• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad..... and the

Reading the comments on Yahoo, looks like Chargers fans are saying the refs gave us the game. I don't care because we still got the win and we certainly had our share of questionable calls against us this season.
There was 1 questionable call and that was the OPI on Allen. I think there was another possible hold on the secondary that the announcers called out but that came after a 3rd and 15 that Judon got strangled right in front of Rivers that they let go.

Everything else I saw was legit. Just because you get costly penalties doesn’t mean the refs are screwing you. It could mean that the defense is beating the shit out of you snd you can’t get a clean block and hold in desperation. That’s what was happening.

Only got to watch about 1 quarter total of the game during a layover. Shitty plane wifi. Pretty pissed. Hyped we won tho. Saw the Tavon TD and went insane.

What did peanut do that he’s getting praised so much? Why’s dixon in the doghouse?
Peanut had multiple sacks and forced the game sealing fumble

Not sure why you perceive that Dixon was in the doghouse. Even after he fumbled he was in the next series. The second half the pure power run game wasn’t working so I really feel that he got more touches in the 2nd half than Edwards. If not more then still pretty even split.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There was 1 questionable call and that was the OPI on Allen. I think there was another possible hold on the secondary that the announcers called out but that came after a 3rd and 15 that Judon got strangled right in front of Rivers that they let go.

Everything else I saw was legit. Just because you get costly penalties doesn’t mean the refs are screwing you. It could mean that the defense is beating the shit out of you snd you can’t get a clean block and hold in desperation. That’s what was happening.

their own OL screwed them by being trash

This shit shouldn't have been as close as it was scoreboard wise. Gotta come away with 7's at least 75% of the time on those redzone possessions.
No it shouldn’t have been that close. The fact that we left all kinds of points off the board early and still held on is to me the most amazing and impressive thing

But you are right we can’t get away with that all the time. Our red zone efficiency needs to be dramatically better than it was last night to advance. Can put that kind of pressure on the D no matter how good they are.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I find it funny that we needed to convert on 4-&-29 against the Chargers before and now we essentially beat them again in an emotional game withou the one game defining play but still, this team must hate the Ravens.
Yeah, I’m sure they are none too fond of the Ravens, probably not as much hate as there is from the Titans though. lol

I definitely have a re found dislike for Rivers. Haven’t really watched him play for a few years but whatta tool. Crying, whining, running down the field to get in the ref’s face, etc.. Also, I missed this but Lost pointed out that he tried to trip Carr on Tavon’s TD run. Guy is just a jerk on the football field. Screw Philip Rivers and his girly passing motion. lol
The one that got me was when Z got in and nailed him clean when hit it the ground he appeared to pull off his helmet and started whining to try and get a penalty for a hit to the head. I was holding my breath waiting to see if a flag would come and thank god the refs didn’t take the bait.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ok i am pretty pissed about the playcalling - rewatching the game

8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter - ravens last drive was a 2 play td drive with only passes...

for the rest of the game the ravens attempt exactly 3 passing plays - with 1 completion for 8 yards

that's ridiculous - no wonder we went 3 and out so much after that... i mean the drive with 8 minutes left was ok with some passing attempts and 1 that wont count in the box score because it was a DPI on crabtree

but after this drive that stalled we went 3 and out 3 times consecutively with only 2 passing attempts which both happened in the next drive

1st and 10 - False start
1st and 15 - 8 yard completion
2nd and 7 - 1 yard run
3rd and 6 - incomplete pass to Hurst - great coverage by Derwin James

and spoiler alert im pretty sure that's the last pass attempt lamar had in the game - and we didnt even get to the end of the 3rd quarter there and not a single pass attempt in the 4th quarter

so that's my quibble

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter - ravens last drive was a 2 play td drive with only passes...

for the rest of the game the ravens attempt exactly 3 passing plays - with 1 completion for 8 yards

that's ridiculous - no wonder we went 3 and out so much after that... i mean the drive with 8 minutes left was ok with some passing attempts and 1 that wont count in the box score because it was a DPI on crabtree

but after this drive that stalled we went 3 and out 3 times consecutively with only 2 passing attempts which both happened in the next drive

1st and 10 - False start
2nd and 7 - 1 yard run

and spoiler alert im pretty sure that's the last pass attempt lamar had in the game - and we didnt even get to the end of the 3rd quarter there and not a single pass attempt in the 4th quarter

so that's my quibble
The play calling was absolutely terrible at some points last night. I feel like we won in spite of it. If Marty called a better game we would’ve buried them earlier.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

1st and 10 - False start
2nd and 7 - 1 yard run

so that's my quibble
That’s insane

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Skura was also bad from what I saw when I tried to key in on him. These high snaps are going to hurt us one day. He is also responsible for the delay of game penalty. I don’t dislike him like others do but he is becoming a problem

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Skura was also bad from what I saw when I tried to key in on him. These high snaps are going to hurt us one day. He is also responsible for the delay of game penalty. I don’t dislike him like others do but he is becoming a problem
No question he was responsible for the delay of game penalty and agree, those high snaps are going to be the reason we lose a game someday.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@Edgar

i went back and found that play you mentioned

5:49 3rd quarter, 3rd and 8

you are absolutely right - the defender slipped early in the route and i assume crabtree was open although

jackson definitely seems to look at crabtree first and doesnt seem to like what he sees so i wonder if a safety is over the covering over the top of crab / made a beeline as soon as the defender started to slip because jackson seems to be looking crabtree's way when the defender slips...

either way i dont know why he threw to brown - i wonder if he was trying to look off the safety with that look to crabtree - but brown never beat his corner on the route

in fact it looks like snead and brown were both covered and Hurst was kinda open but had a defender closing on him as soon as he leaked out (probably would have been tackled for a minimal gain)

so broadcast footage doesnt quite solve it for me - either there's a safety there or it's a massive misread (because i have no idea how he misses it if there is no safety there because he's looking right at it when the defender goes down)

all-22 gonna be big here i think because the chargers defensively executed perfectly everywhere else on the field on that play - will be interested in your take anyway

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it throws the timing off the zone read if lamar has to double catch it or has to reach for it

in this offence with lamar we're hardly ever going to bother with under centre (or at least it will be nowhere near as frequent as shotgun) so if we dont have a centre who can consistently perform a shotgun snap then we dont have a centre at all

ill be interested to see how ken grades skura this week

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That’s insane

tbf there were a couple of scrambles that were pass plays but never really had a chance - a lot of it was being way too predictable in the 4th quarter on 1st down - getting ourselves behind the sticks and then the offence failed to execute and got in bad playcall matchups... it was a mess of over-predictability and overly conservative playcalling - it was poor execution too but the playcalling was uninspired

Tank

Hall of Famer
The one that got me was when Z got in and nailed him clean when hit it the ground he appeared to pull off his helmet and started whining to try and get a penalty for a hit to the head. I was holding my breath waiting to see if a flag would come and thank god the refs didn’t take the bait.
Zadarius took him down with his arm across his neck and that popped Rivers’ helmet up. I was also holding my breath thinking the ref might call roughing.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
tbf there were a couple of scrambles that were pass plays but never really had a chance - a lot of it was being way too predictable in the 4th quarter on 1st down - getting ourselves behind the sticks and then the offence failed to execute and got in bad playcall matchups... it was a mess of over-predictability and overly conservative playcalling - it was poor execution too but the playcalling was uninspired
We have to give the Chargers some credit as our receivers weren’t getting open, but to go over a quarter without passing the ball is ridiculous and as you said overly predictable. I hate how Marty has no problem clinging to a lead, no matter how small. He needs to go and we need to install Greg Roman as OC. Then maybe hire a passing game coordinator.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think we should run more bunch plays. A lot of times yesterday our wrs couldnt get open. idk, shit was just way too predictable yesterday. Running on 1st then 2nd and long.

Reactions: cdp

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
We have to give the Chargers some credit as our receivers weren’t getting open, but to go over a quarter without passing the ball is ridiculous and as you said overly predictable. I hate how Marty has no problem clinging to a lead, no matter how small. He needs to go and we need to install Greg Roman as OC. Then maybe hire a passing game coordinator.

Hayward, King and James is as good as it gets. Phillips and Adams are well above average also.