• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ingram despite being a year older is a much better runner than Coleman
I’m not fond of signing Ingram but I want nothing to do with Coleman, he is nothing special and just not nearly the same runner that Ingram is. I always thought Coleman was scheme limited and despite his size runs pretty soft, and needs a stretch based offense, I compared him to Arian foster in college and stick by that comparison to this day.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It’s not just the receivers, we have been pretty unspectacular in drafting period. We’ve been comparable to the packers, we find a gem here and there but overall our day 1 and 2 picks tend to become nothing more than average players and meanwhile we are always tight against the cap.
The one thing DeCosta promised is responsible cap management. So far, he did exactly that.
How would paying Bell 13 per help with breaking from "always tight against the cap" situation?
Extra points and extra respect for Eric not showing any interest in attention seeking prick like Bell.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The one thing DeCosta promised is responsible cap management. So far, he did exactly that.
How would paying Bell 13 per help with breaking from "always tight against the cap" situation?
Extra points and extra respect for Eric not showing any interest in attention seeking prick like Bell.
we as fans have to let him put his plan in place and if he succeeds, that's terrific. If he fails, well we move on.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Markus Golden as a FA is interesting . Struggled coming off injury and taking on a switch to DE last year but if he could sniff his 2016 production moving back to OLB. Shaq Barrett at the right price is also interesting.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
We were never going to fill all our holes in one offseason. I also don’t think any expected us to do that. I think it’s all nervousness due to anxiety because the Browns appear legitimately good and talented for once and now we’re all worried.

Simba

Staff Member
While Bell would have been nice solely for the fact that it's been a long time since this team has had a legit "superstar," I'm not hurt at all that we weren't even in. There's a lot of risk there, especially at that amount. I don't doubt that he would have made a big impact, but at the same time, it's a whole shitload of money to pay for a RB - even though I recognize that he does different things.

Otherwise, what is the expectation for DeCosta at this point? Are people really expecting him to go out and throw this big money at players who are clearly not worth it? I'd argue that Paradis is literally the only deal given so far that I would have matched, but his market was definitely slow and you have to think there's a deeper reason behind that. I don't know... I guess I just don't get it. You either complain about the fact that we have no players, or complain about the bad contracts and dead money. DeCosta is in a no win situation right now, and FA hasn't even technically started.

There are still a lot of quality players available and historically, that's where the Ravens do their work in FA. Let the bad teams throw the big money, and then come in and find the leftovers for a more reasonable rate. The Ingram deal would be surprising to me, but it would also depend on the numbers. I'd be highly shocked if it even approached $7.5M/year as some have said.

Just be patient. The only real guys we've lost so far are Mosley and Suggs. The rest were 100% expected. Mosley you simply couldn't pay $17M a year and I'd bet we can find better ways to spend that money, despite how much I wanted him to stay. Suggs is more of sentimental loss, and I'm sure we can find similar production for the money we were going to give him once things start to clear up.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
In FA you either have to overpay or accept being a team of average players and average players do not win a title (or you are the Pats who get people to take a discount because they are the Pats)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
wonder what our defense will look like next season. Feel really bad for Wink, but this year is really going to prove his worth.

We were never going to fill all our holes in one offseason. I also don’t think any expected us to do that. I think it’s all nervousness due to anxiety because the Browns appear legitimately good and talented for once and now we’re all worried.
No doubt the moves the Browns are making is a big part of the current panic. They are set to be the favorites to take the division... by a fucking lot and for more than this year.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watched about two quarters of Shaq Barrett vs. ravens. He looks like a perfect replacement for Zadarius at a much lower price point. Not as stiff, better in coverage...physical open field tackler, sets the edge in run defense. Has a plan as an edge rusher...knows how to use his hands and is diverse in how he rushes. Rushes outside and inside over lineman. ....also from Baltimore

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Losing all these players doesn’t annoy me, I understand it. It’s that we were not even involved with trying to sign Bell. Basically they are telling Lamar you are on your own, but at least we we get you an overpaid 29 year old RB that is a little better than we have. No reason to sign anyone that will negate a comp pick just draft whatever at this point because we have so many holes to fill on both sides of the ball it doesn’t really matter.

It's no use to complain about mistakes from a few years ago. And Jefferson is very good (at half the price of Landon Collins), plus Hurst if healthy will bring major dividends in this offense.

The present situation tough is that if you want to invest around Lamar you need to be ewtremely careful about how you spend the few resources you have. The Colts didn't sign any big names last year and still found contributors (Autry, Hunt, Desir, Grant) for cheap deals. And now they have a huge salary cap this year thanks to that. That is the blueprint we shlould try to emulate.
The colts also had the best oline in the league and andrew luck came back... they were already a good team with luck at qb

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
wonder what our defense will look like next season. Feel really bad for Wink, but this year is really going to prove his worth.

I'm actually hopeful for our defense next season. While I hate that both Suggs and CJ are headed to greener pastures (for them and their families), I am encouraged about the possibility of our defense getting both younger and faster! Speed kills and we need young lions at the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense to contend with cats like A.J. Green and now the Landry/OBJ connection.

Here's to hoping that DeCosta does something spectacular to improve this team. :beer:

Simba

Staff Member
In FA you either have to overpay or accept being a team of average players and average players do not win a title (or you are the Pats who get people to take a discount because they are the Pats)

How many of these teams spending big money right now do you actually see winning a SB though? I'd think the Browns are probably the only team, and that's part of a larger rebuild of getting rid of shitty players, building through the draft, and supplementing the rest of the team with these FA/trade acquisitions.

Yeah, sometimes you have to overpay to get a guy, but you don't overpay for every single need on your team, which is kind of the situation the Ravens are in right now with a lot of holes. If you have a good team with a developing window and a couple of holes, that's when you splurge and overpay. You don't overpay in the midst of a retool/rebuild. A lot of these teams that spent big money over the last 2 days will be clearing them all out in 2-3 years and doing the same thing all over again.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not surprised that we didn't land Bell, just disappointed. If we're willing to spend $8M/yr on Ingram then you mean to tell me that we couldn't dedicate a few million more to lure Bell away from NY?

I really hope we don't get Ingram. Look at what the Browns have done already to their team, take that money, and get some fucking pass rushers because we're royally fucked otherwise. We can't go into the season thinking that Bowser and Tim Williams are going to step up especially when Harbs will probably bench Timmy at some point anyway.