• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
As much as I’d like us to extend Mosley, I can certainly see us not paying him 14 to 15m per season, even with our 90m cap space in 2020. I could see us going after a player like Kwon Alexander who could be on a prove it deal due to his ACL tear.
If we don’t sign Mosley, I see Weddle back in Purple for one more season.
Idk man, I wasn’t mosleys biggest fan but he is still such a high iq player and a monster against the run, I worry that our defense might actually fall apart without him, he has his moments where youre frustrated with his lack of explosiveness, but he is a large part of what makes this defense go. We don’t have a great pass rush, our secondary and Mosley are the key components, and our secondary might end up taking a big hit in the near future.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Idk man, I wasn’t mosleys biggest fan but he is still such a high iq player and a monster against the run, I worry that our defense might actually fall apart without him, he has his moments where youre frustrated with his lack of explosiveness, but he is a large part of what makes this defense go. We don’t have a great pass rush, our secondary and Mosley are the key components, and our secondary might end up taking a big hit in the near future.
I can’t say I disagree. He’s pretty good in zone but man is where he struggles and he’s very good in run defense. However his brain is what keeps the defense together and we saw that down the stretch in some of Edgar’s film study

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just think back to the TNF Bengals game and how bad the D looked without Mosley out there. They honestly looked lost. CJ is probably the centerpiece of our defense.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just think back to the TNF Bengals game and how bad the D looked without Mosley out there. They honestly looked lost. CJ is probably the centerpiece of our defense.
Amen. We have no backup for CJ atm. I don't see a viable replacement for him in this draft to even get 80%.
We can't not offer him a contract just because Ozzie handed out a bad one to B. Williams. As other posters and Edgar showed in their posts and videos CJs an integral part of our defense.
We have to live with a high cap number because we haven't extended him earlier. That's why it's refreshing to see DeCosta trying not to do the same mistake again and extend them a season earlier.
We know exactly what we have in CJ and how's gonna play on sundays.
The same cannot be said for ZaDarius for example.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Amen. We have no backup for CJ atm. I don't see a viable replacement for him in this draft to even get 80%.
We can't not offer him a contract just because Ozzie handed out a bad one to B. Williams. As other posters and Edgar showed in their posts and videos CJs an integral part of our defense.
We have to live with a high cap number because we haven't extended him earlier. That's why it's refreshing to see DeCosta trying not to do the same mistake again and extend them a season earlier.
We know exactly what we have in CJ and how's gonna play on sundays.
The same cannot be said for ZaDarius for example.

it would also go against the whole philosophy that eric is trying to put front and centre this year in his first year if we let CJ go - that we need to keep our best talents - make sure we re-sign our top guys and stop letting them leave in free agency

Reactions: cdp

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't see us keeping both Weddle and Mosley this year. If we can't resign Mosley then bank on us keeping Weddle even with his 9M bucks cap number.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Let CJ walk if he wants to be highest paid. Were so close to so much cap and I dont think he effects the game enough to lock him down like that. We need pass rushers. And I wonder how ozzie would feel about Eric letting go an Alabama boy his first year.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
Let CJ walk if he wants to be highest paid. Were so close to so much cap and I dont think he effects the game enough to lock him down like that. We need pass rushers. And I wonder how ozzie would feel about Eric letting go an Alabama boy his first year.

Question: Will we free up money by trading Flacco? If we free up millions, can't we keep both CJ and Weddle?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Question: Will we free up money by trading Flacco? If we free up millions, can't we keep both CJ and Weddle?

We can keep both, regardless. My point is more so about not getting stuck with a guy who I don't think is worth what he will demand. Not just that, but getting more speed overall on the field. This isn't even me trying to knock CJ. He's a good player, but I don't believe he's a game changer. I think he will ask for game changer money. There is also no way we don't receive a 3rd rounder if we let him walk.

BUT... What the hell do I know.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
We can keep both, regardless. My point is more so about not getting stuck with a guy who I don't think is worth what he will demand. Not just that, but getting more speed overall on the field. This isn't even me trying to knock CJ. He's a good player, but I don't believe he's a game changer. I think he will ask for game changer money. There is also no way we don't receive a 3rd rounder if we let him walk.

BUT... What the hell do I know.
He kind of is a game changer though. Maybe not on the field, but he does make the defense go, and if the defense falls apart when you're not there, you're a game changer.

I wouldn't give him $100 million, but I don't think he's going to ask for it, but it'd be absurdly difficult to replace him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We could, but there is no reason to, the nice chunk of cap we have is probably being used to frontload some extensions setting us up for s flexible future, and there is the strongest safety FA class I think I’ve ever seen where we could replace a smart but extremely limited veteran safety, with another smart veteran safety who also brings speed and range. After these primary concerns are addressed, we should have plenty of cap to sign the draft class, make one of our “under the radar” signings, and then pick up some camp cuts.

If we sign Mosley then nobody is leaving this offseason that would get us a good comp pick, unless ZDS somehow gets us more than a 5th. so this would be a good year to go get us a big name or 2. Decosta seems to be set up very nicely in year one.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
He kind of is a game changer though. Maybe not on the field, but he does make the defense go, and if the defense falls apart when you're not there, you're a game changer.

I wouldn't give him $100 million, but I don't think he's going to ask for it, but it'd be absurdly difficult to replace him

When the play calling duty was rightfully snatched the fuck from Peanuts hands, the defense turned it around.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
When the play calling duty was rightfully snatched the fuck from Peanuts hands, the defense turned it around.
And given that Weddle is also very likely gone this year and is even less impactful. Who calls the defense then if both are gone? Peanut? Kenny Young? Don't make me laugh. I'm not confident in either as full time starters. Draft Devin White? He's a hell of an athlete but still really raw, especially on the mental side of things? Kwon Alexander? Even coming off of an injury I don't think he simply commands a one year prove it deal. This really isn't a debatable issue, there isn't a notable guy this offseason that's likely to replace him.

Pay C.J. Unlike Brandon Williams he has more uses than just a simple run defender.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
We could, but there is no reason to, the nice chunk of cap we have is probably being used to frontload some extensions setting us up for s flexible future, and there is the strongest safety FA class I think I’ve ever seen where we could replace a smart but extremely limited veteran safety, with another smart veteran safety who also brings speed and range. After these primary concerns are addressed, we should have plenty of cap to sign the draft class, make one of our “under the radar” signings, and then pick up some camp cuts.

If we sign Mosley then nobody is leaving this offseason that would get us a good comp pick, unless ZDS somehow gets us more than a 5th. so this would be a good year to go get us a big name or 2. Decosta seems to be set up very nicely in year one.
It's what I've been saying all along. Keep CJ, sign a new safety, under the radar signings. Leave the rest to the draft.

There isn't a guy this year that's feasibly going to replace what CJ brings to the table from a mental perspective in either the draft or free agency.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Mosley means a lot for our team but he isnt worth top lb money what so ever.. tough spot to be in for ravens but mosley just doesnt offer what luke, wagner, deion or even zach brown has to offer.we also got those up and coming guys from cowboys and raquan smith. Idk man, tough situation.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

we wont be frontloading because the CBA likely sends the salary cap into orbit - flat contracts are fine but no one in the league is going to be frontloading - even without the new CBA the cap increases by over 10m a year anyway

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Have we ever frontloaded an extension? That would be a first. I'd be happy if we could just flatline them I'd be happy lol

As for CJ I'd go with the transition tag which gives us the right to match what another team is offering CJ. Let them set the market and see if we like those terms. No sense bidding against ourselves and last I heard he wants to be highest paid. Theres almost certain to be cuts like for instance a Sean Lee. Yeah I know his injury history but there'll be others too. Just saying if you can get a solid veteran they can call a damn defense for gawd sakes

Would like to work the compensatory picks for next year which could give us serious ammo to move up in next years draft to get the ace #1 WR or passrusher. Right now Z,Urban,J Brown and possibly Mosley could get us the allotment of 4.