• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I kind of hope we keep Weddle around. Not as the starting safety, but a backup, player-coach to help out young guys on the team. He seems like a very good mentor. And even if his playing days are done, give him some made up coaching title and let him help help coach up our younger guys on defense. He's got a great mind for the game and understands how to do all the little things right. I don't want him as the starter, but I would hate to lose that part. Also if we lose Mosely, we'll need a new QB for the defense, the guy calling the on field adjustments. Weddle would be great to have around to help that young player learn that role.

Also, him studying under Wink for a few years on how to run the defense as a coordinator could give us a solid plan B if/when Wink gets poached/retires.
Too much $$. We need to move on and start getting some young stars on this team. Young GM, young QB, solid draft last year, just need young OC and Bob's your uncle.

BTW, how do you even know Weddle wants to coach?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I kind of hope we keep Weddle around. Not as the starting safety, but a backup, player-coach to help out young guys on the team. He seems like a very good mentor. And even if his playing days are done, give him some made up coaching title and let him help help coach up our younger guys on defense. He's got a great mind for the game and understands how to do all the little things right. I don't want him as the starter, but I would hate to lose that part. Also if we lose Mosely, we'll need a new QB for the defense, the guy calling the on field adjustments. Weddle would be great to have around to help that young player learn that role.

Also, him studying under Wink for a few years on how to run the defense as a coordinator could give us a solid plan B if/when Wink gets poached/retires.

that'd be cool if he stays a little bit like webby did when he came back on a reduced cap number after we cut him for the cap savings
if he stays on a reduced cap number then cool - otherwise let him do whatever he wants in retirement (including coming and coaching for us)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

As much as I’d like Weddle as a coach when his playing days are over, he’s a family guy and will probably go back to California to be with his family.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Greg Roman is the new offensive coordinator. Good for him, here's hoping his play calling is as good as his play designs.
I got a message that Roman is the new OC and thought Marty got fired. I was hyped af only to open twitter and see that Marty will still be around.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I got a message that Roman is the new OC and thought Marty got fired. I was hyped af only to open twitter and see that Marty will still be around.
My only problem with Marty was playcalling really. As long as he doesn't call plays anymore I'm good.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
That’s honestly fine with me. I just don’t want Marty anywhere near a playbook. Maybe we’re just keeping him around to work closely with Lamar on mechanics and such. Marty apparently still has to accept the job and might get interest elsewhere.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
So glad this move has been made. Don't think I could have put up with another year of Marty's ridiculous play calling. I guess it makes sense to keep him in some capacity though if he can help Lamar. Not sure what other team would be crazy enough to hire him as an OC.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lets GOOOOO

now draft Garrett Bradbury as he is a perfect Greg Roman center, smart, nimble and athletic, and extremely tactical as a positional blocker and an elite 2nd level blocker in space.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Greg Roman is the new offensive coordinator. Good for him, here's hoping his play calling is as good as his play designs.

Do we know what marty’s role is now
Is this a kind of reshuffle like in our front office where all the people are still there but the hierarchy’s changed?

Does Marty take over the tight ends or does he get the elusive “offensive assistant” title

I’m glad for the change in playcaller first and foremost

There’s also the fact that this might have been a move to stave off other teams attempting to take him on as their OC

JAAM

Hall of Famer
So glad this move has been made. Don't think I could have put up with another year of Marty's ridiculous play calling. I guess it makes sense to keep him in some capacity though if he can help Lamar. Not sure what other team would be crazy enough to hire him as an OC.
Well I thought the same thing about Pees and he ended up in Ten lol. There will be a stupid team out there that will take him off our hands (please?)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so 2 potential roles for Marty:

he remains in Baltimore for all intents and purposes as a sort of passing game coordinator (in the same way that roman was the running game coordinator the last couple of years)

or ive seen that the Titans might be interested in him - imagine 2 successive years dumping our lacklustre coordinators on the titans - marty can go and join pees there lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think one of the reasons Joe never really progressed was the revolving door at OC that we had the last few years here. Continuity will be good for Lamar. Learning how to change your mechanics is hard enough let alone learning another new playbook.
I think joe never progressed cause he didnt wanna but i do agree with that learning a new pb every other season could be tough.. the whole option playbook should be thrown away imo. I dnt wanna see this same offense next season, lamar really isnt gonna progress if we are still running this bs

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I think joe never progressed cause he didnt wanna but i do agree with that learning a new pb every other season could be tough.. the whole option playbook should be thrown away imo. I dnt wanna see this same offense next season, lamar really isnt gonna progress if we are still running this bs

Roman is one of the few people in the league who has experience calling plays for a dual threat QB, and he did pretty well against us in the superbowl. I think he was worth a look.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s honestly fine with me. I just don’t want Marty anywhere near a playbook. Maybe we’re just keeping him around to work closely with Lamar on mechanics and such. Marty apparently still has to accept the job and might get interest elsewhere.
Passing game coordinator unfortunately that's pretty near a playbook. Marty was our QB coach in 2015 and Joe's footwork and mechanics regressed after one season with Kubiak and Dennison.
Urban was brought in for a reason and we can't really demote him. I don't see a role for him.