• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

how much is jimmy due this upcoming season? id rather cut weddle and carr before jimmy tbh..

J. Smith: 15.8 cap hit (of which 6.3 between signing bonus and previous restructure) -- 9.5 savings
Weddle: 8.25 cap hit (1.75 signing bonus) -- 6.5 savings
Carr: 7 cap hit (1 mil 2019 + 1 mil 2020 signing bonuses; 1.5 roster bonus for 2019 comes also in play after March 17) -- 5 savings (3.5 after March 17)

Other noticeable cap figures:
Jefferson: 12.65 cap hit (8.8 guarantees between 2019-2020 seasons) -- 3.8 savings
And for those deadasses who want B.Williams out in 2019 here's his numbers:
14.1 cap hit (14.7 dead cap due to signing bonus amd restructure money spread throughout the next 3 years) -- we would even lose money by getting rid of a solid run defense pylon.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
J. Smith: 15.8 cap hit (of which 6.3 between signing bonus and previous restructure) -- 9.5 savings
Carr: 7 cap hit (1 mil 2019 + 1 mil 2020 signing bonuses; 1.5 roster bonus for 2019 comes also in play after March 17) -- 5 savings (3.5 after March 17)

Jefferson: 12.65 cap hit (8.8 guarantees between 2019-2020 seasons) -- 3.8 savings
14.1 cap hit (14.7 dead cap due to signing bonus amd restructure money spread throughout the next 3 years) -- we would even lose money by getting rid of a solid run defense pylon.
Deadasses? 1. Just @ me next time. And 2, we save 9.25 million if it's a June 1st designation cut for Brandon Williams per over the cap. Close to $10 million. Sorry, if it comes down to Jimmy and Brandon Williams I'm taking Jimmy. We don't have to rely on Jimmy to do everything anymore and he's far more useful than Williams is.

That contract was an albatross and he's not even the best NT on the roster anymore and the money can and should be used better elsewhere. Especially since we are likely to get a defensive lineman in the draft anyways. You can probably find a good run defending NT who's one dimmensional in the middle rounds. Words cannot describe how terrible that contract is. Pierce is better by a significant margin overall and Williams has a tendency to dissapear at times. We have an elite run defending NT not named Williams on the roster already and even if we designate a first round tender on Pierce he still comes at a fraction of the price and is at least a capable pass rusher. There is literally no reason to keep Brandon Williams at the price we are paying him. Especially when factoring in Williams' age.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Would it be possible to trade Brandon Williams to get rid of his cap hit or lessen it? There's some teams in the league that are struggling against the run. I can see any team that's in the division of a star RB wanting the extra firepower on their defensive line. We probably wouldn't get a lot in return, but just someone taking his contract would be great.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am not optimistic about next year. It will be a 100% rebuilding period filled with uncertainty. This is the problem with relying on older players as your elite ones.

Deadasses? 1. Just @ me next time. And 2, we save 9.25 million if it's a June 1st designation cut for Brandon Williams per over the cap. Close to $10 million. Sorry, if it comes down to Jimmy and Brandon Williams I'm taking Jimmy. We don't have to rely on Jimmy to do everything anymore and he's far more useful than Williams is.

That contract was an albatross and he's not even the best NT on the roster anymore and the money can and should be used better elsewhere. Especially since we are likely to get a defensive lineman in the draft anyways. You can probably find a good run defending NT who's one dimmensional in the middle rounds. Words cannot describe how terrible that contract is. Pierce is better by a significant margin overall and Williams has a tendency to dissapear at times. We have an elite run defending NT not named Williams on the roster already and even if we designate a first round tender on Pierce he still comes at a fraction of the price and is at least a capable pass rusher. There is literally no reason to keep Brandon Williams at the price we are paying him. Especially when factoring in Williams' age.

I don't know who exactly wrote it..I've seen it all over the internet and time ago on these boards as well.
I haven't read anywhere of such designation.. Here on spotrac there's nothing and I don't understand how you can save 'close to 10 millions' if those are the signing and restructured money .. I mean..you avoid the whole cap figure THIS year and pay the rest in prorated dead cap (2020-2021). That's not the definition of saving though.. We do need those momey next year as well
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/brandon-williams-12375/

Regardless from who's correct, I will alologize for the 'deadasses'.
That's not how I use to conduct myself in life neither around socials.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Would it be possible to trade Brandon Williams to get rid of his cap hit or lessen it? There's some teams in the league that are struggling against the run. I can see any team that's in the division of a star RB wanting the extra firepower on their defensive line. We probably wouldn't get a lot in return, but just someone taking his contract would be great.

With a trade it would act financially like a cut so the trade would have to take place after June-1st for us to get any sort of cap relief from that transaction

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Projected Cap: ~$34M
Reserve Cap: ~$10M (tenders, draft picks, and may increase if we tag Mosley at est. $15.5M)
Re-Sign: Mosley, RG3, Maxx Williams, Suggs. Suggs still has value but he’s not what he was so he will need to take a cut or let him test the market and come back to us. I think Boyle will cost too much and not sure I would due to prior suspensions. I would love to bring back Brown but I don’t think we have he money to do it.
Cut/Trade/Retire: +$17M Weddle (~$6.5M), Flacco (~$10.5M)
It’s a hard choice but we can’t afford to pay Weddle this much and he’s lost more than a step. I think he knows as well based on everything I’ve seen him do and say so far. It’s common knowledge Flacco is gone.
Sign: IOL, DE/OLB, S; OL Finney, DE/OLB P. Smith, S Clinton-Dix
I don’t like Amos as much because he’s not a true deep centerfield FS IMO and I want that. I feel Amos may be another Jefferson-type of player away from CHI. I like Preston Smith as a fit here to replace our own Za’Darius Smith, although I could see the team simply not brings in anyone at this position too. Finney would be good competition for IOL and would be cheap.
Retain: Carr, J. Smith, Crabtree, Snead
I’m not cutting Carr & Smith nor Crabtree & Snead. Keep the secondary strong because what we have with depth is special. At WR, the FA WR class is kind of doo-doo and the draft is a bit eh as well.
Draft: DAY#1DE/OLB,
DAY#2:WR|ILB|S|RB|OL, DAY#3:OL|S|CB|DL; Preferred targets include OG Chris Lindstrom, OC Lamont Gaillard, OLB/DE Jaylon Ferguson, WR Parris Campbell, ILB Devin White, RB Bennie Snell, S Nasir Adderley, WLB Chase Hansen
Obviously not an all-inclusive list but I tried to select only one guy per position.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Grim What makes you think Boyle costs too much?
I’m just thinking some team who needs a blocking TE will sign him to a larger deal and I don’t think we’re going to be looking to throw money around on him. I’m not talking about a lot of money I just think it’ll be more than we plan to give, that’s all.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I want brandon williams gone too lol..

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m just thinking some team who needs a blocking TE will sign him to a larger deal and I don’t think we’re going to be looking to throw money around on him. I’m not talking about a lot of money I just think it’ll be more than we plan to give, that’s all.

i think you overestimate how useful a blocking TE is to other teams - he's far more useful to us than other teams so I'm not sure he gets a better deal elsewhere mostly because he offers very little as a pass catcher

TheCity55

Practice Squad
I dont want to seem unfair to the guy, but im concerned about Lamar as a passer. One thing i feared was what was going to happen when teams shut down the run game and we went against a defense that wasnt sweet, and that was the turnout I kind of expected but it was worse then anticipated. Not to mention the fumbles are a big problem. Honestly, I wouldnt have been against bringing back Joe as soon as he was healthy.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Here are some details regarding B.Williams' contract. We could have saved 3m this offseason if we hadn't restructured his contract a 2nd time.
I'd release him if we used those 9.25m to get a better pass rusher, FS or OL.

2019 post june 1 designation release
2019 savings 9.25m
2020: cap hit: 9.84m
= total -.59m over 2 seasons to not play another down for the ravens.

2020 offseason release:
2019 cap hit: 14.17m
2020 savings 4.33m
=total -9.84m to play the 2019 season

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dont want to seem unfair to the guy, but im concerned about Lamar as a passer. One thing i feared was what was going to happen when teams shut down the run game and we went against a defense that wasnt sweet, and that was the turnout I kind of expected but it was worse then anticipated. Not to mention the fumbles are a big problem. Honestly, I wouldnt have been against bringing back Joe as soon as he was healthy.
I'm more concerned about him reading the defense than a strip sack fumble. The chargers mostly played cover 3 but Lamar wasn't able to make the right read even though the offensive line held up just long enough and the receivers were open. Obviously Marty didn't really help him, but still.

TheCity55

Practice Squad
I'm more concerned about him reading the defense than a strip sack fumble. The chargers mostly played cover 3 but Lamar wasn't able to make the right read even though the offensive line held up just long enough and the receivers were open. Obviously Marty didn't really help him, but still.
He missed open recievers and people point out Joe missing reads but Lamar has done the same and it could be a bigger problem with him given his over confidence in his ability to make plays with his feet.

And yeah, Marty sucks balls.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He missed open recievers and people point out Joe missing reads but Lamar has done the same and it could be a bigger problem with him given his over confidence in his ability to make plays with his feet.

And yeah, Marty sucks balls.
Lamar played his 8th career game vs the most well rounded team in the NFL behind the worst O line performance of the season and with terrible play calling.
Flacco did the same in his 11th season, after ugly 9th and 10th seasons - he is what he is.
Lamar will have time to improve.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I am not optimistic about next year. It will be a 100% rebuilding period filled with uncertainty. This is the problem with relying on older players as your elite ones.

This isn't a loaded question so dont take it anyway, but when was the last time you felt good going into a season?