• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

Simba

Staff Member
With as much draft capital as the San Francisco 49ers have, it is worth taking a chance on Jeffery Simmons with the 14th pick in the 2nd Round. Arguably a top 10 to 15 talent in this draft, with the versatility to play all over the defensive line. IMO, this is truly the bpa available and certainly not a need of the 49ers, but I couldn't pass up on a talent like this. Simmons throws guards and centers around like a rag doll. He has such power and length and if you watch his game vs good offensive lines, ie Iowa, he still dominates.

Jeffery Simmons will most likely be starting off the year on PUP due to his ACL tear.

Yeah Simmons has been in the back of my mind for awhile. Not that I expected it by any means, but if he had made it to my pick in the 3rd, I would have pulled the trigger without question. I just couldn't justify using my first pick or multiple picks in a trade up to get him. With you having 454 picks though, it's a great move.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Thompson was my second choice behind Adderley. I liked both of them and had a hard time choosing one.
Appreciate that. His tape trailed off towards the end of the season. I know that his long speed is a question mark. Honestly, I don't even know if he was everyone's top safety remaining when he was taken. But the way I see it, the Patriots utilized quite a bit of Cover 1, at least down the stretch. Which makes sense given how capable their corners were in press-man, and if they can reroute the wideouts inside, it'll help Thompson find his range.

I've been a fan of Ricardo Allen for years now, and I feel like he's been an underappreciated quality starter, and he's covered the middle third often in Atlanta. So this wasn't a need by any means. But I see Thompson as a Kenny Phillips type, during his best years, when it comes covering that middle third or playing over the top. This move allows me to move Devin McCourty to the slot in Nickle scenarios, and with McCourty hinting at retirement, I'd at least be able to secure the future with Thompson, Allen and Anthony Harris.

Simba

Staff Member
Cannot believe Deandre Baker made it to the middle of the 2nd round.

The tape is good, but I do worry about him being called for a lot of PIs in the NFL with how physical he is. You take the good with the bad with him.

I know there are some reports of character concerns as well, but I have no clue how true that is.

The tape is good, but I do worry about him being called for a lot of PIs in the NFL with how physical he is. You take the good with the bad with him.

I know there are some reports of character concerns as well, but I have no clue how true that is.

Fair enough, but he’s not even going to need to be terribly physical playing for a Houston defense that will get lots of pressure on the qb.

Simba

Staff Member
Fair enough, but he’s not even going to need to be terribly physical playing for a Houston defense that will get lots of pressure on the qb.

FWIW, he was #5 on my board of 5 players back when I picked, so I do like him. Just can't dismiss the apparent concerns which is why he likely didn't go in round 1.