• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 Baltimore Orioles

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I hope we get him signed quickly
Should be able to get Rutschman signed for under the slot value(as is almost always the case for #1 overall), our second round pick may be a bit more difficult as he will likely be over the slot amount but should be able to make it work.

Decent explanation for draft signing process for those unfamiliar with the process. Article is a few years old but structure is largely the same with some slightly higher numbers now vs then.
https://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/6/26/4463258/MLB-draft-slotting-bonus-pools-penalties

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Orioles & Rangers are stuck in a 1-1 tie at the bottom of the 12th. Rangers struck first with their only run in the first, then Richie Martin with a home run to tie the game at 1-1.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
That's good to hear. I've never been too worried about him signing, though. Knock on wood, I think the only thing that would prevent him from signing would be another Brady Aiken situation.
Aiken was a high school player while Rutschman is a college junior. I mean Rutschman could always go back to school for his senior year but he doesn't have a ton of leverage and would have even less if he decided to do that(seniors have no leverage) so not too much of a concern to get him signed but still good to hear

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Aiken was a high school player while Rutschman is a college junior. I mean Rutschman could always go back to school for his senior year but he doesn't have a ton of leverage and would have even less if he decided to do that(seniors have no leverage) so not too much of a concern to get him signed but still good to hear
Aiken had a medical issue and the Astros tried to save money on him. I think they had an agreement in place before he took the physical.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm just looking at previous season records of the Astros when Elias was there and how long it took for them to be a contender and eventually win the World Series. I just hope the Astros model of becoming a winner works out here in Baltimore.

2011: 56-106 (Director of Amateur Scouting)
2012: 55-107
2013: 51-111
2014: 70-92
2015: 86-76(Won AL Wild Card vs Yankees, lost ALDS to Royals)
2016: 84-78 (Promoted to Assistant General Manager)
2017: 101-61 (World Series Champions)

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm just looking at previous season records of the Astros when Elias was there and how long it took for them to be a contender and eventually win the World Series. I just hope the Astros model of becoming a winner works out here in Baltimore.

2011: 56-106 (Director of Amateur Scouting)
2012: 55-107
2013: 51-111
2014: 70-92
2015: 86-76(Won AL Wild Card vs Yankees, lost ALDS to Royals)
2016: 84-78 (Promoted to Assistant General Manager)
2017: 101-61 (World Series Champions)
Elias arrived in Houston at the end of the 2011 season, so we can save a year there. ^_^

On another note, people should check out Astroball by Ben Reiter. Really good book about what Luhnow, Elias, and Sig did in Houston and one of the reasons I'm so excited for the future. It may or may not happen in the same manner for us, but something to hope for while we're in the beginning of the rebuild.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Elias arrived in Houston at the end of the 2011 season, so we can save a year there. ^_^

On another note, people should check out Astroball by Ben Reiter. Really good book about what Luhnow, Elias, and Sig did in Houston and one of the reasons I'm so excited for the future. It may or may not happen in the same manner for us, but something to hope for while we're in the beginning of the rebuild.
Yeah we could lose every single game the rest of the way this year and it wouldn't be as bad as last year IMO, actual long term hope and no pressure to win is kinda nice

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Yankees just acquired Edwin Encarnación who leads the AL in Home Runs from the Seattle Mariners. The Mariners are also in tank mode and traded him away for 19 year old Juan Then. I know Edwin is a lot older than Trey but I really hope we don't hear anything similar in regards to him. I want this team to use Trey as a center piece of this rebuild and also I'd like some security in knowing if I buy his jersey that he'll be an Oriole for a long time.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/6...rk-yankees-edwin-encarnacion-seattle-mariners