieler as a backup rotation
I agree. That's why I don't see us ending up with McCoy. I'd prefer he went somewhere other than Cleveland, but that's where I think he ends up.

I think he would certainly improve us if he just landed on the team with no impact, but we know that's not how things work. I don't really see McCoy as the right player/right price - for us, given our current personnel and given I think we'd be wise to try and keep Pierce and getting McCoy will make that more difficult. He's a bit more proven of an inside pressure guy than anyone we currently have, but I don't know if that upgrade would be worth the move.

Our interest in him IMO is something of an indictment on BWill. I don't think we view him as being worth what we're paying him (I think most here agree). It may also speak to concerns that our young DL may not become what we want them to become, but in the scheme of things, I think there are better ways to expend our resources.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If we are in range to draft delpit, its most likely going to be a QB that we are gonna pick

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Was originally just going to leave that optimistic rating... then realized this is truth.
Nah. I think outside of Tua next year's QB class is overrated with Tua himself being overrated(though still very good).. We should give Lamar one more year..

Because if he sucks ass Trevor Lawrence is there waiting in 2021.......

Is it too early to start the Tank for Trevor thread?,

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Nah. I think outside of Tua next year's QB class is overrated with Tua himself being overrated(though still very good).. We should give Lamar one more year..

In two years, I am predicting now that Trevor Lawrence is going to be one the most coveted quarterbacks to ever the enter the draft. My wife, who adopted Clemson as her college team, is already a diehard fan of his.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
In two years, I am predicting now that Trevor Lawrence is going to be one the most coveted quarterbacks to ever the enter the draft. My wife, who adopted Clemson as her college team, is already a diehard fan of his.
You want a guy who has EVERYTHING... I mean EVERYTHING you look for in a QB. He’s crazy accurate, good at reading defenses, has an arm on par with Mahomes, and is a really good athlete.

To me, and there have been some good QBs the past years, Lawrence is in a rare class with Andrew Luck. Tua and others are playing for second.

@allblackraven COME THE FUCK AT ME

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Again, I'm hoping for Lamar's success... BUT... If we build this team the way we should, happen to suck at qb and then draft Lawrence... OH, MY.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
You want a guy who has EVERYTHING... I mean EVERYTHING you look for in a QB. He’s crazy accurate, good at reading defenses, has an arm on par with Mahomes, and is a really good athlete.

To me, and there have been some good QBs the past years, Lawrence is in a rare class with Andrew Luck. Tua and others are playing for second.

@allblackraven COME THE FUCK AT ME
Sunshine has one big NOTHING on Tua.
He is also unsuccessfully attempting to compensate for ugly mug with that long blonde hair. Couldn't cut it as a surfer (all the girls laughed him out off the beach), so he switched to football, just forgot to take a haircut.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Sunshine has one big NOTHING on Tua.
He is also unsuccessfully attempting to compensate for ugly mug with that long blonde hair. Couldn't cut it as a surfer (all the girls laughed him out off the beach), so he switched to football, just forgot to take a haircut.
Oh he’s got something on Tua alright

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Oh he’s got something on Tua alright

tenor.gif

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wasn’t sure about Lawrence until this year, when he rolled tf over bama in the championship I was convinced. He really is special, like REALLY special, absolutely should have the same hype as Andrew luck coming out, as he’s the same type of perfect qb prospect. And tuas knee scares tf out of me and it’s a shame because I was extremely high on tua, but that knee gets scarier every other week when he comes up hobbling again.

If lamar is trash and we end up picking really high, I’m looking at either Justin Herbert for 2020, or trading back for a Kings ransom for Justin Herbert and giving ourselves all needed resources to trade up for Lawrence. Maybe after a fat trade back we have enough picks to build the OL, draft Henry Ruggs on day 2, and trade up to 1 the following year