• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

redrum52

Hall of Famer
At $16 mi.? eh, I think they take their chances and part ways. Maybe a cap friendly extension.

This is what I was thinking initially, but with the season over, I could see him staying. It all depends on who the FA thinks they can get. If they think they can land a big FA, yes, but can make a case there's no reason to make a move. The cap from Flacco and potentially Weddle opens up a lot of space and no reason to get rid of him just to do it. Then again, haven't figured the Mosley extension into the equation and how much room we'd have left.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
After all is said and done and settled for couple days, I can't shake the feeling that our staff sold Lamar incredibly short. To me, he looks capable of much more than he was allowed to do. Accuracy issues are there but there were numerous plays where he extended the drive with his arm, some pretty long passes, too. If we trusted him more, he would have done more and if we did, our running game would have become even more dangerous. Instead, our receivers and TEs were mostly blocking, making Lamar look indecisive and confused when in reality there wasn't too many places to go to with the pass. He also looks more natural if we play with more pace and it seems he'll either need new OC to teach other guys to fucking move and run to the line in 2 min offense or he'll have to teach them himself.

I understand the initial caution but they stayed with the same set of limited options all the way through to WC game, without ever trying to expand on them and, to make things worse, made it even tighter in the playoffs.

I don't buy for a second the explanation "they saw him in practice, he couldn't do it" because our staff apparently does not see much at all, as evidenced in games since Lamar started.

I really hope for Lamar's sake that we add some competency to our offensive staff and some weapons in the offseason.

With that, I'm finished with 2018, time to talk FA, draft and next season.
“ indecisive” literally perfect word for lamar.. he hesistates alot for some reason..

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
“ indecisive” literally perfect word for lamar.. he hesistates alot for some reason..
That's because he needs to read coverage better pre snap. He needs to know where to go before the ball is snapped. That'll come with time and experience. I have no doubt that he'll vastly improve this offseason.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
At $16 mi.? eh, I think they take their chances and part ways. Maybe a cap friendly extension.

Just by getting rid of Flacco, we're going to have a ton of cap space and the cap is going up league-wide to begin with. Also, if we part ways with Weddle then that's additional cap space to work with. It only makes sense to cut Jimmy if there's a coveted FA out there that would make a bigger impact than he does for this team.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Just by getting rid of Flacco, we're going to have a ton of cap space and the cap is going up league-wide to begin with. Also, if we part ways with Weddle then that's additional cap space to work with. It only makes sense to cut Jimmy if there's a coveted FA out there that would make a bigger impact than he does for this team.
To put it in perspective, we gain $10mil. by trading/releasing Flacco. We would gain $9.5 mil. trading/releasing Smith.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd say only cut Jimmy if we actually have a plan for that extra money. Like trying to make a run for Earl Thomas, or bringing in a handful of higher end defensive talent.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'd say only cut Jimmy if we actually have a plan for that extra money. Like trying to make a run for Earl Thomas, or bringing in a handful of higher end defensive talent.
Jerry has earl on lock as well as Demarcus Lawerence.

I’d drop a pretty penny for a safety though. Lamarcus Joyner would be a hell of a get but only if he leaves. Matheiu would be as well. Amos too. Tre Boston would be underrated.

We need to find another pass rusher too. David Irving flies way under the radar and he knows how to get to the QB and the cowboys are strapped for cash. Interior man we could use to help collapse the pocket.

The real focus other than safety this offseason needs to be that we build the trenches. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m tired of our constant neglect of the oline in favor of bums like Skura.

Not like it’ll matter. We’ll start them next season anyways. Even if we draft Cody Ford round one

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jerry has earl on lock as well as Demarcus Lawerence.

I’d drop a pretty penny for a safety though. Lamarcus Joyner would be a hell of a get but only if he leaves. Matheiu would be as well. Amos too. Tre Boston would be underrated.

We need to find another pass rusher too. David Irving flies way under the radar and he knows how to get to the QB and the cowboys are strapped for cash. Interior man we could use to help collapse the pocket.

The real focus other than safety this offseason needs to be that we build the trenches. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m tired of our constant neglect of the oline in favor of bums like Skura.

Not like it’ll matter. We’ll start them next season anyways. Even if we draft Cody Ford round one
With cutting Jimmy, I think we could definitely make a run for Amos. We could possibly be the first team to bring him in for a talk while everyone else goes for Thomas and Landon Collins. Maybe cut TJ as well to free up money, and like our younger safeties and Levine battle it out for the SS position.

I think Henry Anderson would be affordable as an interior guy that can get a bit of pressure. He was 12th last year for pressures from interior D linemen. For edge, Brandon Graham could actually be a good pickup. He's not young, but he's still on the back end of his prime, and has been good against the pass and run. Also, there's Shaq Barrett, who is super underrated as an edge rusher. He'd be a perfect fit for us.

For OL, draft a mauler for LG, make Bozeman the C, and bring in some depth. Main interior targets should be Mark Glowinski and Matt Paradise so we'd have a real competition for those spots.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Eric Weddle said he will sit down and speak with Eric DeCosta. Said he’d like to finish out last year of deal w/Ravens, but if Ravens don’t want him back, he will retire and “ride off into sunset.”

it's cool he feels that strongly about this place - just like SSS it's cool that these guys come here and feel like they've come home despite spending most of their time in different organisations

John Brown, who is a free agent, said he’d love to be back with Ravens. Called it most fun year he’s ever had. Acknowledged it won’t be all about money, but said he likely won’t be accepting 1-year deal this offseason.

Robert Griffin III: “id love to be back. I feel like I have a good grasp of what this team is trying to do.”

we've got a nice culture here

I just made a very similar post in random thought thread. It's really nice to hear!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Was looking at the free agent group for guards and centers... man it dont look good so unless we trade for one, i can us investing atleast 2 picks on interior olinemen in draft...

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
Does it though? Jimmy's injury history is well-documented, but Marlon was battling groin issues through a few games and Tavon didn't even suit up for our playoff game. I just think we're in a really good spot with our CB corps right now in that we can absorb multiple losses and still have depth to fill in for those guys. I'd prefer to just keep Jimmy and get at least one more year out of this group because we might not have this kind of depth ever again.

I am for dumping J. Smith. Why? He gets beat way too often. Seemingly when we rely on him in a key situation he fails us. I have not looked at the 2019 draft, but could another CB be very high?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Was looking at the free agent group for guards and centers... man it dont look good so unless we trade for one, i can us investing atleast 2 picks on interior olinemen in draft...
Early and late picks.
Then Skura starts, Bozeman, Hurst and early draft pick fight for LG spot, Hurst wins, early draft pick inactive first 6 weeks, late pick is on PS, Bozeman subbing in on 24 snaps off the bench.

Marty very happy with progress and development and physical play by Hurst.

Meanwhile, Harbaugh is back at it - Jimmy Smith, Humphrey, Hayden and Henry IRd, Timmy in a dog house, Bowser our best rusher with 1.5 sacks going into short week (TNF @Rams week 7).

It could happen.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
With cutting Jimmy, I think we could definitely make a run for Amos. We could possibly be the first team to bring him in for a talk while everyone else goes for Thomas and Landon Collins. Maybe cut TJ as well to free up money, and like our younger safeties and Levine battle it out for the SS position.

I think Henry Anderson would be affordable as an interior guy that can get a bit of pressure. He was 12th last year for pressures from interior D linemen. For edge, Brandon Graham could actually be a good pickup. He's not young, but he's still on the back end of his prime, and has been good against the pass and run. Also, there's Shaq Barrett, who is super underrated as an edge rusher. He'd be a perfect fit for us.

For OL, draft a mauler for LG, make Bozeman the C, and bring in some depth. Main interior targets should be Mark Glowinski and Matt Paradise so we'd have a real competition for those spots.
We're going to have cap room.... And since Anderson and Irving fly under the radar GET BOTH. Wink runs a heavy and agressive scheme where we blitz a majority of the time. Having those two constantly collapse the pocket might get us a super bowl with a shitty offense.

Paradis is not happening...... Not because he's a bad player, he's just not a scheme fit and there's no way in hell Gary is going to let the perfect C for his offense get away, especially if they do trade for Flacco.

We're gonna have money and the FA class for the offense is weak. The interior oline draft is strong. This defense is going to be good next year anyways, but the money should go into the defense and we should focus on building the oline and possibly acquiring weapons in the draft if a good RB falls to us in the third round.

My ideal FA period would be

Adrian Amos(to replace Weddle, he likely wouldn't be too expensive)
David Irving
Henry Anderson
Preston Smith(to replace Za'Darius)

I don't think there's a WR worth paying a lot of money too in this FA period, and the same goes for RB, and the olinemen are unlikely to leave their teams. All four of those players fly under the radar, shouldn't be too expensive, and provide high impacts and aren't even among the biggest names for their respective positions in FA.... It should be doable and yet each of these four improves the defense massively despite not really having the actual sack numbers to back it up. In fact, we might be able to free enough just be getting rid of Flacco alone for that.