• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 Baltimore Orioles

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thanks Givens.

Lol 1st I thought you was thinking about turkey and dressing and I'm thinking its Memorial Day. Grilling season baby!! Ribs and sausages.

The O's are in serious need of pitching help and I'm not sure we have a closer in the pipeline but Givins performance shows us how valuable one is.

Please everyone give a thought and prayer to our vets. Our country/freedoms wouldn't be what they are w/o them!!

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Why do I see people saying to trade Trey Manchini when he's a great piece to our rebuild and future? Pay him well and keep him an Oriole for life, he'll be one of the key players in our rebuild moving forward.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Why do I see people saying to trade Trey Manchini when he's a great piece to our rebuild and future? Pay him well and keep him an Oriole for life, he'll be one of the key players in our rebuild moving forward.
One argument is that he'll be in his 30s before we should be competitive again.

I don't know, if we get a good offer for him, I think we should make a trade. But I don't want to just give him away for nothing.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

We already know he is a superstar. I'm totally against trading him cuz prospects are not guaranteed to become superstars

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
We already know he is a superstar. I'm totally against trading him cuz prospects are not guaranteed to become superstars
One argument is that he'll be in his 30s before we should be competitive again.

I don't know, if we get a good offer for him, I think we should make a trade. But I don't want to just give him away for nothing.

30's is hitting your time bro lol

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Dwight Smith Jr. with a GRAND SLAM! The O's were down 5-2 and they took the 6-5 lead in the bottom of the first. They now lead 8-6 at the top of the 5th. I keep saying it but I love their competitive spirit despite the rebuild and what their record is. Come On O's, give us a sequel 30 years in the making, WHY NOT!

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I go back and forth on Macnini. He would likely be getting paid a lot more by that time and we have already seen what can happen to guys as they age(Trumbo and Davis anyone?). But I also think it would be good to at least have someone who can be the leader of the team through the rebuild and hopefully still contribute in our contending years. Guess it depends on what sort of return we would get.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
30's is hitting your time bro lol

I go back and forth on Macnini. He would likely be getting paid a lot more by that time and we have already seen what can happen to guys as they age(Trumbo and Davis anyone?). But I also think it would be good to at least have someone who can be the leader of the team through the rebuild and hopefully still contribute in our contending years. Guess it depends on what sort of return we would get.
The money he will likely get and the return from a trade are what I'm thinking about. He'll be a free agent in 2023, according to baseball reference. Assuming a successful rebuild will take about 4-5 years, and considering 2019 as year 1, Mancini's gonna be stuck on a rebuilding team for most of his time here. Right as we're about to be good, he's going to command a big contract. Maybe Elias and ownership will be willing to pay him that much, but there's also the concern about giving him a contract that will last into his late 30s.

By that time we may have found a cheaper option who is just as good, if not better. Lots of ifs.

We also don't have a lot of top prospects in the organization right now, and if we can get a good haul for Mancini, that will really help speed up the rebuild time. Sure prospects are risky, but I think acquiring prospects who will be in line for the majors once we're competitive again will be much better for our future than hanging onto a superstar on a terrible team. And since this is year 1 of the rebuild, I think it would be foolish to make anyone on the team untouchable.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it's why I believe we should at least entertain trade offers for Mancini. Maybe hang onto him for another year.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I guess I should add that I would definitely like it if Mancini sticks around.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
The money he will likely get and the return from a trade are what I'm thinking about. He'll be a free agent in 2023, according to baseball reference. Assuming a successful rebuild will take about 4-5 years, and considering 2019 as year 1, Mancini's gonna be stuck on a rebuilding team for most of his time here. Right as we're about to be good, he's going to command a big contract. Maybe Elias and ownership will be willing to pay him that much, but there's also the concern about giving him a contract that will last into his late 30s.

By that time we may have found a cheaper option who is just as good, if not better. Lots of ifs.

We also don't have a lot of top prospects in the organization right now, and if we can get a good haul for Mancini, that will really help speed up the rebuild time. Sure prospects are risky, but I think acquiring prospects who will be in line for the majors once we're competitive again will be much better for our future than hanging onto a superstar on a terrible team. And since this is year 1 of the rebuild, I think it would be foolish to make anyone on the team untouchable.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it's why I believe we should at least entertain trade offers for Mancini. Maybe hang onto him for another year.

Yeah we do have a similar guy in Mountcastle who is doing well in Norfolk. We have lots of guys in that 1B DH role right now(Mancini plays outfield but he is best at 1B or DH). Guess we will have to see what we are offered

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Welcome aboard Adley!

Now we won't see him for 3 years because MLB has yet to figure out how to fast track rookies similar to NFL & NBA. This is the one thing I hate most about MLB, you don't see draft prospects for a few years instead of right away. MLB needs to find a way to have these prospects be MLB ready from the get go instead of having to spend time in the minors. It would speed up rebuilding teams and make teams competitive faster.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Now we won't see him for 3 years because MLB has yet to figure out how to fast track rookies similar to NFL & NBA. This is the one thing I hate most about MLB, you don't see draft prospects for a few years instead of right away. MLB needs to find a way to have these prospects be MLB ready from the get go instead of having to spend time in the minors. It would speed up rebuilding teams and make teams competitive faster.
I don't really know how that would work. Baseball is a pretty tough sport, so I don't know if they could do anything to speed up the development process.