• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
12m would push us hard up against the salary cap - because its a 2 year deal you cant really lower the first year too much (so say 10m e.g.) but that would leave us with 7m cap left for the season and you take another 2.5 off that for the rookie class to fit under the cap + you normally want to go into a season with a few mill in cap space spare for emergencies etc. and the suddenly we're strapped for space

a longer deal and you can artificially lower the cap hit in his first year knowing that there's likely no guaranteed money in year 3 and beyond and the signing bonus is less extreme spread across the extra years (even when you add on extra money because its a longer deal)
I know all of that, all I’m saying is, is it really that bad if we start the regular season with 4-5m in cap space? What are we gonna spend that on midseason? Why does it matter once the season starts? It’s not like we’re totally strapped and couldn’t sign someone off the street in case of emergency, if we had 4-5m we would be fine, and our pass rush would make a gigantic leap. One year of being tight against the cap is worth it for 2 years of a big upgrade at edge rusher.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know all of that, all I’m saying is, is it really that bad if we start the regular season with 4-5m in cap space? What are we gonna spend that on midseason? Why does it matter once the season starts? It’s not like we’re totally strapped and couldn’t sign someone off the street in case of emergency, if we had 4-5m we would be fine, and our pass rush would make a gigantic leap. One year of being tight against the cap is worth it for 2 years of a big upgrade at edge rusher.

some of that you need to cover the move from rule of 51 to the full 53 man roster - and any time you get an injury it eats another .5m + you have to pay the practice squad - all of that eats away at the money - you dont want to have to restructure contracts mid-season just to be able to fill out your roster under the cap...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i like pierce alot but is he just another version of bwill? Our defense have always relied on big guys in the middle but it wasnt untill those big guys stop getting pressure and sacks that our defense wasnt the force it used to be.
Pierce was better as a UDFA than Williams ever was, and Williams made a pro bowl for some inexplicable ass reason but honestly pierce is deserving of a pro bowl nod, he was one of the most physically dominant 2 down DTs in the league this year

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pierce was better as a UDFA than Williams ever was, and Williams made a pro bowl for some inexplicable ass reason but honestly pierce is deserving of a pro bowl nod, he was one of the most physically dominant 2 down DTs in the league this year
Couldn't agree more!

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pierce can stop the run nearly as good as Bwill, but is far better against the pass. He's so much quicker off the line, and gets a lot more push. It amazes me that no one drafted Pierce. A DL with those physical traits is more than worth a 6th or 7th round pick on potential.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I hope we can lock up Pierce next, that's the only way I'd feel comfortable letting B-Will go after this season unless we landed a top defensive lineman in the first come April.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
I am sure it's for rotational reasons and the savings wouldn't outweigh the production/loss, but we could in theory cut bwill as a post-june 1 for 6.25M in savings. Could use that for a multitude of things, trading for a WR/Edge/OL to absorb the salary, extend, etc. Unfortunately there aren't many FA left worth entertaining. I like where we're at, and what EDC has done thus far. I've always liked Inman but not at this stage, maybe after the draft or later down the line.

I personally hope we solidify our OL in the first round, take Parris, or trade down and accumulate picks. I think our defense will be formidable enough either way due to our CB depth, and if we can control teams with an upgraded OL we have a good enough scheme to win close games and Tucker to solidify it for us.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Pierce can stop the run nearly as good as Bwill, but is far better against the pass. He's so much quicker off the line, and gets a lot more push. It amazes me that no one drafted Pierce. A DL with those physical traits is more than worth a 6th or 7th round pick on potential.
I’d say he can stop the run better. When bwill and pierce were both on the field pierce was drawing the double teams most of the time, and pierce was causing more destruction vs double teams than bwill caused against single blocks

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I’d say he can stop the run better. When bwill and pierce were both on the field pierce was drawing the double teams most of the time, and pierce was causing more destruction vs double teams than bwill caused against single blocks
I know it's popular to thrash BWill's contract and to appreciate how great a find Pierce has been, but let's stay real here.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man

Aaron Donald must have looked at B.Wills contract and be like laughing with joy when going to the table with the rams

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It would be a mistake to let go of Williams right now because we will need him and the other guys to keep the LB clean especially without Mosley. That’s paramount now that we lost him not that he was an elite player but more that you can’t make the LB corps weaker by deducting at DL. I would definitely extend Pierce with the money we have because we can make Williams expendable after that to free up more cap in future years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It would be a mistake to let go of Williams right now because we will need him and the other guys to keep the LB clean especially without Mosley. That’s paramount now that we lost him not that he was an elite player but more that you can’t make the LB corps weaker by deducting at DL. I would definitely extend Pierce with the money we have because we can make Williams expendable after that to free up more cap in future years.

We also gain nothing by getting rid of him this year - even if we cut him post June 1st all we’re doing is shifting dead money into the future

As maligned (and disappointing) as Brandon Williams is - having him on the team is much better than not having him on the team - at least for 1 more year

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pierce is better than Williams in every way. Williams' contract was a blunder.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Pierce is better than Williams in every way. Williams' contract was a blunder.

He was defintely better last year than in previous years. I think Wink did a good job with keeping Williams and Pierce fresh but when Pierce was a full time starter in 2017 he disappointed.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
Wink is going to have his hands full without a stout leader like CJ to line the defense up and lead it. Will we be strong up the middle enough to neutralize the run? I know we develop linebackers well but I am worried about us up the middle on defense despite Pierce and Williams on the front end.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Wink is going to have his hands full without a stout leader like CJ to line the defense up and lead it. Will we be strong up the middle enough to neutralize the run? I know we develop linebackers well but I am worried about us up the middle on defense despite Pierce and Williams on the front end.
And there’s actually a triple hit to vet leadership with Siz and Weddle gone as well.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Guys I'm confident about to step up next year

Willie Henry ( probably an upgrade tbh)
Tim Williams ( a hunch)
De'Shon Eliot ( when he plays)

Guys i'm iffy about

Kenny Young
Jordan Lasley

Who I'm not high on at all

Bowser
Jaleel Scott