• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Interesting read. Surprised to read the defenses stats in Mosley absence and that Mosley had, according to the article, a statistically down year in 2018.
https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/02/22/street-talk/the-case-against-re-signing-c-j-mosley/

a major conceit of that article is that the defence managed well enough without CJ because Weddle took over playcalling yet forgets to mention that Weddle is also now gone...

and he did have a statistical down year - id say this was probably the 2nd best year of his career though after 2016 - there's literally zero context or film to the analysis of those CJ stats nor is it doing anything particularly perceptive with those stats in the first place

N.B. just realised this was written pre-weddle release - doesnt really change the fact that weddle was expected to be gone anyway

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The dollar amount. I wouldn’t pay 15 a year for kuechly let alone cj
that's what I thought you meant, just wanted to be clear. That being said, Kuechly is totally worth it (his cap this year is 17m - avg yrly 12.5 from a contract written in 2015. It will be interested what his contract looks like next year when he is up for an extension,

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
if eric doesnt pay CJ what he apparently wants, that'll impress me. CJ's resume is far more impressive than his actual ability. There are some players who are like that

for instance on the opposite end of the spectrum

Marshal Yanda should really be a 10 time pro bowler not 7.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
if eric doesnt pay CJ what he apparently wants, that'll impress me. CJ's resume is far more impressive than his actual ability. There are some players who are like that

yanda is far more impressive at his position than mosley is at his.. imo there are a few lbs id consider taking over mosley right now.. for yanda, maybe only 2

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Pro Bowls doesn't mean a thing. Their is too much fan vote accounted for if they go or not and when you are playing for a team with a small fan base you stand a smaller chance of getting in. Only a few players can get that national notoriety, like Reed, Ogden, Ray etc..., but mostly it's a popularity vote.

I see CJ as being worth 12.5m average per season, but he most likely will get paid more than that. If that's with us, I hope the average doesn't go above 14m per year.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pro Bowls doesn't mean a thing. Their is too much fan vote accounted for if they go or not and when you are playing for a team with a small fan base you stand a smaller chance of getting in. Only a few players can get that national notoriety, like Reed, Ogden, Ray etc..., but mostly it's a popularity vote.

I see CJ as being worth 12.5m average per season, but he most likely will get paid more than that. If that's with us, I hope the average doesn't go above 14m per year.

I hope Eric doesn't budge. CJ is 9-10 mill tops. He's not an elite ILB or even a top 5 one. He's between the 8-15 range.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I hope Eric doesn't budge. CJ is 9-10 mill tops. He's not an elite ILB or even a top 5 one. He's between the 8-15 range.
i disagree with that. especially with mckinney getting 10m per year. mosley is much better than he is

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Im saying in mosley situation.. if thats what luke or wagner wanted id pay. If you wouldnt pay them 15, you shouldnt wanna pay mosley 12
I’m ok with paying Mosley 12 for the simple fact that our defenses overall iq and organization takes a massive hit without him and that would be worth it, I’d pay those other guys 13.5 a year, Mosley id pay 12 tops, if we do it for 13 then fine but it’s not what I’d wanna spend that money on. I’d rather throw 16m at a premiere pass rusher and let Mosley walk and take the comp pick