• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What’s Smokey been smoking?

Nah. Weddle was a liablity all year and why he got released.
All of this ties in well with talk of analytics and stat output is far from the end all be all. Experience leadership and bringing together a cohesive unit is huge. True Weddle’s lost more than a step but if you don’t think his absence leaves a hole in our league leading D you are kidding yourself. Report how opposing teams worried about game planning against what he brought to our D means more to me than a stat line

He was released for one reason- his cost to us was astronomical and outweighed his value. To say he’s worth $2M per tops is absurd.

We do have an opportunity to replace him with a younger, fresher talent but that person is going to have big shoes to fill in terms of role.

Last edited:

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
All of this ties in well with talk of analytics and stat output is far from the end all be all. Experience leadership and bringing together a cohesive unit is huge. True he’s lost more than a step but if you don’t think his absence leaves a hole in our league leading D you are kidding yourself. Report how opposing teams worried about game planning against what he brought to out D means more to me than a stat line

He was released for one reason- his cost to us was astronomical and outweighed his value. To say he’s worth $3M per tops is absurd.

We do have an opportunity to replace him with a younger, fresher talent but that person is going to have big shoes to fill in terms of role.

Spot on with that. I miss Weddle, but he probably declined restructuring and a lower salary to stay on the team. I wonder also if we could have kept Flacco or if restructuring his huge contract was discussed with him. The salary cap is a key concept managed by the organization.

Michael Pierce got a 2nd round tender.
Absolutely as expected. Pierce is worth every bit of that tender. Peanuts 2nd round tender was not as much of a no brainer but still made perfect sense especially given his performance last year and the current uncertainty around the ILB position

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Absolutely as expected. Pierce is worth every bit of that tender. Peanuts 2nd round tender was not as much of a no brainer but still made perfect sense especially given his performance last year and the current uncertainty around the ILB position
Does that mean anyone can just snag Pierce with their second rounder or do we have right to refusal?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Ravens fan: we need to be dominant upfront and build this offense around the running game.

EDC: resigns a top blocking TE

Ravens fan: this team is screwed

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Peanut was a no brainer since he was undrafted and definetly would have been pursuid which would probally have cost us more than the 3 mil this year.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
As far as our ILB situation if we don't resign Mosley I think we'll be allright. Peanut is coming along and Young got experience last year. There's a couple AAFL ILB's that we could bring in, a veteran cut ( Sean Lee perhaps?), and draft a TJ Edwards or somebody of that ilk in the mid rds and you know damn well some RFA will make a wave lol. All and all tho we'll be allright.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens fan: we need to be dominant upfront and build this offense around the running game.

EDC: resigns a top blocking TE

Ravens fan: this team is screwed
Dwayne Allen signed a 7m dollar contract. I would've let Boyle walk, sign Allen and get the comp pick or at least a player who qualifies for the formula.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Most players we’ve had in recent memory, I would want the tendered second over the player, Michael Pierce is not in that category. He has a chance to be a perennial pro bowler.