• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2

Calling @flynismo racist after everything I know he’s been through is utterly ridiculous and downright insulting. Fly has witnessed and experienced some serious and threatening racism that seldom happens in the United States, and that’s a fact. He had to flee South Africa and came to the United States legally in order to do that. He’s a naturalized American citizen. He knew people, some family, who were brutalized, raped, murdered, etc because of an actually racist government and society. Most of his family? Muslim, and he had no intentions of insulting them whatsoever. I know for a fact he’s a good man, and he is livid by this accusation based off of everything he’s been through. The things that he has been through are beyond horrific, and out of respect for him, I will not share since it is not my story to tell.

You are allowed to disagree with him, and maybe that word was a bit much, but going out of his way to call him essentially a racist(which if it wasn’t your intention, it sure as hell was implied) is downright more insulting than him typing out a slur that I wasn’t even aware existed until 12 hours ago(btw, he contacted me personally, he didn’t know that it as offense either. He always assumed it was just a shortening, kind of like how my actual name is David, but most call me Dave). Should the slur have been deleted? Yes and you should have let him know in private, but to make an example of him and basically co imply him to be racist, which is what others could have perceived it as, I’ve showed it to multiple outsiders and they thought you were intentionally making an example of him out of perceived spite and not for moral reasons is wrong. It is borderline libelous and hilariously ignorant. If you have a problem with him personally, PM him and talk to him in private. There was no need to do that, especially given the actual circumstances. You have insulted him far more than you could he could have offended anyone with that term.

Another incident like this and I think we all can agree @RavensMania @Truth @purplepittabread88 , this thread is done. People are allowed to disagree with each other without people being on their high horse and blindly accuse them despite not having interacted with them personally or even getting to know their real name or life story. No one in this forum is above anyone on a personal level.

flynismo

Practice Squad
I would respectfully ask that this thread remain open. We're 190 pages deep, and has gone fine for the most part. Regrettably, I used a word that I should not have; and I apologize for any offense that it may have caused. I wasn't aware that it is perceived as a slur against muslims, but ignorance isn't an excuse. I deserved to get the warning. And it won't ever happen again.

But I request we keep this thread open, because one of the serious problems our society is facing is that nobody ever seems to want to talk anymore. Everybody seems to rather just dig in and only converse with those of similar beliefs; ie the infamous echo chamber. Debate and conversation is healthy. Even if the conversation seems to come to a stalemate, we are all still presenting our viewpoints for other people to see and hear. So while we may not change each other's minds (or maybe we will), we are certainly impacting people who are seeking information and feedback who happen across our forum, and I feel that can only be a good thing.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I would respectfully ask that this thread remain open. We're 190 pages deep, and has gone fine for the most part. Regrettably, I used a word that I should not have; and I apologize for any offense that it may have caused. I wasn't aware that it is perceived as a slur against muslims, but ignorance isn't an excuse. I deserved to get the warning. And it won't ever happen again.

But I request we keep this thread open, because one of the serious problems our society is facing is that nobody ever seems to want to talk anymore. Everybody seems to rather just dig in and only converse with those of similar beliefs; ie the infamous echo chamber. Debate and conversation is healthy. Even if the conversation seems to come to a stalemate, we are all still presenting our viewpoints for other people to see and hear. So while we may not change each other's minds (or maybe we will), we are certainly impacting people who are seeking information and feedback who happen across our forum, and I feel that can only be a good thing.
The problem is, especially in the last 10 or 15 years, many people purposely don’t separate their opinions of others from their politics. If someone holds a view they disagree with they are immediately put in a box and labeled. It’s a terribly myopic tool who’s use has become all too common in recent social and political discourse, just as Gtalk mentioned, “extremism”. Most of those people have no intention of wanting to solve problems, they only want to “attack” to stir the pot. It’s a big reason why I now avoid political and societal discussion with those I don’t know well as there’s rarely any meaningful debate, only disrespectful anger.

Last edited:

flynismo

Practice Squad
The problem is, especially in the last 10 or 15 years, many people purposely don’t separate their opinions of others from their politics. If someone holds a view they disagree with they are immediately put in a box and labeled. It’s a terribly myopic tool who’s use has become all too common in recent social and political discourse, just as Gtalk mentioned, “extremism”. Most of those people have no intention of wanting to solve problems, they only want to “attack” to stir the pot. It’s a big reason why I now avoid political and societal discussion with those I don’t know well as there’s rarely any meaningful debate, only disrespectful anger.

You're certainly not wrong, and is why I guess we were all a bit skeptical of this thread at the beginning, but for the most part, that hasn't happened here in our thread. From what I can tell, there has been some spirited debate, plenty of disagreement, and a lot of cordial discussion, but no personal attacks until now.

I understand and respect their decision either way. But everyone seems to enjoy interacting in this thread (I'd guess this might be one of, if not the largest threads on the site, at 190 pages), and I'd hate to see it closed because of something I said setting things off. I'd rather take a ban than everyone else be punished over what I and someone else said to each other.

Tank

Hall of Famer
You're certainly not wrong, and is why I guess we were all a bit skeptical of this thread at the beginning, but for the most part, that hasn't happened here in our thread. From what I can tell, there has been some spirited debate, plenty of disagreement, and a lot of cordial discussion, but no personal attacks until now.

I understand and respect their decision either way. But everyone seems to enjoy interacting in this thread (I'd guess this might be one of, if not the largest threads on the site, at 190 pages), and I'd hate to see it closed because of something I said setting things off. I'd rather take a ban than everyone else be punished over what I and someone else said to each other.
Ban? no, hell no. If that happens I'll be right behind you.
Peace out brother!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2

Calling @flynismo racist after everything I know he’s been through is utterly ridiculous and downright insulting. Fly has witnessed and experienced some serious and threatening racism that seldom happens in the United States, and that’s a fact. He had to flee South Africa and came to the United States legally in order to do that. He’s a naturalized American citizen. He knew people, some family, who were brutalized, raped, murdered, etc because of an actually racist government and society. Most of his family? Muslim, and he had no intentions of insulting them whatsoever. I know for a fact he’s a good man, and he is livid by this accusation based off of everything he’s been through. The things that he has been through are beyond horrific, and out of respect for him, I will not share since it is not my story to tell.

You are allowed to disagree with him, and maybe that word was a bit much, but going out of his way to call him essentially a racist(which if it wasn’t your intention, it sure as hell was implied) is downright more insulting than him typing out a slur that I wasn’t even aware existed until 12 hours ago(btw, he contacted me personally, he didn’t know that it as offense either. He always assumed it was just a shortening, kind of like how my actual name is David, but most call me Dave). Should the slur have been deleted? Yes and you should have let him know in private, but to make an example of him and basically co imply him to be racist, which is what others could have perceived it as, I’ve showed it to multiple outsiders and they thought you were intentionally making an example of him out of perceived spite and not for moral reasons is wrong. It is borderline libelous and hilariously ignorant. If you have a problem with him personally, PM him and talk to him in private. There was no need to do that, especially given the actual circumstances. You have insulted him far more than you could he could have offended anyone with that term.

Another incident like this and I think we all can agree @RavensMania @Truth @purplepittabread88 , this thread is done. People are allowed to disagree with each other without people being on their high horse and blindly accuse them despite not having interacted with them personally or even getting to know their real name or life story. No one in this forum is above anyone on a personal level.

I very specifically warned him for the use of the word and nothing else - the use of the word is unacceptable and that was what the warning was about

I didn’t call him racist, the word was racist - you’re welcome to talk further about this with myself and him outside of the public thread but racist language of any kind cannot be tolerated surely...

flynismo

Practice Squad
I very specifically warned him for the use of the word and nothing else - the use of the word is unacceptable and that was what the warning was about

I didn’t call him racist, the word was racist - you’re welcome to talk further about this with myself and him outside of the public thread but racist language of any kind cannot be tolerated surely...

You don't even have the decency to just admit you screwed up?

"whatever your thoughts on trump's comments being racist im afraid i cant abide people on this board board being racist

you cannot and this is an actual warning as a moderator to you, use racial slurs to describe anyone"

And now you want to talk about this in private but had no problem accusing me of being a racist in front of everyone? I really thought you would be a stand up guy. I'm disappointed to see you take the coward's way out.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You don't even have the decency to just admit you screwed up?

"whatever your thoughts on trump's comments being racist im afraid i cant abide people on this board board being racist

you cannot and this is an actual warning as a moderator to you, use racial slurs to describe anyone"

And now you want to talk about this in private but had no problem accusing me of being a racist in front of everyone? I really thought you would be a stand up guy. I'm disappointed to see you take the coward's way out.

yes i very specifically said being racist not being A racist - you used a racial slur, which i moderated and warned you for using - i never called you a racist im sorry if there was confusion but i never referred to you as racist

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

and this is an entirely fair response - im sorry for any misunderstanding but ive not referred to you as a racist just that the word is racist - i can understand where the confusion in my wording lies and i could have been clearer - but i was very specifically referring to the word as being racist not that you were A racist

flynismo

Practice Squad
there'll be no banning - as far as im concerned the matter was resolved with a warning and especially now that i know you seemingly didnt know the word was a racial slur

It's just a shame that you could not be a man as well and admit that whether it was your intention to do so or not, you called me racist. In front of everyone.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
He technically said being racist which isn't technically the same. I can say someone is being a bitch but that doesn't mean I'm calling them a bitch... and there is a difference if were getting into semantics. I'll see my way out.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
He technically said being racist which isn't technically the same. I can say someone is being a [profanity deleted] but that doesn't mean I'm calling them a [profanity deleted]... and there is a difference if were getting into semantics. I'll see my way out.
tenor.gif

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Kamala Harris says Donald Trump needs to go back where he came from.... wait hold up. Just like Trump telling Americans to go back to America, your going to tell Trump who is an American to go back to America? DOUBLE STANDARD ALERT!

Kamala, Trump just played you like a fiddle. Trump may talk like the stupid idiot he is but he knows what's he doing. He is exposing the hypocrites and the double standard of the Left one by one.

Last edited:

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree it was racist but have a problem with what I saw on Twitter about how your racist if you support Trump. That's like saying all Steelers fans are bad because of a few of them. Grouping an entire fan base with the few idiots is dumb. If you support the Democrats, would it be fair to say that if you support Democrats, you support Illegal immigrants breaking the laws of our country? No, not at all.
So all Steeler fans aren't bad? Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.