• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Raven

Veteran
I am not convinced that people who want strict gun control are in the majority. I think a lot of people support banning bump stocks and good background checks done, but I am not sure the majority of Americans want to go as far as you would probably want us to go.
Oh absolutely. Not everyone's the pinko-commie liberal that I am lol

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think they should vote. Voting is our most fundamental, intrinsic right.

Which ones aren't being enforced?

How do I know it won't be needed? Well, I don't, but I'm also not paranoid about government. We got rid of England because they were giving us a pretty raw deal -- taxation without representation and no voice in government. It's different now -- we do have a voice in government.

To me, the right's fear of a tyrannical federal government stems from their disagreeing with Democratic leaders on domestic policy. The right opposes universal healthcare, tuition free higher education, and gun control, arguing that it creates big government. Yet, those ideas are supported by the majority of voters. We govern by democracy here -- majority rules. Over half the country wants gun control. You are in a minority group that is getting smaller every day.

So, how do you reconcile your apparent fear of tyrannical, big government when, in actuality, public policy is decided by majority vote? That doesn't sound all that tyrannical to me.

Moreover, in the off chance that the government becomes tyrannical and authoritarian, how do they enslave us? With the military and the troops? Would you propose that our troops would be complicit in a government takeover?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1274287

Interesting article but on the enforcement a lot of it hangs on the legal system itself. On voting too felons should not vote (maybe after a 10 yr clean period) just like they shouldn't be able to purchase firearms. Should have a price to pay imo. Getting back to the enforcement tho I'm sure you have heard about people getting arrested after having long rap sheets which a lot of times contains gun offenses (sometimes multiple times). Too bad a lot of times these guys haven't seen real hard time until something really bad happens like a murder. So possession itself is not being strongly enough enforced. Also when you say over half the country says they want stronger gun laws according to the article that you left in a previuos post it said only 51% with the majority of those saying they also want the laws we have now more strongly enforced.

Also this is not a true democracy. The electoral college ring a bell. This is a federation of states that runs on democracy principles but of course its not or urban and heavily populated areas would be completely running the country giving less dense areas absolutely no say. Also in a true democracy the people decide the laws.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Not advocating the use of alcohol, but having a few beers is a much better idea than arguing about stinking politics.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not advocating the use of alcohol, but having a few beers is a much better idea than arguing about stinking politics.

Especially when those boys on both sides don't really make decisions with our needs in mind

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm sick to my stomach over the latest developments in Syria... Putin warning of grave consequences if the US responds to the chemical attacks, Israel is already being blamed for the retaliatory strike, which will obviously blow back on the US, and god dammit you just can't keep letting Assad and his Russian backing commit these atrocities...

Just what will Russia do if we go and remove Assad from power? How far will they go? Is putin ready to light the spark that ends the world? Is he just fake flexing when he claims to havbe nukes that can travel undetected anywhere in the world? Is he talking political consequences or military consequences? Will he have a traditional war if it comes to that or would he rather launch nukes and take the world down with him? This shit is scary.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I'm sick to my stomach over the latest developments in Syria... Putin warning of grave consequences if the US responds to the chemical attacks, Israel is already being blamed for the retaliatory strike, which will obviously blow back on the US, and god dammit you just can't keep letting Assad and his Russian backing commit these atrocities...

Just what will Russia do if we go and remove Assad from power? How far will they go? Is putin ready to light the spark that ends the world? Is he just fake flexing when he claims to havbe nukes that can travel undetected anywhere in the world? Is he talking political consequences or military consequences? Will he have a traditional war if it comes to that or would he rather launch nukes and take the world down with him? This shit is scary.
I just can’t believe that Putin would side with a madman who is using chemical poison gas weapons on innocent people. Our President is in a tough situation here and I am so glad I do not have the weight of this situation on my shoulders. I will pray to God that Trump speaks with other world leaders and allies to discuss a joint united response to this grave situation.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Not sure what to do here Joey. Its a damn if you do damn if you don't situation. What Assad did is pretty much the most inhumane thing you can do to any human being but the question to me is why he did it. He did it once before and we let them have it with a missile attack but doing it now makes it seem like they're really prepared and have something up their sleeve. I'd tread carefully but we cant let it lay.

Also didn't Obama already have this taken care of?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The murder rates in the US and Britain still aren't remotely close.
Neither is the crime and drug culture. Brits don't share borders with entire world regions who all have governments who have bowed down to the more powerful drug cartels.
If you think it's comparable you are wrong. The drug culture is responsible for a ridiculous percentage of our murders, and the UK don't suffer the consequences of sharing borders with cartel run regions

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I am hearing reports that France and Britain offered support for a response to Assad’s chemical weapons attack and we have been in talks with them regarding a response. I am glad that there seems to be a united front with our allies.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just can’t believe that Putin would side with a madman who is using chemical poison gas weapons on innocent people. Our President is in a tough situation here and I am so glad I do not have the weight of this situation on my shoulders. I will pray to God that Trump speaks with other world leaders and allies to discuss a joint united response to this grave situation.
I'm pretty sure I've already seen reports that he's being cautious here.
Not sure what to do here Joey. Its a damn if you do damn if you don't situation. What Assad did is pretty much the most inhumane thing you can do to any human being but the question to me is why he did it. He did it once before and we let them have it with a missile attack but doing it now makes it seem like they're really prepared and have something up their sleeve. I'd tread carefully but we cant let it lay.

Also didn't Obama already have this taken care of?

yeah I also get a bad feeling that Russia is playing the long con here. The attack and response a year ago felt like just another incident, this one feels different, it feels like a calculated move that could spark something really bad

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm pretty sure I've already seen reports that he's being cautious here.

yeah I also get a bad feeling that Russia is playing the long con here. The attack and response a year ago felt like just another incident, this one feels different, it feels like a calculated move that could spark something really bad

Its also kinda funny how Trump said he wanted to pull out of Syria and now this attack. It just doesn't add up.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Neither is the crime and drug culture. Brits don't share borders with entire world regions who all have governments who have bowed down to the more powerful drug cartels.
If you think it's comparable you are wrong. The drug culture is responsible for a ridiculous percentage of our murders, and the UK don't suffer the consequences of sharing borders with cartel run regions
Canada is a cartel run region and Ireland is a hunky dory place in recent years? News to me.

In any case, look at France, Germany, any Scandanavian country, China (Asia is massive for opiates).

It's not like there's a little discrepency; it's so monumental that drugs aren't an explanation. People are more likely to steal or rob than they are to kill when it comes to drugs.

I'll also say the horribly ironic thing about the entire cartel situation is over 80% of all guns seized from cartels are American made.

Status
Not open for further replies.