• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

How's the signing bonus spread though? Cause if it's equal through the years it looks a lot like a lesser version of the B.Williams contract.
I think if it's all pushed on year 1 then it does change the picture: you're going to have a lot less dead cap later on and it is indeed much more manageable.

It’s spread evenly across the contract

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How's the signing bonus spread though? Cause if it's equal through the years it looks a lot like a lesser version of the B.Williams contract.
I think if it's all pushed on year 1 then it does change the picture: you're going to have a lot less dead cap later on and it is indeed much more manageable.

the signing bonus is spread across the 1 year remaining on his previous contract and the 3 tacked on extension years - it means the cap hits on the 3 extra years are all around 8 mill and the cap hit on his existing year only goes up by about 1.5m

but its an incredibly manageable deal - absolute worst case he's cuttable in 2 years with only 5m dead money and 3m cap savings...

not really like brandon's deal at all

the signing bonus is spread across the 1 year remaining on his previous contract and the 3 tacked on extension years - it means the cap hits on the 3 extra years are all around 8 mill and the cap hit on his existing year only goes up by about 1.5m

but its an incredibly manageable deal - absolute worst case he's cuttable in 2 years with only 5m dead money and 3m cap savings...

not really like brandon's deal at all

Well Bran also carried a laughable cap hit in his first year (3.8) and after 2020 (2 years before the contract runs out, just like Tavon) you incur in 5 mil savings with 9mil dead money.
It's not about the amount of $, i was referring to the way money were structured and the timing of an eventual release

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I feel like we have slowly been moving away from backloaded contracts over the last few years after some painful lessons learned
I agree and I like that we are moving away from the backloaded contracts. I also like that our team also uses the cap space we have each year to try to make us a winner instead of leaving a lot of money on the table like other teams have done.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I like Tavon Young. That slot corner position is difficult and he is one of the better slot corners in the league. Glad he is sticking around.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well Bran also carried a laughable cap hit in his first year (3.8) and after 2020 (2 years before the contract runs out, just like Tavon) you incur in 5 mil savings with 9mil dead money.
It's not about the amount of $, i was referring to the way money were structured and the timing of an eventual release

the difference is that brandon's deal was fresh - it was a backloaded 5 year deal which meant all the cap hits were based on new money and we made it so that we were stuck with him no matter his play (and restructures were likely because of how we were invested in him from the beginning

tavon's is a 3 year extension - the reason that first cap hit is low is not because the deal's been backloaded but because the only money he's getting in that first year is his initial contract (as in year 4 of his rookie deal) and a quarter of his signing bonus money from the new deal - so his deal isnt backloaded in the same way to manufacture a low cap hit year 1...

a better way to look at this deal in terms of equivalency is to look at it as a 3 year 25 mill deal starting in the 2020 season - with 7.5m of that deal being signing bonus - that's basically what his deal is - he just happens to also have his pre-existing deal this year with 2.5m in signing bonus on his cap hit this year (and also tavon gets to be 10m richer straight away)

so to me it looks and feels nothing like the brandon williams deal

Tank

Hall of Famer
Important to remember that he’s only the highest paid because no high quality slot corners have been paid recently

The best slot in the league Chris Harris jr got 5 for 42.5 in 2015 - so tavon’s getting only slightly more per year than him on a deal signed 4 years later

Guaranteed money will be interesting though
Tavon’s not only a high performer inside but is also capable moving outside if need be and performing well. It would seem that increases his value and further justifies the deal.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Productive couple of weeks for the ravens

We’ve extended a great corner
Got 2 extra picks - the last day 2 pick and an early day 3 pick
Got flacco’s deal off the cap

Things I hope we get done soon:

Cj Mosley re-signing

Things that might also get done:
Ronnie Stanley extension
Not sure we do Ronnie Stanley until next season, since we have a 5th yr option with him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As much as I’d like us to extend Mosley, I can certainly see us not paying him 14 to 15m per season, even with our 90m cap space in 2020. I could see us going after a player like Kwon Alexander who could be on a prove it deal due to his ACL tear.
If we don’t sign Mosley, I see Weddle back in Purple for one more season.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
As much as I’d like us to extend Mosley, I can certainly see us not paying him 14 to 15m per season, even with our 90m cap space in 2020. I could see us going after a player like Kwon Alexander who could be on a prove it deal due to his ACL tear.
Kwon is a beast.. i think him and david are the most underrated lbs in nfl

Last edited by a moderator:

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do you think we might tag him and then trade him for a 2nd or 3rd Round pick?3rd Comp picks are basically early 4th round picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
J. Landry last season and the Eagles plan to tag and trade Foles.
I didn’t say it doesn’t happen, but agree it could. Will be interesting if Foles does end up being tagged and traded.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do you think we might tag him and then trade him for a 2nd or 3rd Round pick?3rd Comp picks are basically early 4th round picks.

We should get a 3rd round comp pick for him if he walks. So unless we’re for sure getting a 2nd rounder, I don’t think it’s worth a tag and trade. Wouldn’t we eat some of that cap?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We should get a 3rd round comp pick for him if he walks. So unless we’re for sure getting a 2nd rounder, I don’t think it’s worth a tag and trade. Wouldn’t we eat some of that cap?
No, a franchise tag would be transferred to the team that trades for him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Tag is a salary with no signing bonus, so that entire cap hit goes to the other team