• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Vs Chargers Wild Card Round

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It’s time to end this streak. Rookie QBs are 0-5 when facing a veteran qb in the playoffs, since 2010.

Or, they’ll all be shit except Lamar and baker lol
Yeah - it is really hard to tell what you are going to get. I've not watched a lot of any of these guys but I watched the entire Jets Texans game and Darnold was really being a thorn in their sides. That's a good D he was facing and kept drives alive and got them very close to a W despite having a so-so set of weapons to work with.

Allen is showing flashes of being a dangerous guy - again, not working with a lot. Rosen is someone I've not really seen (why would I watch a Cards game?)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Don’t think so, this was taken off the Chargers forum

Mebane's daughter, Makenna, was born with a condition known as Trisomy-13. I know a little about this, because a cousin of mine and his wife also had a daughter with this condition. The poor infant was crying almost constantly. It takes a toll, emotionally, on the parents, just to get enough sleep, not to mention trying to live a normal life. I can fully understand Mebane's taking time off to be with his family.
It's reasons like this that should remind folks that there are things in life that are far bigger and more important than football.

So I’ve recently discovered that the pool pic/vid might of regained its powers, it’s been working lately as of the past few weeks. Perhaps Lamar Jackson shocked the system for us and the pool pic? Question is, should I keep it going?

@JoeyFlex5

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Huge news.... Chargers DID NOT activate TE Hunter Henry therefore he will not play tomorrow.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I legit didn’t know mahomes and Russ were black
I never thought of Mahomes being black and I could have sworn Russ was Egyptain. I guess Egyptain can be classified as “black” but i googled it and he’s 40% white. Mahomes is half white by his mom.

I think it’s dumb to classify them as black as neither of them publically have declared their race as black or white...

It is cool to see people from all backgrounds succeeding at what was once considered only a white guy thing. I’m happy there race isn’t being held against them and instead being judged by what they can do on the field.

Just don’t see a need to make the stat about their race

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I never thought of Mahomes being black and I could have sworn Russ was Egyptain. I guess Egyptain can be classified as “black” but i googled it and he’s 40% white. Mahomes is half white by his mom.

I think it’s dumb to classify them as black as neither of them publically have declared their race as black or white...

It is cool to see people from all backgrounds succeeding at what was once considered only a white guy thing. I’m happy there race isn’t being held against them and instead being judged by what they can do on the field.

Just don’t see a need to make the stat about their race

because it is kind of a big deal because despite most of the league being majority black the qb position has still been dominated by white people

and no one's throwing it out there like it's the only thing that matters - it's just a cool extra stat about the wildcard round and how this wildcard round is different to most others that came before it (just like the under 25 stat too)

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
because it is kind of a big deal because despite most of the league being majority black the qb position has still been dominated by white people

and no one's throwing it out there like it's the only thing that matters - it's just a cool extra stat about the wildcard round and how this wildcard round is different to most others that came before it (just like the under 25 stat too)
No I totally understand that. It shows not just the diversity now, but about 15 -20 years ago these guys watched Vick or McNair dominate the Nfl. They watched these guys and thought my skin color doesn’t mean I can’t be a Nfl qb and these guys proved it. Those two along with Randall and Doug Williams are Trail Blazers for diversity in the league. I love that

What I don’t love is that Mahomes is half and doesn’t classify himself as black but they are using that as a stat. I think it undermines those who truly struggled being told to become a wr like Lamar based of the color of their skin.

Obviously very cool to see diversity expand however

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't know population numbers (mostly because I have never cared much about race), but wouldn't there still be very high representation relative to overall population.

Of all activities in the world, sports is where race really doesn't matter. Be better and you play, be worse and you won't. I will cheer for any player so long as they aren't gold.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No I totally understand that. It shows not just the diversity now, but about 15 -20 years ago these guys watched Vick or McNair dominate the Nfl. They watched these guys and thought my skin color doesn’t mean I can’t be a Nfl qb and these guys proved it. Those two along with Randall and Doug Williams are Trail Blazers for diversity in the league. I love that

What I don’t love is that Mahomes is half and doesn’t classify himself as black but they are using that as a stat. I think it undermines those who truly struggled being told to become a wr like Lamar based of the color of their skin.

right but dont erase the existence of mixed race people also - as a minority group they have a complex history of systemic oppression also - and part of that is their being lumped in with other non-white ethnic groups...

so while it's not technically accurate to group these separate minority groups together - their complexion and historically their family's experiences will not be completely unrelated

so i don't think including them in that qb stat to make a point about diversity undermines the experiences of the other non-mixed race qbs involved...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't know population numbers (mostly because I have never cared much about race), but wouldn't there still be very high representation relative to overall population.

Of all activities in the world, sports is where race really doesn't matter. Be better and you play, be worse and you won't. I will cheer for any player so long as they aren't gold.

right and it's probably better than in a lot of other industries of course it is

im only talking about the positional disparity not the overall participation... it's odd that with a majority black pool of talent and non-white players dominating every other position on the field that (in college too) the qb (and also special teams) positions are still majority populated by white players... it's not that it's not representative of the wider population but that it's not representative of the wider american football playing population

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
right but dont erase the existence of mixed race people also - as a minority group they have a complex history of systemic oppression also - and part of that is their being lumped in with other non-white ethnic groups...

so while it's not technically accurate to group these separate minority groups together - their complexion and historically their family's experiences will not be completely unrelated

so i don't think including them in that qb stat to make a point about diversity undermines the experiences of the other non-mixed race qbs involved...
That’s a great point. Maybe it should be qbs with black or African heritage instead of straight up black. But that wouldn’t get as many clicks and talking about lol. What’s really cool is I love all 5 of these players as both people and players. I don’t know much about Watson but the rest are the future.

Now let’s get some part Hispanic qbs in the league lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That’s a great point. Maybe it should be qbs with black or African heritage instead of straight up black. But that wouldn’t get as many clicks and talking about lol. What’s really cool is I love all 5 of these players as both people and players. I don’t know much about Watson but the rest are the future.

Now let’s get some part Hispanic qbs in the league lol

yeah it's much more about being "other" than it is just about being black (although im not trying to minimise their experience of being black just that in this particular case it seems like it's more of a case of being non-white than black per se... although who knows ive never spoken to or heard russ or pat talk about their race so maybe they do identify in that way ethnically)

the fact that no asian-ethnic or hispanic or other ethnic minorities have any real representation in the league at any position is a bit of a problem tbh - especially the lack of asian-american players...