• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Tank

Hall of Famer
I see it, as you wrote it. We did overachieve and I guess I am just a little frustrated because those signings did put us in cap hell. I think the frustrating part is knowing that the weakest link last year was Center and we only had so many picks and many needs were addressed. I am okay with LG, as a serviceable one will emerge during camp. I just think that if we had a good Center to replace Skura and we could stay healthy, we would have something special.
That was a terrible run of luck with Pitta, RR, Monroe, etc.. The FO probably could have done a better job at filling the O line and WR gaps but they were dealt a shitty hand too. And yes, can't say it enough, we've needed a center since Birk retired.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think you are thinking of The Ravens 2014 defense . The Ravens starting cornerbacks in 2013 was Jimmy Smith, Ladarius Webb and Corey Graham. Webb had some up and down performances but Corey Graham was pretty good for The Ravens in 2013. Darian Stewart didnt become apart of the team until 2014 but before that it was just Matt Elam and James Ihedigbo as The Ravens starting safeties in 2013 especially after Micheal Huff was cut. James Ihedigbo basically had a breakout season for The Ravens in 2013 and basically replaced Bernard Pollard.
You’re right, it’s all coming back. I could’ve swore Stewart was 2013 though lol.

Webb was recovering from his acl that year and that was the beginning of us speculating a move to FS because he was not playing well

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Fletcher for sure. Not even sure if he ever made a ProBowl and I voted for him a few times.
He was a pro bowler four times and voted for him multiple times, with both Buffalo and the Skins. He has bashed the pro bowl system and told HOF voters not to be lazy. I totally agree with him.

Tank

Hall of Famer
He was a pro bowler four times and voted for him multiple times, with both Buffalo and the Skins. He has bashed the pro bowl system and told HOF voters not to be lazy. I totally agree with him.
Plus he has a really cool football player name. lol

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure if you guys remembered but i was the biggest fan of the daryl smith signing. I went as far as to say he was the best ILB in our division over timmons and burfict.

I've also said that in his prime he was better than CJ is and ever was and likely ever will be. Sadly, this is one instance where accolades don't give a fair indication on talent.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not sure if you guys remembered but i was the biggest fan of the daryl smith signing. I went as far as to say he was the best ILB in our division over timmons and burfict.

I've also said that in his prime he was better than CJ is and ever was and likely ever will be. Sadly, this is one instance where accolades don't give a fair indication on talent.
Yeah I knew Daryl Smith was a great player, but I was shocked at just how good he was with us.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Him and Bart Scott were IMO the two best ILBs in the mid/late 00's over more celebrated names.
As I've stated before. Put your money where your mouth is and play the Forum Mock.

Anyone who thinks they can perform better than ANY GM and Front office should be sent to St. Elizabeth's immediately

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
As I've stated before. Put your money where your mouth is and play the Forum Mock.

Anyone who thinks they can perform better than ANY GM and Front office should be sent to St. Elizabeth's immediately

what has that got to do with the point i just made?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Him and Bart Scott were IMO the two best ILBs in the mid/late 00's over more celebrated names.

Bart Scott was a system player who was great only because of the Ravens scheme. Outside of a Rex Ryan defense he was an at best average Linebacker.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bart Scott was a system player who was great only because of the Ravens scheme. Outside of a Rex Ryan defense he was an at best average Linebacker.

Hardly. He's in the same class as Daryl Smith and David Harris. That's like saying Adalius Thomas was a system player.

Bart Scott as good of a run stopper and tackler around. He seldom ever missed a tackle and seldom ever missed a gap.

purp

Practice Squad
Hardly. He's in the same class as Daryl Smith and David Harris. That's like saying Adalius Thomas was a system player.

Bart Scott as good of a run stopper and tackler around. He seldom ever missed a tackle and seldom ever missed a gap.

But Adalius Thomas was a system player... he was barely average in NE.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Gut feelings.
Lamar improves this year in all facets but my prediction is what you'll read on this board is support and acknowledgement of progress, but his improvement will not be enough to garner the support of the media or general fans. I will take this as a win.
Mark Ingram will be the real deal. The first back we'll have had since Rice to be a do it all kinda guy.
Wide receivers will be unspectacular but the best we've had in 3 years.
The OL will get it done, the early starters will inevitably be replaced by better younger talent, but at the end of the day we'll all want a little more out of the interior.
Tight ends are gonna ball the fuck out. Andrews will prove he should've been a first round pick, but Hurst will play with some real confidence for the first time.
Secondary will be lights out, best in the league.
Penut holds down that fort but we give up a little too much over the middle
Dline should be really stout.
At least one pass rusher not named Judon will really step up and have a big year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Gut feelings.
Lamar improves this year in all facets but my prediction is what you'll read on this board is support and acknowledgement of progress, but his improvement will not be enough to garner the support of the media or general fans. I will take this as a win.
Mark Ingram will be the real deal. The first back we'll have had since Rice to be a do it all kinda guy.
Wide receivers will be unspectacular but the best we've had in 3 years.
The OL will get it done, the early starters will inevitably be replaced by better younger talent, but at the end of the day we'll all want a little more out of the interior.
Tight ends are gonna ball the fuck out. Andrews will prove he should've been a first round pick, but Hurst will play with some real confidence for the first time.
Secondary will be lights out, best in the league.
Penut holds down that fort but we give up a little too much over the middle
Dline should be really stout.
At least one pass rusher not named Judon will really step up and have a big year.
My prediction... we make the playoffs because Lamar balls out but Lamar’s spiral will still be the number one topic on all comment sections and fans will demand a trade up to #1 overall for tua because a lack of tight spiral is the worst possible thing

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ferguson is growing on me. He’s not as stiff as I once thought, he’s surprisingly refined, and should be able to physically dominate at the next level as well. If he tones up and works on some agility and gets a little more flexible he should be a handful