• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Roman is a bit of a gamble. But I actually think that he wasn't the main issue in SF or Buf. "But the assing statistics". Look at the QBs. Whether Kaepernick should be on a roster or not is irrelevant: he sucks and his offense was only harder to stop because those niners teams were far more talented. They had maybe the best offensive lines in football and one of the most underappreciated backs of his era. Funnily enough the weakest part of that team was the WR corps, but Crabtree was a #1 at the time. Where the passing attack should've gone through is that Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker made possibly the most athletic TE duo in NFL history and while a lot of two TE sets were necessary I feel as if he could have capitalized better with both Walker and Davis at least in the passing attack. It was honestly a wasted opportunity and one I hope he learns from.

But Roman's tenure will depend HEAVILY on Lamar's development. So I would expect some slow periods. Lamar played well for a rookie, but he's got a LONG way to go in his development.

DeCosta doing this shows me a lot that his relationship with Harbaugh is far. That's good, we need an objective eye in the front office that can overrule Harbaugh on his BS. The first step is building up the trenches for Lamar. Build the team from the middle out..

Let's see if Eric has as good of an eye for talent as Ozzie did. He will earn my trust a lot quicker
So you just gonna discredit what kap did lol. Thats crazy

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh on Roman: "His understanding of the run game we are building - which we saw some of in the second half of the season - and how it integrates with a consistent and big-play passing game is exciting."

there's the key - the big-plays in the passing game - we had some nearly big plays that didn't hit that would have pumped up the stats but we didnt take nearly enough chances or shots in the passing game down the field

basically it sounds like Roman made a pitch/had a sort of interview the whole second half of the season to be the next OC and he was convincing
We also need to draft Lamar's boy Smith

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I believe 1 playoff appearance in 5 years. Change is inevitable.

i thought you had actual info lol

not sure what other coaching changes are happening tbh

Marty's gone, Roman's replaced him as OC, Engram's moved to TEs and Hammock might be leaving to go be HC of Wisconsin...

I don't know what other moves are left to make - Joe D and James Urban aren't going anywhere and I doubt they change any of the defensive staff so I don't know what's left

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
i thought you had actual info lol

not sure what other coaching changes are happening tbh

Marty's gone, Roman's replaced him as OC, Engram's moved to TEs and Hammock might be leaving to go be HC of Wisconsin...

I don't know what other moves are left to make - Joe D and James Urban aren't going anywhere and I doubt they change any of the defensive staff so I don't know what's left
If Hammock goes id hire whoever the RB coach was for Pittsburgh

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Lamar Jackson after hearing the news that Marty is gone.........

giphy.gif

JO_75

Hall of Famer
so 2 potential roles for Marty:

he remains in Baltimore for all intents and purposes as a sort of passing game coordinator (in the same way that roman was the running game coordinator the last couple of years)

or ive seen that the Titans might be interested in him - imagine 2 successive years dumping our lacklustre coordinators on the titans - marty can go and join pees there lol

If the Titans take him that would be funny. I'm pretty sure anyone here on this board would be glad to take Marty to the airport as well, or even drive him to Nashville. I'm just happy Marty's conservative play calling is out of Baltimore for good.

Any chance of us getting rid of Bobby Engram? I would be happy with Roman at OC and Engram gone. He hasn’t done shit for any of our WR draft picks as far as developing them. Something has to give or we’ll never get that WR playmaker who’s not over the hill

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Any chance of us getting rid of Bobby Engram? I would be happy with Roman at OC and Engram gone. He hasn’t done shit for any of our WR draft picks as far as developing them. Something has to give or we’ll never get that WR playmaker who’s not over the hill
He's been moved to TE coach

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Even though Engram hasn't been great at teaching routes, we have some of the best run blocking WRs in the league. Hoping that translates over to our TEs

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Even though Engram hasn't been great at teaching routes, we have some of the best run blocking WRs in the league. Hoping that translates over to our TEs
And it’s not like Greg Roman won’t continue to teach the blocking concepts to the TEs

And it’s not like Greg Roman won’t continue to teach the blocking concepts to the TEs
Exactly my thoughts. Romans presence and work with the TEs makes it feel like TE coach is a non job. A Harbaugh nice guy move where he didn’t fire a guy but just got him out of the way.

I mean he didn’t technically fire Marty he reassigned him to a different role and Marty quit. Pees didn’t get fired he just retired and Un-retired a month later. Mattisson didn’t get fired he just took a job at U Michigan

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Roman will still work on blocking with TEs but I don’t want engram fucking up hurst and Andrews as receivers, he can’t coach guys to play the position he played how the fuck is he gonna coach TEs?