• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
where did i say "no matter what"...

but yes - everyone says innocent until proven guilty to defend attackers/alleged attackers but forget to allow that same idea for their accuser - the number of women who are treated like criminals by large facets of the public because of their accusations is staggering

I believe women.
I believe survivors.
What else can this mean?

Unfortunately for the accuser she didn't know where she was, how she got there, why this group of people were together, how she got home. The main thing is all the witnesses said it never happened and the most damning one was her girlfriend who said she didn't even know Kavanaugh. Now think about she ran off and left her gf in the house and never had to explain why she left?

Thing is @cobrajet told you the main important thing. The accuser is never charged with a crime.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe women.
I believe survivors.
What else can this mean?

Unfortunately for the accuser she didn't know where she was, how she got there, why this group of people were together, how she got home. The main thing is all the witnesses said it never happened and the most damning one was her girlfriend who said she didn't even know Kavanaugh. Now think about she ran off and left her gf in the house and never had to explain why she left?

Thing is @cobrajet told you the main important thing. The accuser is never charged with a crime.

I think people are forgetting the point of the investigation. It was never to see who is or isn't guilty. It was to see if he would be a good fit based on his actions and track record for a position that is going to be for life if I am not mistaken.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think people are forgetting the point of the investigation. It was never to see who is or isn't guilty. It was to see if he would be a good fit based on his actions and track record for a position that is going to be for life if I am not mistaken.

You are mistaken. He was already a federal judge and had already went thru 6 FBI background checks during his career. This last one was strictly about the assault accusations.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Something about these recent bomb mailings just seems weird to me, I mean, two weeks before midterms to people either out of power or not in contested spots? and then there's the ones with clocks with no alarms and multi-colored wires? Not saying it isnt just straight up terrorism, it just doesn't make much sense to me.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

You are mistaken. He was already a federal judge and had already went thru 6 FBI background checks during his career. This last one was strictly about the assault accusations.
These background checks won't check into someone's character or into accusations that were never put through the court system, so I don't think six background investigations is necessarily relevant to this investigation.

And he gtalk isn't really incorrect. The investigation was never to decide innocence or guilt or to send this for prosecution; this was simply to gather relevant information into an alleged incident that happened when he was in high school/college and provide that to Congress for Congress to decide if he was a fit for the job based on these accusations and other character marks.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Yeah the more I look into it the less sense this whole thing would make for a Repub to do. I think even the person who helped catch the Unabomber said this looks like a load of BS. I'll have to look for the link though
https://www.news.com.au/world/north...b/news-story/7b0039e1b3d64be436a49c2a6ad5a49a

This was the best I could find, where one of the experts on the Unabomber case said it was possible it was a false flag but wouldn't lock into it. Maybe I'm misreading his comment, but he also said (and I agree) that whoever did it is clearly at the unhinged end of the spectrum and probably acting on their own volition (no matter the affiliation of the person who sent it).

Whoever it was, the experts seem to think there'll be enough evidence to find them and hopefully it happens fairly quickly.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/o...pipe-bomb-threat-suspicious-package-envelope/

On a different topic, I see Trump isn't chirping about the stock market anymore. I'll reiterate my stance that the stock market doesn't have an awful lot to do with the real economy (especially these days) and a president has very little to do with either, but given the right's silence on this one I don't want to see them getting excited about the next bull run.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This was the best I could find, where one of the experts on the Unabomber case said it was possible it was a false flag but wouldn't lock into it. Maybe I'm misreading his comment, but he also said (and I agree) that whoever did it is clearly at the unhinged end of the spectrum and probably acting on their own volition (no matter the affiliation of the person who sent it).

You mean to say that all the violent rhetoric fixated on certain figures associated with one side of political spectrum has led to them being targeted by someone who didn't get the "joke"?

What a surprise! /s

Inqui

Pro Bowler
You mean to say that all the violent rhetoric fixated on certain figures associated with one side of political spectrum has led to them being targeted by someone who didn't get the "joke"?

What a surprise! /s
I mean I don't disagree. For all the talk from the right of Obama being divisive he never called Fox News the "enemy of the people" or anything like that. The filtration of toxicity has been happening in the US for years and I don't see it going away any time soon. For all the talk of the current POTUS being the cause of it I think he's more a symptom - though I wouldn't disagree with the "exacerbator" case either.

Chuck in people believing conspiracy theories wholesale (though again that's not new, just worse and more prevalent than before) and you have to think this won't be the last time something like this happens.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean I don't disagree. For all the talk from the right of Obama being divisive he never called Fox News the "enemy of the people" or anything like that. The filtration of toxicity has been happening in the US for years and I don't see it going away any time soon. For all the talk of the current POTUS being the cause of it I think he's more a symptom - though I wouldn't disagree with the "exacerbator" case either.

Chuck in people believing conspiracy theories wholesale (though again that's not new, just worse and more prevalent than before) and you have to think this won't be the last time something like this happens.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/ti...-fox-news-reporter-james-rosen-134204299.html

No he just spied on FOX and had phone records taken and called FOX " utterly destructive". No biggie right

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Dom McRaven and @Ludy51 We most definitely have to wait for all the evidence and I seriously doubt the politicians were in on it. But let me say one thing the left has absolutely no room to talk. They've talked about blowing up the WH, held Trumps bloody head in their hands, all these Hollywood stars talk about punching him in the face, the shooting of Steve Scalise at the softball game and this Bernie nutjob was trying to kill a bunch of them, Rand Paul getting his ribs broke, The violent mobs that confront the Repub congressman and I could go on. Not one democrat got hurt and CNN is crying like babies.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
@Dom McRaven and @Ludy51 We most definitely have to wait for all the evidence and I seriously doubt the politicians were in on it. But let me say one thing the left has absolutely no room to talk. They've talked about blowing up the WH, held Trumps bloody head in their hands, all these Hollywood stars talk about punching him in the face, the shooting of Steve Scalise at the softball game and this Bernie nutjob was trying to kill a bunch of them, Rand Paul getting his ribs broke, The violent mobs that confront the Repub congressman and I could go on. Not one democrat got hurt and CNN is crying like babies.
I personally don't think any of the politicians were in on it unless they admit they wanted to go on career suicide. I also don't know what the Repubs gain from this.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I personally don't think any of the politicians were in on it unless they admit they wanted to go on career suicide. I also don't know what the Repubs gain from this.

Because there’s nothing to gain here politically for either side

Not everything is a conspiracy but this has been borne out of conspiracy-mongering

This is simply the result of lots of extreme views and apparently “figurative” threats towards key figures on the left being taken literally by someone who is either wilfully hateful or ignorant or just not well

I give credence to that idea because George soros is not actually a key leadership figure on the left - hes only a major figure in right wing conspiracies about the left which suggests to me these attacks come from someone a little removed from reality

But there does need to be some accountability for why these views and rhetoric gain traction and viability but I don’t see where that accountability is going to come from at the moment

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Thoughts on the rumors of 45000+ sealed indictments and military tribunals against the deep state? Conspiracy or nah? I mean there have been some acts of desperation, the pathetic attempt to keep trumps nominee out of the SCOTUS, no civility until we win, the caravan, possible false flags(I mean really, who better to send bombs to democrats than a far rightist with a white van wallpapered with anti left propaganda).

Tell me I’m out of my mind all you want, but I truly believe many of the figures on the left have been doing some dirty shit behind the scenes, I absolutely cannot overlook the Russian and middle eastern dealings from people like the Clintons, and I just don’t think these people are innocent, there’s too much evidence there, too much history.

Disclaimer, I’m no political expert. I just stop by to bring up some shit I find and want to discuss.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Thoughts on the rumors of 45000+ sealed indictments and military tribunals against the deep state? Conspiracy or nah? I mean there have been some acts of desperation, the pathetic attempt to keep trumps nominee out of the SCOTUS, no civility until we win, the caravan, possible false flags(I mean really, who better to send bombs to democrats than a far rightist with a white van wallpapered with anti left propaganda).

Tell me I’m out of my mind all you want, but I truly believe many of the figures on the left have been doing some dirty shit behind the scenes, I absolutely cannot overlook the Russian and middle eastern dealings from people like the Clintons, and I just don’t think these people are innocent, there’s too much evidence there, too much history.

Disclaimer, I’m no political expert. I just stop by to bring up some shit I find and want to discuss.
The fuck this gotta do with the Ravens? Okay, I'm bullshittin' so you don't need to answer that lol. Let me jump in the fun with this.

As far as the sealed indictments are concerned, I haven't found anything concrete about them, but the most recent number is allegedly around 55,000+. As it pertains to the military tribunals, I think there was a reason why Sen. Lindsey Graham asked now-Justice Brett Kavanaugh about military tribunals. In this link, it kinda ties the sealed indictments, military tribunals, and Kavanaugh into one (and yes, folks, Qanon is brought up in this article).

There is no damn conspiracy with the "no civility until we win" when you have individuals like Eric Holder and Hillary Clinton basically saying fuck being civil to republicans. As for the caravan, welp, both Trump and Gen. Mad Dog Mattis have stated that the military and its equipment will deployed to the border against the incoming caravan.

As for the "bomber", here's a link to a series of tweets from a former bomb disposal officer who basically said that the whole thing was bullshit:
https://twitter.com/thomasbsauer/status/1055145782200987648
Oh, and just like I told @Ludy51 , you might wanna check this out as well: https://gab.com/NeonRevolt/posts/39709307

And then there was the shooter. First of all, prayers and condolences go out to the family, friends, and loved ones of the victims of this heinous and cowardly act of violence. Now, people want to blame Gab (a social media platform that was designed to "to defend individual liberty and free expression online") because he had an account on there posting all kinds of anti-Semitic shit. And here's the thing, I don't have an account with Gab nor do I give a shit about them. Gab has released a statement saying this. If Gab has to be taken down for allowing anti-Semitic remarks to be posted, then Twitter gotta go to since Louis Farrakhan has been on record making anti-Semitic remarks as well. In addition, Antifa has a fucking Twitter account FFS and we know the deal with them as they like to instigate shit and whatnot. But all in all, those are my 2 cents. Feel free to call me whatever. Still love all of y'all.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/ti...-fox-news-reporter-james-rosen-134204299.html

No he just spied on FOX and had phone records taken and called FOX " utterly destructive". No biggie right
There's a difference between going after a leak and using incendiary rhetoric at rallies. It's a conversation in which I tend to side with the whistleblower (even when they're from the Obama administration!) but it's a different conversation.

I'm going with conspiracy until it's proven otherwise. In my line of work I come across a lot of comments about the financial markets (one of my work's clients is the biggest financial newspaper in the southern hemisphere) and a couple of years ago I came across a comment from one of Australia's best-performing fund managers who said something that'll always stick with me. It was about picking stocks but there are a lot of moments during the political news cycles that remind me of what he said. Anyway, he was asked about the internet and whether that makes things easier for people to get more informed (and make better stock picks etc) and he made the comment that there's a huge amount of information out there but nearly all of it is of such low quality that it's absolute garbage tier. And if I'm being blunt it's really the same thing with the way people get political news in particular - a lot of these sources are the equivalent of some bloke in a parking lot telling you he has this great property investment opportunity.

I know people really don't trust the media (and I've been harping on about why the main cable channels in particular are godawful, but that it's not for the reasons people think) and I don't expect I'm changing any minds, but if I could impart one new habit on people it's to verify what you're reading. If you hear something, try to find another site that's saying the same thing (a completely unrelated site obviously) and with as much transparency on its sources as possible. I know a lot of outlets do "a source told [XYZ]" to protect their sources' jobs but it's the difference between "sources told WalterFootball" or "sources told ***" and "sources told Adam Schefter".

And for the love of all that is good, if you still touch won't any mainstream organisation, I can't recommend enough trying to see if a wire outlet like Reuters or AP has reported something on it. They're wire outlets so you see their stories pop up on other news outlets' websites (they have a huge presence around the world so they cover stories for everyone across the spectrum where it would otherwise be too expensive for other outlets to send someone). They don't embellish their stories or add editorial spin either.

As for the "dirty shit behind the scenes", a lot of those people don't help their own cause but in my experience things are a lot simpler than they appear. My partner's a civil servant (so our pillow talk tends to be about politics and geopolitics) and I'll say that it takes a certain type of person to be attracted to running for office in the same way that a lot of pro athletes tend to have similar personalities and there's a lot of toxicity. But the "deep state" is just people doing their job of making the wheels of government turn every day. Hillary wasn't running a pedophile ring in some pizza place; political staff just work long hours and pizza's a workplace staple when you're burning the midnight oil. And there was no DNC conspiracy to railroad Bernie - just a crappy outdated primary system and he didn't do well in the south. More recently it turned out that the MAGAbomber wasn't a skilled DNC operative but a deranged bloke who didn't know where to draw the line. And you look at how the caravan has a lot of women taking their kids with them and I'd ask whether it's more likely that they're on the George Soros payroll or it's the more simpler alternative that there are lots of push factors in their crappy pre-migration lives that they want to make less crappy (that was Anthony Scaramucci who made that point recently btw), especially considering it's not the first such caravan and they've happened under the watch of several presidents.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Be sceptical of everything you read or hear (even stuff you may trust from a place like Gab or Qanon or whatever - I've got my own thoughts on sources like that and I don't see myself changing anyone's mind but that two-stage source verification process is important) and try to find other sources saying the same thing. Don't sleep on the wire agencies if you want to see if something's verifiable. And there's a lot of stuff that goes on in the champagne rooms of the political "elites" (as much as I hate that word...) irrespective of where they sit on the spectrum but the truth is almost always way more boring than you think.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
also sorry to even insert myself here but i dont understand what's wrong with the caravan...
these are migrants who are attempting to gain asylum and havent even entered the US yet

these are potential refugees (who are legal migrants if accepted into the US) who are not illegal immigrants and if they were going to try and enter illegally are doing an awful job of it...

i would just like to point out also that Asylum-seekers are not illegal immigrants and any potential refugee has the legal right to make a claim at any border of the US (in this particular case) - any refusal to listen to asylum claims goes against the UN Refugee convention and the US refugee act and would be illegal

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Pretty much when you start with the deep state you gotta start with the DOJ and the FBI working hand in hand with the democrats. All the top FBI have been fired and the text messages pretty much tells it all. You can also look at the coordination between the 2. For example Loretta Lynch telling Comey to call the Hillary investigation a "matter". Of course all Fusion GPS bullshit and the infamous dossier (let alone all the unmaskings done by Susan Rice). Right now you can look at both these departments and see they're independent once again.

Yes a lot of things should be understood about where the Clinton Foundation got all their money. A bulk of it was from Russians and the Middle East. Talk about foreign influence. Now they've had to do massive layoffs lol.

The Deep State is real and we never would have found out nothing if Trump didn't win!!

Status
Not open for further replies.