• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I just wrote about the social media and you're right it can be a bad influence. Just wish social media was more like this forum where we actually try to discuss ideas. See I didn't get into forums until I guess around 7 yrs ago and never had a chance to do stuff like this where I can have good sensible discussions with people with different backgrounds and ideas than myself. I cherish talking to guys like yourself and everybody else on this board but man sometimes I really wonder if social media is actual progress or if its destructive. Just some of the things I read sometimes.

Yeah it is always nice to get different opinions from everyone, even when we don't agree. This board and thread are for all of their warts one of the better places to talk about this stuff. And thankfully when things do get a bit out of hand we have people that can step in and restore order @Lost_In_The_Sauce

In regards to social media I think it is a couple things. I think there have always been people more on the extremes when it comes to politics but social media has given those people more of a voice. We have a lot of people with views all over the place suddenly thrust much closer together. A lot of people may not have been exposed to people on the other side as much. Long term I think this is good but short term it is a big adjustment.

Secondly people don't have as many consequences for being jerks on social media. If people talked face to face like they do on certain sites, they would end up getting punched in the face. Getting down votes and such doesn't really have the same effect and some people like the attention. One consequence is that some of this stuff can pop up in interviews and I always try to make sure my posts are defend-able if someone ever asks me about them. A lot of people don't though and while I wouldn't overreact to some highschooler, there are some lines that can be crossed.

I think the big thing though is that people a lot of people on the extremes are now much closer together. It was one thing when that one family member went off about politics but now they have like minded people to spout off with. You get a lot of these people in echo chambers and being in a place like that is not going to bring anyone closer to the center.

You can really learn a lot about the media through sports I think and one example of a bit of an echo chamber was parts of the old board. Every year about this time the Ravens were going to be a playoff team and random practice squad players were being hyped up to oblivion. Then when the Ravens inevitably lose a game(sometimes just winning an ugly one), everyone starts screaming for Harbaugh's and everyone's head. I think @Secret_Agent_Man said it best that whenever the Ravens won, everyone was getting hyped for the Super Bowl and whenever they lose, people wanted them to fire/cut everyone. And don't get me started on how crazy Patriots fans can get.

I do think the main driver for a lot of this stuff is the media though. For me it all goes back to the decline of the news paper. The media these days has become increasingly desperate for money since a lot of places are really struggling. The internet has brought a lot of people up but it has also hurt a lot of places that haven't really been able to keep up. They have found that fear and controversy generally get ratings like nothing else. It is why ESPN years ago always ran Tim Tebow and Manziel stories, those players were controversial and those articles got the most clicks and ad revenue. Good journalism still is there but it is hard to find and it is a lot easier to just post stories on something easy that will get clicks. You see the same type of stuff on certain youtube channels and other sites. For all I talk about the media, I don't think they are part of some huge conspiracy, I think most of them are just trying to make a living in a fairly chaotic field.

But I do think that this all has an affect on people. I think one other thing the media has realized is that when people are scared, they will tune in religiously. Everyone was glued to their TVs during 9/11, same thing when we didn't know what hurricane Irma was going to do. Lots of other examples for sure. But I think a lot of places realized that if they scare people, then they can get people to watch continuously. Then you get a lot of places where they focus on the extremes out there and they paint the other side as these people out to get you. And with all the people in echo chambers on both sides and thus people being driven further left or right, you have a lot of material to choose from to scare your audience. This has been around for a while but has been amplified by social media for sure.

And that just about gets us to where we are now. This is a long post, even for my standards. I think just being so wound up by everything going on right now in the world, it feels nice to just be able to spin down. I think we all kinda need that these days and this thread is a good place to do it. When you get two kids fighting, usually putting them in time out helps to calm things down. I think we could really use one in this country but we really don't get the opportunity to do so. I think when all the shouting is done, most of us just want to make this country a better place and I think one good thing we can all agree on is that a lot of people are showing that we care about this country and want it to succeed. I think at the end of the day we need to just come together again.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Another shooting at a Walmart, this time in Baton Rouge. Two armed customers got into an argument, both decided to pull their guns out on each other and fired several rounds. An innocent bystander who was buying a lunchbox for his son was shot twice. He was taken to a medical facility and was in stable condition.

Last edited:

flynismo

Practice Squad
Another shooting at a Walmart, this time in Baton Rouge. Two armed customers got into an argument and an innocent bystander was shot. I guess they will be calling to ban all guns and take them away citing this incident now. Knowing the state of this country, it was probably a stupid political argument that caused all of this because nobody knows how to talk things out and listen to the other side without being angry.
They can call for a gun ban all they want, it will never, ever happen.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
They can call for a gun ban all they want, it will never, ever happen.

Oh I know and I hope it never does, democrats want that though. I updated my original post with more details, sad that a young father who was just a bystander got hurt because two people couldn't control their temper enough in an argument. If you can't control your temper, you probably shouldn't be able to own a gun. We need to find a way to ensure guns don't end up in the hands of the people who have been hurting or killing innocent people for no reason.

To see the back and fourth going on where neither side wants to work together to end this is a disgrace.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
When Joe Biden & Elizabeth Warren are the best the Democratic party can trout out against Trump in 2020....

20-dumpster-fire.w700.h700.gif

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Damn, we are back to seeing some Republicans blame video games again?

Trump condemned racism, bigotry AND white supremacy only for Tucker Carlson to say that White Supremacy is a hoax? Then goes back to finger pointing.

Is there anything that can happen (politically speaking) that we can just come together and talk? Like adults?

Here is a challenge for everyone on this board, for now on let's focus on finding solutions to problems. No more finger pointing

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
How can you not? Its ridiculous but concerning at the same time.

ok, *breathes*

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

at the same time, this isn't funny. at all.

flynismo

Practice Squad
Only person I could ever vote for in that dumpster fire known as the democratic party is Tulsi. She is one of the few on either side with integrity, and I wouldn't have to worry about questioning her motives...I think she would do whatever she felt is best for the country, not whatever the latest ridiculous ideas the Dems are pushing for. Since I already know I agree with 90% of Trump's platform, and think he is doing a kick ass job, I can't see anyone other than him getting my vote next year. But I'm hoping that this is just the beginning for Tulsi, obviously this is far too soon but right now she is my personal front runner for 2024

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only person I could ever vote for in that dumpster fire known as the democratic party is Tulsi. She is one of the few on either side with integrity, and I wouldn't have to worry about questioning her motives...I think she would do whatever she felt is best for the country, not whatever the latest ridiculous ideas the Dems are pushing for. Since I already know I agree with 90% of Trump's platform, and think he is doing a kick ass job, I can't see anyone other than him getting my vote next year. But I'm hoping that this is just the beginning for Tulsi, obviously this is far too soon but right now she is my personal front runner for 2024

Damn, Tulsi over Yang?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
She lost me BIGLY when she said that Trump is supporting al-Qaeda.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I have come to hate the term hate crime. I had a teenager from the housing projects on a bike overheard by witnesses tell a group of other teenagers, "I am going to kill me a faggy" (that was his direct quote! I hate that word as much as I hate the n word and I only typed it here so you understand my anger). This teenager peddles his bike from the group of teenagers and approaches a homosexual man and pulls a handgun and shoots this man in his neck and murders him on the spot. If this is not a hate crime...I swear! I was ordered to change my report and take out "hate crime." You know it was rewritten by detectives (who were pressured) because they could not get me to change it. If you are going to pick and choose what murders you want to list as a hate crime and whether it fits your agenda or whether you don't want the bad press, then we need to just forget about classifying incidents as "hate crime." Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I will take this incident to my grave, it still upsets me so much.

I am probably an idiot for posting this as it will probably get me in trouble.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I have come to hate the term hate crime. I had a teenager from the housing projects on a bike overheard by witnesses tell a group of other teenagers, "I am going to kill me a faggy" (that was his direct quote! I hate that word as much as I hate the n word and I only typed it here so you understand my anger). This teenager peddles his bike from the group of teenagers and approaches a homosexual man and pulls a handgun and shoots this man in his neck and murders him on the spot. If this is not a hate crime...I swear! I was ordered to change my report and take out "hate crime." You know it was rewritten by detectives (who were pressured) because they could not get me to change it. If you are going to pick and choose what murders you want to list as a hate crime and whether it fits your agenda or whether you don't want the bad press, then we need to just forget about classifying incidents as "hate crime." Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I will take this incident to my grave, it still upsets me so much.

Folks like Jussie Smollett make it harder for victims to report hate crimes.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Take it down if you feel like it can get you in trouble.

That is very telling and I am sorry that integrity means nothing in that situation. smh

Status
Not open for further replies.