• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Name our wr corps
Name our safety tandem
Name our LB tandem
Name our entire group of edge rushers
Then name options we have on the market and what we’ve decided to do to address this giant gaping holes...

Oh then realize that we entirely passed on both centers on the market and Matt Skura and James hurst are still our starting C and LG while the browns have what looks like the best front 4 in football.

Right now, there is good reason for the panic. The roster has completely fallen apart, the browns are leaps and bounds better than any other team in this division, and we’ve done literally nothing to get better.

For your post to be true/accurate, young, peanut, Clark, Elliott, bowser, twilliams, Bozeman, and lasley better be pretty fucking good, otherwise this team is not competitive. You act like once the league year begins we’re gonna do something lol, there’s nobody out there even worth signing unless it’s houston and a safety and even then they aren’t the greatest signings, and we don’t have the draft capital to make a trade. That’s why we’re freaking out, we’ve watched this team fade into nothing over the years because of this exact approach.

Can’t wait to see us with a bunch Correa and kaufusi like draft picks
So tell me which contract you would have matched

Tank

Hall of Famer
The Ravens FO obviously has a master plan and it doesn’t include a “win now” piece. The path for a major retool was set last year mid season, hell maybe even started last year at this time if you look at how they drafted and ignored the O line issues. They were never going to be all in FA participants this year in any bidding war for any player. I think the hope here is that we have a genius GM in Decosta that will do this thing the right. In the interim it seems it’s time to accept there will be growing pains and temper any expectations for immediate success.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So tell me which contract you would have matched
Bells. He’s making around 13m per year, are you telling me that a guy who should be well over 2k scrimmage yards, lead us in rushes, lead us in receptions, and double digit touchdowns every year, isn’t worth that?

Bell is who he is and there are questions but dude is legitimately the best dual threat back in the league and the kind of player we desperately needed.

You can keep up with that “who would you have overpaid” attitude, but it’s not overpaying if that’s what the market is, and for us the cupboard is completely bare. We barely have a team to field at this point, we literally don’t have enough WRs to fill the roster.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
We’ve had a 2 year plan since 2013 lol
Next year we will have no dead money and a fuckton of draft capital if things stand this way. When is the last time we had the oportunity to say that?

Everything remains to be done. We were never going to be big players this year and ensuring we keep our young guns is the only thing that we should hope for.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
We’ve had a 2 year plan since 2013 lol
We've had a two year plan for the 2017 and 2018 season. +/- all defensive draft and all offensive draft in 2017 and 2018, respectively.
The output was one single playoff game we lost in an embarrassing manner. I don't like these 2 year plans in general, there are only few scenarios where I actually like them.
However I'll wait to judge Eric after the fa and draft period.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Next year we will have no dead money and a fuckton of draft capital if things stand this way. When is the last time we had the oportunity to say that?

Everything remains to be done. We were never going to be big players this year and ensuring we keep our young guns is the only thing that we should hope for.
We would’ve had a fuckton of cap space after signing bell as well.

And we wanted to keep the young guns but the most important of those young guns is gone, thus the gloom and doom.

If this is what’s going on(I don’t believe so, I think it’s just classic decosta frugality) then where are the big resources coming from for this massive offseason of rebuilding? Teams like the browns and raiders got to this point by trading and getting massive hauls of draft capital, we aren’t gonna be getting that, we don’t have anything to offer.

On top of all this, we have developed exactly one receiver in our entire franchises history. Our OL needs 2 immediate starters and a third for the future. We haven’t done extremely well with pass rushers and hybrid LBs lately as bowser and Tim Williams are going the way of Correa so far. And up until last year we have been absolutely horrible on day 2 of the draft, and overall our top picks have been disappointing to say the least, aside from Stanley Humphrey and lamar so far.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

And we wanted to keep the young guns but the most important of those young guns is gone, thus the gloom and doom.

If this is what’s going on(I don’t believe so, I think it’s just classic decosta frugality) then where are the big resources coming from for this massive offseason of rebuilding? Teams like the browns and raiders got to this point by trading and getting massive hauls of draft capital, we aren’t gonna be getting that, we don’t have anything to offer.

On top of all this, we have developed exactly one receiver in our entire franchises history. Our OL needs 2 immediate starters and a third for the future. We haven’t done extremely well with pass rushers and hybrid LBs lately as bowser and Tim Williams are going the way of Correa so far. And up until last year we have been absolutely horrible on day 2 of the draft, and overall our top picks have been disappointing to say the least, aside from Stanley Humphrey and lamar so far.
Who said there would be a massive rebuild this offseason? Not De Costa I hope because we have no cap to spend. All we can do right now is manage the roster and clean up the salary cap from heavy contracts and have a healthier financial situation for the short future.

We can't hand contracts whith 16M in cap space. That's less than what Mosley, Smith, Flowers are getting and barely more than Morse, Collins, Matthieu. And trust me those contracts will sting for their team in a few years (except Morse).

The only available strategy is to be patient and get those comp picks while waiting for roster cuts and sign a few vets on bargain deals to feel some holes before the draft.

Then there is the possibility to trade some picks for good players. But usually traded players carry a heavy contract so once again, maybe not this year. Next year with all those CP and more cap however, is a different story...

Tank

Hall of Famer

You know this but just to remind, the Browns and Raiders came into their situations by wallowing in years of mediocrity and bottom dwelling.

Not sure why we have sucked so bad at drafting/developing receivers, but it’s a valid point that this has been the Achilles heal of the franchise for the past 20 years.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Who said there would be a massive rebuild this offseason? Not De Costa I hope because we have no cap to spend. All we can do right now is manage the roster and clean up the salary cap from heavy contracts and have a healthier financial situation for the short future.

We can't hand contracts whith 16M in cap space. That's less than what Mosley, Smith, Flowers are getting and barely more than Morse, Collins, Matthieu. And trust me those contracts will sting for their team in a few years (except Morse).

The only available strategy is to be patient and get those comp picks while waiting for roster cuts and sign a few vets on bargain deals to feel some holes before the draft.

Then there is the possibility to trade some picks for good players. But usually traded players carry a heavy contract so once again, maybe not this year. Next year with all those CP and more cap however, is a different story...
Well let’s just say that our drafting, signings, and cap management haven’t inspired hope. The tony Jefferson and Brandon Williams signings, the WRs we chose to draft last year, the refusal to address the OL, making picks like Correa over Michael Thomas and bowser over juju and Hurst over Ridley/Hernandez, these moves don’t inspire much hope.

We can have a plan all we want but we have to execute that plan and I just don’t trust us to, and if we have so much cap next year then how are we unable to make a move for a Mitch Morse or Le’Veon bell and fit it under the cap by moving just a few mil into next years cap?

Lamar is gonna have to be something very special for us to even be competitive at this rate, I feel a top 10, maybe even top 5 pick in the 2020 draft coming with this team, and a majority of the fan base turned on lamar because he has even less help than joe had.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You know this but just to remind, the Browns and Raiders came into their situations by wallowing in years of mediocrity and bottom dwelling.

Not sure why we have sucked so bad at drafting/developing receivers, but it’s a valid point that this has been the Achilles heal of the franchise for the past 20 years.
It’s not just the receivers, we have been pretty unspectacular in drafting period. We’ve been comparable to the packers, we find a gem here and there but overall our day 1 and 2 picks tend to become nothing more than average players and meanwhile we are always tight against the cap.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Well let’s just say that our drafting, signings, and cap management haven’t inspired hope. The tony Jefferson and Brandon Williams signings, the WRs we chose to draft last year, the refusal to address the OL, making picks like Correa over Michael Thomas and bowser over juju and Hurst over Ridley/Hernandez, these moves don’t inspire much hope.

We can have a plan all we want but we have to execute that plan and I just don’t trust us to, and if we have so much cap next year then how are we unable to make a move for a Mitch Morse or Le’Veon bell and fit it under the cap by moving just a few mil into next years cap?

Lamar is gonna have to be something very special for us to even be competitive at this rate, I feel a top 10, maybe even top 5 pick in the 2020 draft coming with this team, and a majority of the fan base turned on lamar because he has even less help than joe had.
It's no use to complain about mistakes from a few years ago. And Jefferson is very good (at half the price of Landon Collins), plus Hurst if healthy will bring major dividends in this offense.

The present situation tough is that if you want to invest around Lamar you need to be ewtremely careful about how you spend the few resources you have. The Colts didn't sign any big names last year and still found contributors (Autry, Hunt, Desir, Grant) for cheap deals. And now they have a huge salary cap this year thanks to that. That is the blueprint we shlould try to emulate.

Tank

Hall of Famer
It’s not just the receivers, we have been pretty unspectacular in drafting period. We’ve been comparable to the packers, we find a gem here and there but overall our day 1 and 2 picks tend to become nothing more than average players and meanwhile we are always tight against the cap.
Yeah, more recently that’s been the case in the draft. The bad contracts and situations have contributed to the cap woes, starting long ago with guys like Grbac and Leon Searcy and continuing on with others like Pitta, RR, Monroe, Webb, etc., etc..

I mean it is what it is. To put things in perspective, a guy that works for me is from Alabama and a die hard Falcons fan. We were talking yesterday about all of the players the Ravens have recently lost, uncertainties at QB and how it may be a while before they are good again. At the end he said “How many SBs have you guys won? Man do you know how much I’d like to see my Falcons win just one?” Made me smile.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sport Trac already has us at 108 million next season in cap space I’m not sure how much cap room we need lol
very 28 active contracts. Overthecap has us at 119m. We will have a ton of money in the next free agency period and still believe money will be spent this offseason.

If we were going to spend 8M/season, why would we prefer Ingram who has a gazillion miles over Tevon, who also likely comes cheaper and is much younger and more dynamic?
This. Ingram doesn’t quite fit the “put young playmakers around Lamar” line we’ve heard

The Ravens FO obviously has a master plan and it doesn’t include a “win now” piece. The path for a major retool was set last year mid season, hell maybe even started last year at this time if you look at how they drafted and ignored the O line issues. They were never going to be all in FA participants this year in any bidding war for any player. I think the hope here is that we have a genius GM in Decosta that will do this thing the right. In the interim it seems it’s time to accept there will be growing pains and temper any expectations for immediate success.
So another words were gonna suck next year. Really didn’t see that coming. Hope a death season doesn’t crush the confidence of our young QB because if he doesn’t come along no amount of cap space next year will save us.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, more recently that’s been the case in the draft. The bad contracts and situations have contributed to the cap woes, starting long ago with guys like Grbac and Leon Searcy and continuing on with others like Pitta, RR, Monroe, Webb, etc., etc..

I mean it is what it is. To put things in perspective, a guy that works for me is from Alabama and a die hard Falcons fan. We were talking yesterday about all of the players the Ravens have recently lost, uncertainties at QB and how it may be a while before they are good again. At the end he said “How many SBs have you guys won? Man do you know how much I’d like to see my Falcons win just one?” Made me smile.

Our 2 Super Bowls are nice to have but personally, I want to see the Ravens become a perennial team that's always seen as the team to beat in their division and conference and one of the favorites to reach the Super Bowl (i.e. Patriots). For the past few seasons and as of now, they are not seen in that manner whatsoever. First, we had to deal with the Steelers nearly always being pubbed up over us, then the Bengals had our number for the past few seasons and now, look who is getting all of the shine in the division over us because of their early free agency acquisitions so far. The freakin' clowns man! :envy: :mad: