• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised they went that high considering he had another year left but he is worth the money because he is that good.

I've given up worrying about the money because there's always another deal around the corner that makes it look not so bad. I really like him so I'm glad he's staying.

This. Probably trying to get ahead before someone else sets the market or he has has a crazy season. One less person to worry about next off season as well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Good signing, but I worry somewhat about injuries with him.

Regardless, a slot corner is a starting corner in today’s nfl and he probably should be the highest paid because I believe he probably is the leagues best. When you can slide around east and west and cover those quick hit routes that’s great, but when you can also play the ball like a WR when it comes to you, slide outside and play a #2 role, and also bring a lot of impact in the pass rush from your blitzing, then you are elite in that role. A nickel is the closest secondary defender to the pocket, it would be a complete waste to have the most convenient blitz, be unable to get to the QB...

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Well with the way our OLB's break out in their 4th yr...……….

What happens after the breakout SEASON(singular)?

If we keep Judon and then go FA or draft, cool. I'd love to keep Suggs, but if his demands are too high, let him walk. Only scenario I'd want to keep Judon is if we plan on letting both Suggs and Smith walk. I can't understand why Williams isn't seeing more snaps.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
What happens after the breakout SEASON(singular)?

If we keep Judon and then go FA or draft, cool. I'd love to keep Suggs, but if his demands are too high, let him walk. Only scenario I'd want to keep Judon is if we plan on letting both Suggs and Smith walk. I can't understand why Williams isn't seeing more snaps.

Me thinks Judon will be different. :cool: Also 100% want to keep Suggs but he has to be realistic and Williams will get his chance...…………...in his 4th yr lol.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
Katie Graham @ktmommabear

Ok @Ravens someone is getting pretty impatient and wants to know if mommy needs her own jersey or if we need TWO NEW ones! @Jwalk_back12 we got your back! Ravens or not any team would be lucky to have a player like you! You have the skill and heart! #ThursdayThoughts #13strong

Smokey Brown@Jwalk_back12

im about to lose my cool as well but long as she’s a fan I’ll stay calm

Strange response from Brown.

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Ok @Ravens someone is getting pretty impatient and wants to know if mommy needs her own jersey or if we need TWO NEW ones! @Jwalk_back12 we got your back! Ravens or not any team would be lucky to have a player like you! You have the skill and heart! #ThursdayThoughts #13strong

Sounds like Brown legit wants to stay though, unlike the narrative that he wouldn’t want to because of Lamar. I think by “lose my cool” he means start getting worried due to the dates and stuff. FA is quickly approaching

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor

I wouldn't want to stay if I were Brown. His cryptic responses have me strongly believing he's out the door.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've given up worrying about the money because there's always another deal around the corner that makes it look not so bad. I really like him so I'm glad he's staying.
Not to mention if he balls out next year we would probably have been outbid by another team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This. Probably trying to get ahead before someone else sets the market or he has has a crazy season. One less person to worry about next off season as well.

Important to remember that he’s only the highest paid because no high quality slot corners have been paid recently

The best slot in the league Chris Harris jr got 5 for 42.5 in 2015 - so tavon’s getting only slightly more per year than him on a deal signed 4 years later

Guaranteed money will be interesting though

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
Ryan Mink @ryanmink
·
Essentially, Baltimore turned a 2013 sixth-round pick into a 2019 third-round pick and got the best season (so far) of Ryan Jensen’s career on the cheap. That is exhibit A on how the compensatory pick game is played.

When you put it like that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Productive couple of weeks for the ravens

We’ve extended a great corner
Got 2 extra picks - the last day 2 pick and an early day 3 pick
Got flacco’s deal off the cap

Things I hope we get done soon:

Cj Mosley re-signing

Things that might also get done:
Ronnie Stanley extension

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Don’t know if anyone’s posted this yet:

Tavon numbers different to what i thought I’d seen:

Tavon Young’s new deal with the Ravens:

$10M signing bonus

2019: $1M base ($1M guaranteed)

2020: $5.5M base ($2M guaranteed)

2021: $5.5M base

2022: $5.845M base

So, it’s a base deal of $27.845M (not $25.8M as some reported). Young’s 2019 Cap # is $3.6M (up from $2.1M) and his future Cap #’s are $8M (2020), $8M (2021) and $8.345M (2022).

Which means tavon’s cap number is only up 1.5m this year and the future cap hits are hella manageable

The new money in the deal is pretty even across the 3 new years - does this indicate a slight philosophical change from Ozzie to Eric in how we structure contracts?

Don’t know if anyone’s posted this yet:

Tavon numbers different to what i thought I’d seen:

Tavon Young’s new deal with the Ravens:

$10M signing bonus

2019: $1M base ($1M guaranteed)

2020: $5.5M base ($2M guaranteed)

2021: $5.5M base

2022: $5.845M base

So, it’s a base deal of $27.845M (not $25.8M as some reported). Young’s 2019 Cap # is $3.6M (up from $2.1M) and his future Cap #’s are $8M (2020), $8M (2021) and $8.345M (2022).

Which means tavon’s cap number is only up 1.5m this year and the future cap hits are hella manageable

The new money in the deal is pretty even across the 3 new years - does this indicate a slight philosophical change from Ozzie to Eric in how we structure contracts?

How's the signing bonus spread though? Cause if it's equal through the years it looks a lot like a lesser version of the B.Williams contract.
I think if it's all pushed on year 1 then it does change the picture: you're going to have a lot less dead cap later on and it is indeed much more manageable.

I feel like we have slowly been moving away from backloaded contracts over the last few years after some painful lessons learned