• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

JUSTIN HOUSTON
LB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Chiefs released OLB Justin Houston.
This was always the most likely outcome given the $32.25 million still owed to the 30-year-old over the next two seasons. Houston's release frees up $14 million in cap and $15.5 million in cash this upcoming season, giving the Chiefs more than enough room to work with in their reported hunt for another starting safety once free agency officially opens. Houston's performance has slipped in recent seasons, but he can still be a serviceable edge rusher in limited packages on the right team.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Rapaport said it somewhere but unfortunately I can't find it anymore.
Rapaport is notorious for having duplicate fake accounts on twitter on people trying to stir the pot. If you can't find it, it's probably a deleted one of those.

Cite your damn sources people. Smh

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rapaport is notorious for having duplicate fake accounts on twitter on people trying to stir the pot. If you can't find it, it's probably a deleted one of those.

Cite your damn sources people. Smh
I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. Rapoport said it in an nfl network segment. I just can't find this video anymore

EDIT:All I can remember is Rapaport or Garafolo said they were surprised DeCosta didn't tag CJ. Rapaport then mentioned that he talked to several GM's and he's convinced that CJ will receive the same amount as under the tag i.e 17m. Again I'm just paraphrasing.

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
We have the cap room, so why not. I mean while we have the cap room and I know we'll have more cap room later why not give him the $15M & $17M the first two years and back load the remaining three years(assuming it would be a 5 year deal).

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
raquan smith and them boys from the cowboys look outstanding.when you say contending, do you mean SB? Cause if so i cant see that happening within 2yrs anyway.

I see a SB contender because they were 1 starting Center (I hate you Skura) from that THIS year and assuming they replace Weddle easily, the defense with Mosley will mot be worse, it might be better.

The offense will have good Hurst and Andrews growing in their second year so should also be better and most importantly the rest of the AFC isn't scary.

KC is a little worse, NE is a little worse, Pitt is a LOT worse, so there is no one to fear. The only team to watch out for is the Browns but I don't know if they know how to win yet.

Simba

Staff Member
I highly doubt Mosley and his agent care about the cap hits. It's all about the guaranteed money. They couldn't give a shit less how it's structured as long as they get the guarantees.

Simba

Staff Member
he probably cares about guarantees through year 2 - id imagine what he wants is a massive signing bonus and guaranteed base salaries in year 1 and 2 at least

I'd be surprised if years 1 and 2 weren't guaranteed in this type of large deal regardless, but I have a hard time believing an agent would be stupid enough to demand certain numbers in those years. Doing that would just drop the signing bonus and make it much more likely for a player not to reach the end of that deal.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd be surprised if years 1 and 2 weren't guaranteed in this type of large deal regardless, but I have a hard time believing an agent would be stupid enough to demand certain numbers in those years. Doing that would just drop the signing bonus and make it much more likely for a player not to reach the end of that deal.
well said and it is absolutely true that large contracts tend to have the first two years salary included on many occasions.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
hopefully this Ravens interest in Honey Badger isn't just another ... being ..., if you know what I mean.

The NFL's most informed 'OUTSIDER'

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Ur point is that a source wasn’t cited.. which one was so that makes no sense lol
No. That's not my point. Schefter and Rappaport are notorious for having duplicated fake accounts on twitter to stir the pot. If they deleted the tweet, how much credibility did they source THEY got the news from have? If it was a fake account then you need to cite the source anyways to call the BS out

rossihunter2

Staff Member

you're 100% right - why would they forego getting more money straight away just so that they have money guaranteed in year 2? it makes no financial sense for the player

No. That's not my point. Schefter and Rappaport are notorious for having duplicated fake accounts on twitter to stir the pot. If they deleted the tweet, how much credibility did they source THEY got the news from have? If it was a fake account then you need to cite the source anyways to call the BS out
Im 100% it was Raps real account as I follow him on twitter and it was his

Simba

Staff Member
you're 100% right - why would they forego getting more money straight away just so that they have money guaranteed in year 2? it makes no financial sense for the player

I mean, bonuses are taxed a huge amount here in Maryland, so I'm sure that factors in to some extent. I know my bank account feels it lol. But it's still not a common practice anywhere. Just doesn't seem to be a report with much merit or sense behind it, regardless of whether it came from Ian Rapoport or Ivan Rappopport.