• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I think my problem and it goes back to a lot of what I argue on here is that sure, there are other countries worse than us. Doesn't change the fact that this country isn't beyond criticism. And if you want to say it is, really gotta question your understanding of the history of this country and what it was founded on.

Maybe he's also wondering why they migrated here. You know since its such a terrible racist country and all. Its really not fair they can say anything they damn want but oh lord don't say anything about them.

#Dems Can Say and Do Anything.

Last time I checked, none of us have power over where we are born. These people work for us and if they want to say to American citizens to go somewhere else if they don't like how things are run, then it says a lot about how far this country has fallen.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
but that statement was racist: he basically referred to women of colour as foreign and non-american despite all of them being american

literally nothing controversial about calling his statements racist...

I agree it was racist but have a problem with what I saw on Twitter about how your racist if you support Trump. That's like saying all Steelers fans are bad because of a few of them. Grouping an entire fan base with the few idiots is dumb. If you support the Democrats, would it be fair to say that if you support Democrats, you support Illegal immigrants breaking the laws of our country? No, not at all.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think my problem and it goes back to a lot of what I argue on here is that sure, there are other countries worse than us. Doesn't change the fact that this country isn't beyond criticism. And if you want to say it is, really gotta question your understanding of the history of this country and what it was founded on.

Last time I checked, none of us have power over where we are born. These people work for us and if they want to say to American citizens to go somewhere else if they don't like how things are run, then it says a lot about how far this country has fallen.

He also told them to come back and tell him how to fix the problems. All they do is keep telling everybody how terrible our country is. Do you have a problem with Trump or his supporters being called Nazis or white supremacists? And its been nonstop. All these women do is use racism as a weapon and one even called Trump an mf'r. This is not ok anymore. The only time these women get in trouble are when they call out other Dems. They are just flat out left wing radicals. Again #Dems Can Say and Do Anything.

Also yes this country deserves some criticism like any country and you may certainly question my knowledge of history cuz of 1st amendment rights but I'm gonna tell you here and now I know my history and I know the Constitution very well.

Last edited:

flynismo

Practice Squad
but that statement was racist: he basically referred to women of colour as foreign and non-american despite all of them being american

literally nothing controversial about calling his statements racist...

racism
noun
rac·ism | \ ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi- \
Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2a: a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
b: a political or social system founded on racism
3: racial prejudice or discrimination

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Please do tell how it was "racist" of Trump to tell those bitches to go home and fix their own country.

Tank

Hall of Famer
racism
noun
Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2a: a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

Please do tell how it was "racist" of Trump to tell those bitches to go home and fix their own country.
Thank You. Not an endorsement of anything or anyone, but the words "racist" and "racism" get tossed around these days like the word "amazing". Many things that may not be PC to a certain group are immediately qualified as being "racist", just as most things recently described as "amazing" hardly produce amazement.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe he's also wondering why they migrated here. You know since its such a terrible racist country and all. Its really not fair they can say anything they damn want but oh lord don't say anything about them.

#Dems Can Say and Do Anything.

AOC born in the bronx
Rashida Tlaib born in Detroit
Ayanna Pressley born in Cincinnatti...

from which country did they migrate

only Omar migrated to the US as a 10 year old child...

what countries is Trump asking them to fix exactly?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
racism
noun
Definition of racism

because they are american born and raised... America is their own country and Trump telling them to go their own country assumes they are non-american because of the colour of their skin and/or their religious beliefs and because they look different to his vision of america - how is that in any way not racist?

also that dictionary definition is incredibly limited and is insufficiently defining racism as a word and concept just fyi

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree it was racist but have a problem with what I saw on Twitter about how your racist if you support Trump. That's like saying all Steelers fans are bad because of a few of them. Grouping an entire fan base with the few idiots is dumb. If you support the Democrats, would it be fair to say that if you support Democrats, you support Illegal immigrants breaking the laws of our country? No, not at all.

i think its unfair to generalise about everyone like you say...

but i think you have to look carefully at what trump is saying and if you are a supporter of someone like trump and you dont clearly separate yourself from him when he says things like this it comes across as implicit support of his statements which are and have been often racist and racially insensitive (among other problematic things) - how can you support trump unequivocally without exception when he says things like this and not expect to also have it suggested that you also might have at least some racial prejudice or tolerance for racism (which is also kind of racist)

Reactions: cdp

flynismo

Practice Squad
because they are american born and raised... America is their own country and Trump telling them to go their own country assumes they are non-american because of the colour of their skin and/or their religious beliefs and because they look different to his vision of america - how is that in any way not racist?

also that dictionary definition is incredibly limited and is insufficiently defining racism as a word and concept just fyi

Just FYI, you don't get to make up the definition of words if the current definition doesn't fit a particular narrative.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just FYI, you don't get to make up the definition of words if the current definition doesn't fit a particular narrative.

just fyi, dictionaries are for 101 descriptions of words, they do not encompass the full meaning of concepts and are not the open and shut of what words mean

for example... the definition of ketchup says that it's spicy...

the dictionary definition is problematic and certainly not the be all and end all

flynismo

Practice Squad
just fyi, dictionaries are for 101 descriptions of words, they do not encompass the full meaning of concepts and are not the open and shut of what words mean

for example... the definition of ketchup says that it's spicy...

the dictionary definition is problematic and certainly not the be all and end all

ketchup
noun
ketch·up | \ ˈke-chəp , ˈka- \
variants: or less commonly catchup \ ˈke-chəp , ˈka- \ or catsup \ ˈke-chəp , ˈka-; ˈkat-səp \
Definition of ketchup

: a seasoned pureed condiment usually made from tomatoes

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ketchup

Words mean very specific things. A credible dictionary, not the one that you are using that says ketchup "is spicy" or "Trump is racist because reasons", defines them for us so there is no confusion. If you think "racism" means anything more than the definition given previously, that's on you; you're adding things that do not belong.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ketchup
noun
ketch·up | \ ˈke-chəp , ˈka- \
variants: or less commonly catchup \ ˈke-chəp , ˈka- \ or catsup \ ˈke-chəp , ˈka-; ˈkat-səp \
Definition of ketchup

: a seasoned pureed condiment usually made from tomatoes

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ketchup

Words mean very specific things. A credible dictionary, not the one that you are using that says ketchup "is spicy" or "Trump is racist because reasons", defines them for us so there is no confusion. If you think "racism" means anything more than the definition given previously, that's on you; you're adding things that do not belong.

i mean if this is the hill you want to die on that Trump's comments werent racist because they somehow dont fit the merriam-webster dictionary definition of racism explicitly then you do that but that's wilfully naive to think that

how is it not racist to pick 4 women of colour and intimate that they are not from america despite all 4 of them being citizens and (as if it makes any difference to their legitimacy as americans - only 1 of them is a naturalised citizen albeit since the age of 10)

him suggesting they are unamerican because of the way their names sound and the way they look (their skin colour) does fit your definition of racism anyway - he saw their race and assumed they couldnt possibly be american because of it - that's prejudicial behaviour based on race which is 1 of the dictionary's limited definitions of racism

but heyho - you can quibble with semantics all you want i know im not changing your mind

flynismo

Practice Squad
i mean if this is the hill you want to die on that Trump's comments werent racist because they somehow dont fit the merriam-webster dictionary definition of racism explicitly then you do that but that's wilfully naive to think that

how is it not racist to pick 4 women of colour and intimate that they are not from america despite all 4 of them being citizens and (as if it makes any difference to their legitimacy as americans - only 1 of them is a naturalised citizen albeit since the age of 10)

him suggesting they are unamerican because of the way their names sound and the way they look (their skin colour) does fit your definition of racism anyway - he saw their race and assumed they couldnt possibly be american because of it - that's prejudicial behaviour based on race which is 1 of the dictionary's limited definitions of racism

but heyho - you can quibble with semantics all you want i know im not changing your mind

You're right about one thing, you aren't going to have me pretend that what Trump said was "racist" just because you want to redefine what the word means.

But you may be onto something after all. I'm two days behind on a project at work. If I miss the deadline, I can just tell my boss about how his definition of "deadline" is wrong, I think it should also mean a suggested date and time, rather than a set date and time. Problem solved!

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well you can see the major fight we're having with immigration and a lot of this is being spearheaded by businesses that want that cheap labor. There's a whole shitload of money in these operations. I'm not getting only on Dems about this cuz the Koch Bros ( big republican contributers but also anti-trumpers ) are perhaps the biggest. Really almost makes me believe there is an illuminati over here causing chaos. Sadly its all just plain damn greed.

Here's an article that shows its not only blue collar lower level jobs with visas but white collar jobs now too seeing the impact. Its a Breitbart article but I couldn't find anything from the "real news " on this subject. I don't know much about white collar jobs but there sure is a lot of Indian and Asian influence in healthcare.
https://www.breitbart.com/immigrati...ad-hit-by-flood-million-foreign-visa-workers/

but it's not immigration, it's how greedy these companies really are. Remember, just because you can do something does not mean you should.

flynismo

Practice Squad
I guess Merriam Webster can go [profanity deleted] himself

* Except when it fits liberal propaganda. Then you're a delusional racist and dictionaryphobe if you don't like what words actually mean.

Since he doesn't like Merriam, how about the Oxford English dictionary, since that is the standard bearer of the english speaking world.

racism
NOUN
mass noun
  • 1Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

‘a programme to combat racism’
    1. 1.1The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/racism

Oh gosh, that doesn't fit the narrative either...guess we'll just have to keep looking til we find a dictionary that kaepernick doesn't find offensive

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can I tell you guys something? As someone who dislikes politics because it turns into "my team is right because it's my team"

I really hate Trump. Whether you support him or not, it is clear that he makes comments you just shouldn't make. Why would you tell anyone who's born IN America to go back to whatever country their parents are from? Why? What is the purpose in saying that? I know exactly who takes comments like that and RUN with it. Everyone on this board is smart enough to know what I am talking about.

It just so happens that these women aren't white and it goes back to what I've told some of you about my experiences in America. In a marriage, when your wife brings up issues with you, do you immediately point at another couples marriage to make the stupid shit your doing look better? Hell no and you wouldn't appreciate it if it was done to you.

Words mean things, we should not ignore them. Ever. Trump is a dickhead, and racists gravitate to him. Even when confronted and told that Trump doesn't speak FOR them they still feel he does.

This country has a problem. Its extremism. Extremism is always met with extremism.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You're right about one thing, you aren't going to have me pretend that what Trump said was "racist" just because you want to redefine what the word means.

But you may be onto something after all. I'm two days behind on a project at work. If I miss the deadline, I can just tell my boss about how his definition of "deadline" is wrong, I think it should also mean a suggested date and time, rather than a set date and time. Problem solved!

i mean i also described how trumps comments fit your definition of racism too but go ahead and ignore that clearly...

and its not just these things as well, he's been doing and saying racist things his whole life including during his presidency - there's a reason racists flock to him - because he speaks for them

when asked today if he was worried about being called racist, trump said he doesnt care because a lot of people agree with him...

that's a worrying indictment of him

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean i also described how trumps comments fit your definition of racism too but go ahead and ignore that clearly...

and its not just these things as well, he's been doing and saying racist things his whole life including during his presidency - there's a reason racists flock to him - because he speaks for them

when asked today if he was worried about being called racist, trump said he doesnt care because a lot of people agree with him...

If he made this statement, this is the very shit that I have an issue with

flynismo

Practice Squad

How do they fit the definition? Because you made the assumption that since none of them were lilly white, it must be racist? It couldn't possibly be because he doesn't know these women personally and saw the names? It couldn't be because the [Muslim (edited by a moderator)] was not born in this country and he made assumptions? Nah...couldn't be. Lets just play the racist card per usual. Trump must clearly have meant that white people are superior to these people and they must leave.
I ignored your points because there are other perfectly rational reasons, and you are ignoring the context of his comment in the first place, which was to defend Pelosi of all people from criticism from AOC that Pelosi was being a racist.

He doesn't speak for racists, nor has he done racist things. And why should he care whether people call him a racist when the media has already been trying to portray him as one since 2016? He already knows that there is a brainwashed cult of people who will try to paint him as racist no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.