• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Greg Roman

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Something I noticed with Roman is that the passing game heavily went through about two players total. Your #1 WR, and then your TE. In san francisco this was most noticable, especially in 2013, when Davis and Boldin really were the passing attack there. Boldin, in particular, played a lot out of the slot too.

I would easily say that Roman knew how to utilize them in the passing game, as he was far superior than Cam Cameron ever was in that regard. Gives me plenty of hope for the future of the passing attack. That's not to say that the other wide receivers were useless, they had their uses, but they weren't world beaters and frankly they didn't have to be either.

And those niners teams show we investing heavily on the oline needs to be an absolute necessity. Those offensive lines, respectively, were likely the best in the league when Roman was there. We need to target multiple players on the interior. I think Snead, and Crabtree can man the fort at the WR position next year and that we should acquire multiple WRs in 2020.

This year, for the sake of roman I'd look into

-retooling the interior oline: though I think Bozeman is a future starter somewhere on the line, we have to account for Yanda's age. So I'd draft two of them.
-getting a bell-cow RB. I like Dixon and Gus as much as the next guy but neither are #1 RBs

More than anything. Gore was the focal point of the entire offense and was a solid receiver out of the backfield. With Lamar I would expect something similar.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Something I noticed with Roman is that the passing game heavily went through about two players total. Your #1 WR, and then your TE. In san francisco this was most noticable, especially in 2013, when Davis and Boldin really were the passing attack there. Boldin, in particular, played a lot out of the slot too.

I would easily say that Roman knew how to utilize them in the passing game, as he was far superior than Cam Cameron ever was in that regard. Gives me plenty of hope for the future of the passing attack. That's not to say that the other wide receivers were useless, they had their uses, but they weren't world beaters and frankly they didn't have to be either.

And those niners teams show we investing heavily on the oline needs to be an absolute necessity. Those offensive lines, respectively, were likely the best in the league when Roman was there. We need to target multiple players on the interior. I think Snead, and Crabtree can man the fort at the WR position next year and that we should acquire multiple WRs in 2020.

-retooling the interior oline: though I think Bozeman is a future starter somewhere on the line, we have to account for Yanda's age. So I'd draft two of them.
-getting a bell-cow RB. I like Dixon and Gus as much as the next guy but neither are #1 RBs

More than anything. Gore was the focal point of the entire offense and was a solid receiver out of the backfield. With Lamar I would expect something similar.
Idk how anyone could disagree with this

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I like it, I like that Roman recognizes what players make the offense tick, and uses them accordingly. Kaepernick, gore, Davis, Crabtree, then he had Tyrod, shady, clay, Watkins, and he worked all of them, although the former better than the latter..

Right now it better go, in order: lamar, Andrews, Dixon, Snead.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like it, I like that Roman recognizes what players make the offense tick, and uses them accordingly. Kaepernick, gore, Davis, Crabtree, then he had Tyrod, shady, clay, Watkins, and he worked all of them, although the former better than the latter..

Right now it better go, in order: lamar, Andrews, Dixon, Snead.

Don't forget Hurst. I honestly don't think WR is a big need for us if we can use both of our TEs effectively in the passing game.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Don't forget Hurst. I honestly don't think WR is a big need for us if we can use both of our TEs effectively in the passing game.
Hurst is gonna be a crucial part of a Roman offense, but the passing production will be through Andrews, Dixon, and Snead I believe. Andrews should become the big play high volume threat, while Dixon should be getting a good bit of designed dumps and screens, and Snead is the security blanket, hurst will make a lot happen as a mover and blocker but I believe the targets and catches and big plays will be a secondary thing for him, at least right now

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hurst is gonna be a crucial part of a Roman offense, but the passing production will be through Andrews, Dixon, and Snead I believe. Andrews should become the big play high volume threat, while Dixon should be getting a good bit of designed dumps and screens, and Snead is the security blanket, hurst will make a lot happen as a mover and blocker but I believe the targets and catches and big plays will be a secondary thing for him, at least right now

I agree that Hurst is going to make things happen as a mover and blocker, but it would still be wise for Roman to get him more targets in the passing game because he could be just as dangerous as Andrews. Get Hurst the ball in space and he's going to make some big YAC plays since he's more athletic. Who are teams going to double if both Andrews and Hurst are going out for passes? Lamar will be able to hit whoever is 1-on-1 with a defender. I hope and expect Hurst to be a huge part of the passing game next year along with the others mentioned.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It is a need when we have one that's decent and that's it. If anything happens to Snead out passing offense is dead.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Guys, we do need a deep threat. Roman does like his deep passing game and while Hurst and Andrews can stretch the field, it’d be wise to have someone like that.

I like Lasley but he’s a massive project and sorry y’all but Chris Moore isn’t anything more than a #3 and doesn’t have reliable hands. We need a reliable deep threat

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Guys, we do need a deep threat. Roman does like his deep passing game and while Hurst and Andrews can stretch the field, it’d be wise to have someone like that.

I like Lasley but he’s a massive project and sorry y’all but Chris Moore isn’t anything more than a #3 and doesn’t have reliable hands. We need a reliable deep threat
Although I agree, Moore isn’t anything more than a 3, and coming into a contract year, his hands were pretty good this year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

exactly - the whole idea of the offence and the promotion of roman as stated by harbs in his end of year presser was to build up this offence from scratch around the running game and the big-play passing game

for that to work we cant just rely on tight ends willie snead - we're going to have to bring someone in who's a reliable big play maker - they dont necessarily have to be a deep threat but they have to be a receiver who creates chunk plays

and moore isn't that guy - at this point he's a supplementary #4 receiver who's a good special teams player

id be more hopeful of lasley being that guy but he's a complete wildcard at this point

A1A

Veteran

Theres a guy on YouTube that broke this down pretty well and alot of comments were made in regards to Moore not fixing his miscues. Now that can say either two things....1. He just isnt to bright/just isnt that good or 2. The coaching staff is just not very good at doing their jobs.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Resign brown and draft me.. deep threat issues solved
How are your hands, route running, run-blocking, finding soft spots in zones, and YAC ability? Anything less than excellent in ALL qualities I mentioned = trash. Them the rules and I'm just the messenger.
323-3239506_kanye-west-shrug-transparent.png