• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DUMP THREAD V.9: SZN OVER

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
My thoughts are with the parents of all those children in Texas. I just can't imagine sending a child to school only for this to happen.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Waiting for the NFL to make a statement on Roe vs Wade lol... all these players coming out suddenly care about Women but none of them spoke out against Deshaun Watson. Goodell making a statement about this would be icing on the cake considering how Dan Snyder treated Women and the lengths the NFL went to in order to protect Snyder... IE fire a guy who wasn't even employed by the team at all at any point.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Waiting for the NFL to make a statement on Roe vs Wade lol... all these players coming out suddenly care about Women but none of them spoke out against Deshaun Watson. Goodell making a statement about this would be icing on the cake considering how Dan Snyder treated Women and the lengths the NFL went to in order to protect Snyder... IE fire a guy who wasn't even employed by the team at all at any point.
I think the roe vs wade is a very different situation… well actually it is!!

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad
The nfl should not be making any statements on roe v wade
Agree but the NFL can't help themselves in these kinds of situations.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I think the roe vs wade is a very different situation… well actually it is!!

The nfl should not be making any statements on roe v wade

The NFL hasn't said anything officially, only the NBA so far. I've seen players speak out against it, seen celebrities and people say how angry they are and just repeat what the fear mongering media is saying. They are so misinformed, that's what makes no sense.

These players spout off without reading facts. All this does is remove the federal government from the equation, and gives power back to the states to make their own laws. States do have trigger laws that take affect with Roe vs Wade gone, but now that states have the power to do what's right, the state leaders can now update those laws to 2022 standards based on what's best for their state.

For people, celebrities, athletes, and politicians to be screaming mad and spread misinformaton is not helping things. Rights aren't being taken away, no Women won't have to move to another state to get an abortion.

That just means State and Local elections are more important than ever before, if people's views on abortion don't align with their state politicians, that's what elections are for. If you ask me, now that the Supreme Court removed the Federal Government from the equation, let's have a discussion to remove State Power so no form of government, federal or state can tell someone what they can or can't do with their body.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
The NFL hasn't said anything officially, only the NBA so far. I've seen players speak out against it, seen celebrities and people say how angry they are and just repeat what the fear mongering media is saying. They are so misinformed, that's what makes no sense.

These players spout off without reading facts. All this does is remove the federal government from the equation, and gives power back to the states to make their own laws. States do have trigger laws that take affect with Roe vs Wade gone, but now that states have the power to do what's right, the state leaders can now update those laws to 2022 standards based on what's best for their state.

For people, celebrities, athletes, and politicians to be screaming mad and spread misinformaton is not helping things. Rights aren't being taken away, no Women won't have to move to another state to get an abortion.

That just means State and Local elections are more important than ever before, if people's views on abortion don't align with their state politicians, that's what elections are for. If you ask me, now that the Supreme Court removed the Federal Government from the equation, let's have a discussion to remove State Power so no form of government, federal or state can tell someone what they can or can't do with their body.
Correct!

Problem is that any issue regarding rights has become such an echo-chamber in the media that whoever says things the most, that pov becomes the news. The other problem is that the NFL and celeb's and celeb-athletes don't consider that there might be a good segment of their fan base who - in this case are pro-life - and might be alienated by the constant cries of unfairness or violation or support for a view wihich opposes their own.

And it works in reverse too, so the old bar philosophy of no talk of religion or politics in the bar should be carefully considered by celebs and companies alike. You don't always need to comment on topical societal issues. This could easily backfire on the NFL or anyone when suddenly the show your boobs for women's rights instigates the bible beaters into gameday protests of showing revolting pictures of aborted babies too. It's the whole Colin Kapernick vs. the Police and Armed forces all over again, but with pick the issue.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

im going to put this this way because even from afar in a different country this makes me angry

an evangelical christian death cult in a country that supposedly has a separated church and state, has just allowed individual states to impose their religion on the entire populations of their states if they so choose - this is part of a concerted strategy to role back civil rights for multiple groups

you say this gives those states with trigger laws the opportunity to update those laws to 2022 - but they won't, because they don't want to update the laws to 2022, they want to take your society back to the 1950s

and it makes me even more angry because this stuff is the blueprint that the ruling party in my country is following

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Correct!

Problem is that any issue regarding rights has become such an echo-chamber in the media that whoever says things the most, that pov becomes the news. The other problem is that the NFL and celeb's and celeb-athletes don't consider that there might be a good segment of their fan base who - in this case are pro-life - and might be alienated by the constant cries of unfairness or violation or support for a view wihich opposes their own.

And it works in reverse too, so the old bar philosophy of no talk of religion or politics in the bar should be carefully considered by celebs and companies alike. You don't always need to comment on topical societal issues. This could easily backfire on the NFL or anyone when suddenly the show your boobs for women's rights instigates the bible beaters into gameday protests of showing revolting pictures of aborted babies too. It's the whole Colin Kapernick vs. the Police and Armed forces all over again, but with pick the issue.

the only people who ever think you shouldnt talk religion or politics are those whose rights aren't being attacked by religion or politics

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
im going to put this this way because even from afar in a different country this makes me angry

an evangelical christian death cult in a country that supposedly has a separated church and state, has just allowed individual states to impose their religion on the entire populations of their states if they so choose - this is part of a concerted strategy to role back civil rights for multiple groups

you say this gives those states with trigger laws the opportunity to update those laws to 2022 - but they won't, because they don't want to update the laws to 2022, they want to take your society back to the 1950s

and it makes me even more angry because this stuff is the blueprint that the ruling party in my country is following

What country do you live in?

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
the only people who ever think you shouldnt talk religion or politics are those whose rights aren't being attacked by religion or politics
Well, you're not wrong, but you're not exactly right either. There are plenty of times and places where religious and political discussions are appropriate, but in a bar where you just want to chill and unwind from the craziness of the world some topics are off-limits. When sports and entertainment get in the business of politics and religion they cease to be fun and escapist endeavors from a world of seriousness, work, and responsibilities... and because they are so hot button-ish, they tend to promote violence from nutjobs and kookoos that can't really discuss something without feeling they've won an argument.

And what JO 75 is accurate. For more than 4 decades the country has relied upon "judicial legislation" in this issue that was created in the courts and "codified" in the US Supreme Court with the Roe v. Wade and trimester reasoning. There have been many opportunities over these 40 years where it could have been legislated in the proper place, namely either States or Federally if the judicial remedy wasn't there. I've supported for years the Constitutional Amendment approach. I want it taken out of political discussion and I don't think it's appropriate for it to be legal or not from state to state. The Federal Govt should look at what the states do with this, find one that is reasonable, and then work in a bipartisan way to make that the law of the land thru Constitutional Amendment. It will be a tough road, but this country is mostly pro choice.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
but that's exactly my point - you see those spaces as somewhere you can escape because you have that privilege that you get to be able to tune out those things because you can go to a place and not have any of it matter

but marginalised groups don't have that privilege to switch off

and that last point is exactly the point i was making originally in the post before the one you quoted - you've got a minority of religious zealots asserting their views on the majority... you're also right that 4 decades of complacency have led to this too... but i dont see a future of bipartisanship in your country as a reasonable reality

we're seeing similar things in parliament in the UK where things that should have been "codified" into law in terms of the ways in which parliamentarians weren't because there were unwritten rules that everyone was supposed to follow... but we've now got a government that doesn't follow those rules but don't have the mechanisms legally to prevent them from even breaking international law which they've tried to do now at least twice in the last few years
It sounds like what you're saying is because everyone can't enjoy something that no one should be able to. Well, I fundamentally disagree with that. I learned long ago that I can empathize and be sympathetic, but that I can't fix the world. I can make good decisions for myself and family and I think that entitles me to some enjoyment of life and the ability to do basically what I desire. I wish everyone had that. But I'm not going to eat mutton my whole life because someone down my street or on the other side of town can't afford a porterhouse.

I hope you're wrong about bipartisanship. I think its the only way, but it's going to be painful getting there. People, in general, are becoming too radicalized to this or that, nowadays. Both sides are going to have to learn that you don't get what you desire by shouting rhymes into a bull-horn at your opponents, but rather by calm discourse where you find what parties agree upon first and then working toward finding a workable middle ground. The re-learning of that is what is going to be painful. It's going to take a while. Compromise and understanding is sorely lacking.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
but that's exactly my point - you see those spaces as somewhere you can escape because you have that privilege that you get to be able to tune out those things because you can go to a place and not have any of it matter

but marginalised groups don't have that privilege to switch off

and that last point is exactly the point i was making originally in the post before the one you quoted - you've got a minority of religious zealots asserting their views on the majority... you're also right that 4 decades of complacency have led to this too... but i dont see a future of bipartisanship in your country as a reasonable reality

we're seeing similar things in parliament in the UK where things that should have been "codified" into law in terms of the ways in which parliamentarians weren't because there were unwritten rules that everyone was supposed to follow... but we've now got a government that doesn't follow those rules but don't have the mechanisms legally to prevent them from even breaking international law which they've tried to do now at least twice in the last few years

”an evangelical Christian death cult” give me a break! You are such an over the top leftist! It is that kind of talk that puts such a divide between people. Have some damn respect!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It sounds like what you're saying is because everyone can't enjoy something that no one should be able to. Well, I fundamentally disagree with that. I learned long ago that I can empathize and be sympathetic, but that I can't fix the world. I can make good decisions for myself and family and I think that entitles me to some enjoyment of life and the ability to do basically what I desire. I wish everyone had that. But I'm not going to eat mutton my whole life because someone down my street or on the other side of town can't afford a porterhouse.

I hope you're wrong about bipartisanship. I think its the only way, but it's going to be painful getting there. People, in general, are becoming too radicalized to this or that, nowadays. Both sides are going to have to learn that you don't get what you desire by shouting rhymes into a bull-horn at your opponents, but rather by calm discourse where you find what parties agree upon first and then working toward finding a workable middle ground. The re-learning of that is what is going to be painful. It's going to take a while. Compromise and understanding is sorely lacking.

no one's saying you can't enjoy those things still
i'm just saying that it's a privileged view to be able to look at "the bar" and "sports" as a non-political venue

politics and religion has always been there...

you're perfectly welcome to ignore and not discuss those things in those places yourself, but for others they are political places and spaces

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Just because they're professional football players, doesn't mean they're well informed - however what they don't realize is that their misinformed statements carry more weight and spread faster. I wish in general people would spend more time hearing both sides of each point instead of blindly following a side and be open to revise their opinion

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
no one's saying you can't enjoy those things still
i'm just saying that it's a privileged view to be able to look at "the bar" and "sports" as a non-political venue

politics and religion has always been there...

you're perfectly welcome to ignore and not discuss those things in those places yourself, but for others they are political places and spaces
Gee, thanks! lol