• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Off topic ish but im starting to really like Parris Campbell a lot for us. He can do so much in our offense. And his route running looked really smooth and precise at the combine.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Honestly I think SS is the RB of the defense (not worth investing in) and with a STACKED safety FA class, I would 80-20 rule that every single time.

Same. SS is a position i wouldn't invest heavily in. Feel the same about MLB unless the person has amazingly athletic and some other traits. This isnt a Mosley thing as much as it is I dont think MLB is the position it was prior as far as importance.

Certain positions you just gmcant spend big on unless they person is truly a special talent.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So the weddle news I think is significant for a couple of reasons - I think the timing is interesting

Given how crucial weddle and sizzle and Mosley are to the defence from a play calling standpoint I don’t see how all 3 are out of the building because no matter who we replace them with they won’t know the scheme the way we need them too and there’s no one on our defence who can call our defence which since wink rebuilt it hinges on players making calls and being able to adjust

So weddle being released now makes me think the team is fairly confident cj is coming back because otherwise our defensive playcaller is peanut or TJ - and especially after the bengals game when cj went out there’s no way the organisation trusts anyone but cj or weddle to call the defence

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Weddle was a cool guy but he just can’t close on receivers anymore, so I am not surprised by his release. I think we will try to resign Mosley even if we pay a little more than we would like now that we cut Weddle, losing both of these field leaders will certainly hurt.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I'm baffled by the shock and horror reactions to this cut on twitter. Did so many people really never expect us to cut an old safety who is getting slower by the day?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I will give Weddle this, on that 4th down Mosley INT that won the game, even if Mosley hadn't made that I believe it was Weddle who also read that play and likely had that tackle about 2 yards short

Simba

Staff Member
Just playing devil's advocate - the Weddle cut could also be so he can go out and see what his market is. The Ravens may have made an offer involving a pay cut, but Weddle didn't want to take it right off the bat. Now, he goes out to the market, sees his worth at 34, and maybe comes back to the Ravens if the offer is similar.

Of course, this is all speculation, but the door may still be open.

Last edited:

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm baffled by the shock and horror reactions to this cut on twitter. Did so many people really never expect us to cut an old safety who is getting slower by the day?
I'm pretty surprised, but then again I'm not. Most of twitter is filled with casuals. Weddle is a well-respected name in the league so many people might equate that to his ability.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just playing devil's advocate - the Weddle cut could also be so he can go out and see what his market it. The Ravens may have made an offer involving a pay cut, but Weddle didn't want to take it right off the bat. Now, he goes out to the market, sees his worth at 34, and maybe comes back to the Ravens if the offer is similar.

Of course, this is all speculation, but the door may still be open.

yeah was thinking it might be webb-esque

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I don't think it is so much the Weddle cut but more a reaction to the state of the defense. I think individually these are all fairly smart moves,especially long term, but I also think this defense could look a lot different next year. CJ, Weddle, Suggs, ZS, and Jimmy Smith all potentially going leaves some holes to fill, especially from a leadership standpoint. And then we need to bring in a lot of help for the offense? Not sure that all is going to happen this year.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I will give Weddle this, on that 4th down Mosley INT that won the game, even if Mosley hadn't made that I believe it was Weddle who also read that play and likely had that tackle about 2 yards short
Yeah but he also got away with a massive PI on the play previous. He actually grabbed the guy at the line of scrimmage and held, realizing he had to. we got lucky on that one.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
So the weddle news I think is significant for a couple of reasons - I think the timing is interesting

Given how crucial weddle and sizzle and Mosley are to the defence from a play calling standpoint I don’t see how all 3 are out of the building because no matter who we replace them with they won’t know the scheme the way we need them too and there’s no one on our defence who can call our defence which since wink rebuilt it hinges on players making calls and being able to adjust

So weddle being released now makes me think the team is fairly confident cj is coming back because otherwise our defensive playcaller is peanut or TJ - and especially after the bengals game when cj went out there’s no way the organisation trusts anyone but cj or weddle to call the defence
I dnt think peanut is a good player by any means, however if he had the playcalling duties from beginning of season i think he would be able to do so.. its gonna be difficult for any team if yor primary play caller goes out and you have to rely on someone who isnt used to doing so