• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

• HAYDEN HURSTTE, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Ravens TE Hayden Hurst (hamstring) is questionable for training camp.
    Hurst got in some minicamp reps but still isn't fully over his hamstring issues. It's a concern after foot surgery cost him four games last year. Hurst added 20-pounds of muscle this offseason and is hoping the added weight will help him stay healthy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

• HAYDEN HURSTTE, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Ravens TE Hayden Hurst (hamstring) is questionable for training camp.
    Hurst got in some minicamp reps but still isn't fully over his hamstring issues. It's a concern after foot surgery cost him four games last year. Hurst added 20-pounds of muscle this offseason and is hoping the added weight will help him stay healthy.
Well anyone with common sense could’ve told him that shocking his system with 20 lbs in one year wasn’t gonna help him with soft tissue and non contact injuries, such as foot stress fractures and hamstrings.

I straight up never thought this was a good idea

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gut feelings.
Lamar improves this year in all facets but my prediction is what you'll read on this board is support and acknowledgement of progress, but his improvement will not be enough to garner the support of the media or general fans. I will take this as a win.
Mark Ingram will be the real deal. The first back we'll have had since Rice to be a do it all kinda guy.
Wide receivers will be unspectacular but the best we've had in 3 years.
The OL will get it done, the early starters will inevitably be replaced by better younger talent, but at the end of the day we'll all want a little more out of the interior.
Tight ends are gonna ball the fuck out. Andrews will prove he should've been a first round pick, but Hurst will play with some real confidence for the first time.
Secondary will be lights out, best in the league.
Penut holds down that fort but we give up a little too much over the middle
Dline should be really stout.
At least one pass rusher not named Judon will really step up and have a big year.
I'm always impressed by Boyle as well. It's a tremendously promising tight end group.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Well anyone with common sense could’ve told him that shocking his system with 20 lbs in one year wasn’t gonna help him with soft tissue and non contact injuries, such as foot stress fractures and hamstrings.

I straight up never thought this was a good idea
Dude questionable is the new probable and the physicians who know way more about it than any of us helped him put the muscle around certain areas of his body.

But yeah. We know more than doctors

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Dude questionable is the new probable and the physicians who know way more about it than any of us helped him put the muscle around certain areas of his body.

But yeah. We know more than doctors
I need a physician to explain to me how carrying another 20 lbs on your feet protects a fracture in your feet that likely came from bearing weight

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ferguson is growing on me. He’s not as stiff as I once thought, he’s surprisingly refined, and should be able to physically dominate at the next level as well. If he tones up and works on some agility and gets a little more flexible he should be a handful

i think at worst he's going to be a nice changeup on the outside - we've got a rotation of guys with differing skillsets at the rush LB spot and if one separates from the group that's great but ultimately they complement each other well which we can hopefully take advantage of for matchup purposes

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I need a physician to explain to me how carrying another 20 lbs on your feet protects a fracture in your feet that likely came from bearing weight
Muscle is denser that fat and serves as a better protection unit for certain bones and as a result ligaments. Questionable is the new probable and as long as he’s good to go for the regular season I’m not worried, and it probably didn’t come too much from the extra 20 pounds. It’s a hammy, he might’ve overextended for all we know, or since it’s football someone could’ve accidentally tackled him during minicamp and even with extra protection getting hit by a LB with no pads still hurts.

It’s making a mountain a molehill

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Muscle is denser that fat and serves as a better protection unit for certain bones and as a result ligaments. Questionable is the new probable and as long as he’s good to go for the regular season I’m not worried, and it probably didn’t come too much from the extra 20 pounds. It’s a hammy, he might’ve overextended for all we know, or since it’s football someone could’ve accidentally tackled him during minicamp and even with extra protection getting hit by a LB with no pads still hurts.

It’s making a mountain a molehill
Why don’t you shut the fuck up and let me meltdown

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Does anyone else feel like a trade is in the works? I just feel like DeCosta is up to something and wants to make a big splash in year 1

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Does anyone else feel like a trade is in the works? I just feel like DeCosta is up to something and wants to make a big splash in year 1
The only guy I could think of available for a big trade would be Clowney. He would take ZDS's spot and do it 10 times better.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Nah. I think he wants to let the young'ins get their reps in training camp first (just my two cents). Personally, I think this is the way to go.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
TC is about to start so I made a roster evaluation based on the last season. I also tried to come up with a 53 men roster and it wasn't that difficult as I only see 57 players with real chances.
ravens roster.JPG

rossihunter2

Staff Member
TC is about to start so I made a roster evaluation based on the last season. I also tried to come up with a 53 men roster and it wasn't that difficult as I only see 57 players with real chances.
View attachment 1614

ill quibble with some of these e.g. on lasley and scott where how can you make a decision on whether or not they are good or not if they havent played a down of football yet or with Seiler or Chris Board who've hardly played at all on defence either

would be very interested in how you cut it down to 53 though

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
ill quibble with some of these e.g. on lasley and scott where how can you make a decision on whether or not they are good or not if they havent played a down of football yet or with Seiler or Chris Board who've hardly played at all on defence either

would be very interested in how you cut it down to 53 though
Lasley made the roster and he is a better route runner than Scott. I'll reevaluate after the pre-season games.
Sieler is very good athlete, but he needed a lot of reps and time to get used to the NFL level. He wasn't ready last season. Board played in the bills game and was in on 2-3 snaps and he missed his assignment in at least 1 one of those snaps which occured after the Bills game and I liked the play of other UDFA LBs better in the 2017 pre season. But this is likely to change after all these positive reports coming out of OTAs

Qbs(2): Jackson, Griffin
RB(4): Ingram, Dixon, Hill, Edwards
TE(3): Boyle, Andrews, Hurst
WR(5):Snead, Moore, Roberts, Brown, Boykin
OT(3): Stanley, Brown Jr, Senat
OG(4): Yanda, Powers, Bozeman, best UDFA
C(1): Skura
Edge(5):Judon, Williams, McPhee, Ray, Ferguson
DL(7): Pierce, Williams, Henry, Wormley, Sieler, Mack, Willis
LB(4): Onwuasor, Levine, Young, Board
CB(5): Humphrey, Smith, Carr, Averett, Marshall
Nickel(2): Young, Jones
FS(1): Thomas III
SS(3): Jefferson, Clark, Elliott
S.T.(3): Tucker, Koch, Cox

Injuries are going to certainly change this. 7 DL guys is obvioulsy too crowded, but they're all too talented to cut one of them, but then again injuries are going to factor in. I could also see DeCosta trading one or two guys (e.g. Canady). Bubble guys are:
3 WR Lasley, Wesley, Scott
1 Edge/off-ball LB Bowser

Long-shots:
Edge: Markus Jones
WR: Sean Modster
TE: Charles Scarff

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Bethel and Cyrus Jones should be considered good options on ST, since that is why they are on the roster, not for CB. I'd also have a TBD for Board since we really haven't seen enough of them, same with Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley. I'd also move Morgan Cox to very good. There are probably others but I only browsed the list and those stood out to me.

Nice job though

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lasley made the roster and he is a better route runner than Scott. I'll reevaluate after the pre-season games.
Sieler is very good athlete, but he needed a lot of reps and time to get used to the NFL level. He wasn't ready last season. Board played in the bills game and was in on 2-3 snaps and he missed his assignment in at least 1 one of those snaps which occured after the Bills game and I liked the play of other UDFA LBs better in the 2017 pre season. But this is likely to change after all these positive reports coming out of OTAs

Qbs(2): Jackson, Griffin
RB(4): Ingram, Dixon, Hill, Edwards
TE(3): Boyle, Andrews, Hurst
WR(5):Snead, Moore, Roberts, Brown, Boykin
OT(3): Stanley, Brown Jr, Senat
OG(4): Yanda, Powers, Bozeman, best UDFA
C(1): Skura
Edge(5):Judon, Williams, McPhee, Ray, Ferguson
DL(7): Pierce, Williams, Henry, Wormley, Sieler, Mack, Willis
LB(4): Onwuasor, Levine, Young, Board
CB(5): Humphrey, Smith, Carr, Averett, Marshall
Nickel(2): Young, Jones
FS(1): Thomas III
SS(3): Jefferson, Clark, Elliott
S.T.(3): Tucker, Koch, Cox

Injuries are going to certainly change this. 7 DL guys is obvioulsy too crowded, but they're all too talented to cut one of them, but then again injuries are going to factor in. I could also see DeCosta trading one or two guys (e.g. Canady). Bubble guys are:
3 WR Lasley, Wesley, Scott
1 Edge/off-ball LB Bowser

Long-shots:
Edge: Markus Jones
WR: Sean Modster
TE: Charles Scarff

i mostly agree with what you've got there...
as much as id like it, there's no way Hurst doesnt make this team even if he doesnt win the starting job because he has decent flex value as a 6th lineman and will clearly be better than a random udfa, ive also got one of jermaine eluemunor/alex lewis making it too to make it 9 OL in total

straight swap bowser for gerald willis for me especially with how light we are at ILB i can see us keeping an extra edge guy whos notorious for being great in coverage (if nothing else)

losing cyrus jones and keeping an extra receiver probably jaleel scott based off camp reports but could be lasley or wesley... with the injuries to boykin and brown i just dont see us not carrying an extra wr just in case either or both of those guys dont hit the ground running to start the year

i think you've got only 52 on your roster atm if im not mistakenly counting

pretty sure mine adds up to 53 and ive got 1 extra player

the biggest problem with my 53 at the moment is ive got no punt returner... and normally i would have said that it would be cyrus but im worried about this non-football related injury/illness/personal thing that kept him out of the offseason so far - i wonder if he starts training camp on PUP or the NFI list

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mostly agree with what you've got there...
as much as id like it, there's no way Hurst doesnt make this team even if he doesnt win the starting job because he has decent flex value as a 6th lineman and will clearly be better than a random udfa, ive also got one of jermaine eluemunor/alex lewis making it too to make it 9 OL in total

straight swap bowser for gerald willis for me especially with how light we are at ILB i can see us keeping an extra edge guy whos notorious for being great in coverage (if nothing else)

losing cyrus jones and keeping an extra receiver probably jaleel scott based off camp reports but could be lasley or wesley... with the injuries to boykin and brown i just dont see us not carrying an extra wr just in case either or both of those guys dont hit the ground running to start the year

i think you've got only 52 on your roster atm if im not mistakenly counting

pretty sure mine adds up to 53 and ive got 1 extra player

the biggest problem with my 53 at the moment is ive got no punt returner... and normally i would have said that it would be cyrus but im worried about this non-football related injury/illness/personal thing that kept him out of the offseason so far - i wonder if he starts training camp on PUP or the NFI list
Yes I only got 52, then I'm adding a Wr.
I don't want to see Hurst anymore Im done with him. Lewis is never available, didn't stand out when he played, didn't work out at the team facilities during his rehab process and lacks harbs heart of a lion (edit: and has only one year left on his contract)
You could make a case for Eluemenor instead of an udfa, but for I first want to see him in shape for I change my assessment.
Bowser is the first guy I'd add.

Last edited: