• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Now that they're gone, my absolute least favorite thing about GMing the Ravens last year is that you get trade PMs on literally everyone. Had PMs last year asking about guys like Humphrey and Stanley like that was ever going to happen.
Speaking of @Grim check your PMs.

Thanks @RavensMania for the pick.

Little head up to all those who already have made a selection: go on the spotrac page and take a screenshot of all the players on your roster and the overall cap situation of your team.
This, in order to set a starting point and avoid confusion with the RL team manouvers, coming FA.
I don't know if it's already been told but I guess one more post wouldn't hurt

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thanks @RavensMania for the pick.

Little head up to all those who already have made a selection: go on the spotrac page and take a screenshot of all the players on your roster and the overall cap situation of your team.
This, in order to set a starting point and avoid confusion with the RL team manouvers, coming FA.
I don't know if it's already been told but I guess one more post wouldn't hurt

Worth checking overthecap as well to double check because if there’s a numbers disparity, overthecap is more likely to have the right details vs spotrac which has been known to get things wrong

Worth checking overthecap as well to double check because if there’s a numbers disparity, overthecap is more likely to have the right details vs spotrac which has been known to get things wrong

Of course that too.
My Chiefs cap and roster are pretty accurate..will double check later but there seems to be only a slight difference (1mil) between the 2

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
We're only using one source for the contracts. For what it's worth, we were this close to making the switch one or two years ago to Overthecap, but we found a myriad of errors on their end and decided to stick with the current option.

Reactions: cdp

Simba

Staff Member
We're only using one source for the contracts. For what it's worth, we were this close to making the switch one or two years ago to Overthecap, but we found a myriad of errors on their end and decided to stick with the current option.

FWIW, Spotrac seems to be having a number of huge errors this year, so it’s probably worth considering at least looking at it. The Ravens in particular are just egregiously wrong.

Can someone reach out to MarkAndrews as he has been on the clock for almost 11 hours overnight since 9:32pm EST last night. Is he in Europe?

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
FWIW, Spotrac seems to be having a number of huge errors this year, so it’s probably worth considering at least looking at it. The Ravens in particular are just egregiously wrong.
I've actually looked into that case, and I believe that I have a good feel for what happened. So their Top 51 numbers are close enough to be essentially equal minus two differences. OTC mentions "other" bonuses for Snead, Weddle and Levine for 2019, which I haven't been able to confirm otherwise. The big difference is Flacco's contract, which Spotrac has taken off of the Ravens' books, I would presume to be accounted for once the trade is official. They did add his base salary to the Denver side, however, so I can't confirm the latter. That said, I've had a tough time fleshing out how to confirm the numbers on both sides, unsurprisingly since these sites are what is used for such. I have noticed that OTC has kept names around of current FAs, especially as it pertains to declined options. For example, both Pierre Garcon and Earl Mitchell are listed as current 49ers despite having their options formally declined, making up the vast majority of the difference between the sites' two cap numbers. To my eye, it appeared that the Flacco contract was the lone fix for Spotrac. That said, I welcome people to come forth with any examples they can find of proven inaccuracies. It would be much appreciated. We still have some time.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
For anyone investigating along with me, make sure to use the raw Top 51 numbers on Spotrac and not the Total (Top 51) in the summary box listed in the top-right. The latter figure accounts for the rollover, dead money, and draft class considerations. The raw number can be found at the bottom.

Simba

Staff Member
I've actually looked into that case, and I believe that I have a good feel for what happened. So their Top 51 numbers are close enough to be essentially equal minus two differences. OTC mentions "other" bonuses for Snead, Weddle and Levine for 2019, which I haven't been able to confirm otherwise. The big difference is Flacco's contract, which Spotrac has taken off of the Ravens' books, I would presume to be accounted for once the trade is official. They did add his base salary to the Denver side, however, so I can't confirm the latter. That said, I've had a tough time fleshing out how to confirm the numbers on both sides, unsurprisingly since these sites are what is used for such. I have noticed that OTC has kept names around of current FAs, especially as it pertains to declined options. For example, both Pierre Garcon and Earl Mitchell are listed as current 49ers despite having their options formally declined, making up the vast majority of the difference between the sites' two cap numbers. To my eye, it appeared that the Flacco contract was the lone fix for Spotrac. That said, I welcome people to come forth with any examples they can find of proven inaccuracies. It would be much appreciated. We still have some time.

Obviously it's an outside source that doesn't really factor in here, but Brian McFarland reported the both Snead and Weddle hit incentives for the 2018 season, which turned into LTBE incentives for 2019. I assume that would be the case for Levine as well but I don't know that he was specifically mentioned. That's just to clear up that difference, but at least that's something that OTC accounted.

I definitely haven't and won't have time to look at other teams, so if anyone else wants to take a peak, I'm sure it would be helpful. I just think there's definitely a discussion to be had when 2 sites are nearly $20M off on the cap numbers (pending the Flacco trade being made official).

For what it's worth, I know a lot of the cap gurus out there in the Twitterverse greatly prefer OTC to Spotrac. From my understanding, it sounds like OTC gets everything right even if updates are a little on the slower side. Kind of a pick your poison type of thing. I do remember that when we considering OTC a couple of years back, we ended up saying no because they had some questionable numbers in there without much detail into how they got there. If I remember correctly, those ended up being those 4th year rookie contract escalators that were on the newer side at the time. It seems accuracy might be better there, but again, it's pick your poison on the update side of things.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Obviously it's an outside source that doesn't really factor in here, but Brian McFarland reported the both Snead and Weddle hit incentives for the 2018 season, which turned into LTBE incentives for 2019. I assume that would be the case for Levine as well but I don't know that he was specifically mentioned. That's just to clear up that difference, but at least that's something that OTC accounted.

I definitely haven't and won't have time to look at other teams, so if anyone else wants to take a peak, I'm sure it would be helpful. I just think there's definitely a discussion to be had when 2 sites are nearly $20M off on the cap numbers (pending the Flacco trade being made official).

For what it's worth, I know a lot of the cap gurus out there in the Twitterverse greatly prefer OTC to Spotrac. From my understanding, it sounds like OTC gets everything right even if updates are a little on the slower side. Kind of a pick your poison type of thing. I do remember that when we considering OTC a couple of years back, we ended up saying no because they had some questionable numbers in there without much detail into how they got there. If I remember correctly, those ended up being those 4th year rookie contract escalators that were on the newer side at the time. It seems accuracy might be better there, but again, it's pick your poison on the update side of things.
Good to hear about the incentives. That would make sense. Interestingly enough, Spotrac lists the incentives within the contracts. But the Flacco contract is the exact difference between the two incentives aside. I've looked at the raw Top 51 figures for multiple teams and they actually seem very close. My issues with OTC at the moment with respect to our proceedings is that their slow updates would mean having to comb through each roster for traded players and current FAs. Having done the audits, it's not a promising addition to the math portion of this event.

Simba

Staff Member
Good to hear about the incentives. That would make sense. Interestingly enough, Spotrac lists the incentives within the contracts. But the Flacco contract is the exact difference between the two incentives aside. I've looked at the raw Top 51 figures for multiple teams and they actually seem very close. My issues with OTC at the moment with respect to our proceedings is that their slow updates would mean having to comb through each roster for traded players and current FAs. Having done the audits, it's not a promising addition to the math portion of this event.

One other thing that might factor (in reference to Garcon and Mitchell on the 49ers, and your latter point) is that those moves don't look like they've been officially processed by the league yet. Just depends how you'd want to attack that, of course.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
One other thing that might factor (in reference to Garcon and Mitchell on the 49ers, and your latter point) is that those moves don't look like they've been officially processed by the league yet. Just depends how you'd want to attack that, of course.
That's an excellent thing to bring up. We were discussing the Flacco situation in that respect, and it looks like we already set a precedent last year with the Alex Smith situation in that we counted the trade as being finalized before it actually was. This should extend to the other made but yet to be made official moves.