• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
In theory, that would be great but I think, in practice, even in a passing game script, every play would still be designed to go to Andrews and/or OBJ, making relatively easy to stop no matter who's at WR.

Basically, what I was saying is that Roman needs to evolve to involve more than 2 pass catchers in his plans before we can get over the playoff hurdle.
Ehh, not sold.
For starters, not convinced it's really a Roman thing. I think you'd struggle to look around the league and find teams that have a large distribution of target share beyond the top two guys on a team. Heck, some teams have one person dominating targets and then a wider distribution among the remaining group. Just don't see many quality passing attacks that have a wider spread among 3,4,5 guys.
Second, we've got plenty of examples (especially in the Tampa game) where Lamar simply isn't going through his progressions well enough and targeting players he shouldn't be. Roman isn't drawing up route concepts that can only lead to throwing to one player in most instances. There's multiple options on just about every pass concept. Not all of them are greatly designed concepts, but it certainly doesn't mean Lamar has to throw it specifically to who the first read in the progression is.
So the distribution of targets is going to be, naturally, be influenced by who Lamar decides to throw the ball to.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It would have been expensive to trade for one of the WRs and hard to fit into this year's salary cap but definitely not impossible.
Considering the injury situation since the Bills game and more trouble in following weeks, this borders on negligence on EDC's part.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rashod officially enters into the conversation as another possible EDC bust based on availability. 17 games in two years is not it

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
It would have been expensive to trade for one of the WRs and hard to fit into this year's salary cap but definitely not impossible.
Considering the injury situation since the Bills game and more trouble in following weeks, this borders on negligence on EDC's part.
Tbh im not even mad at edc.. yea offseason he shouldve gotten us a wr, but right now… our defense has more potential than our offense could ever have regardless of who we wouldve gotten at the wr position.. besides, lamar is an extra weapon himself. lamar playing hero ball with our defense playing lights out will be a good playoff story

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well couple things:
1. With Bateman out, OBJ would probably see a large chunk of Bateman's targets, with Duvernay getting his usual workload.
2. Theoretically, target distributions would change if you add more talent. i.e. Andrews and Bateman see collectively less targets.
3. OBJ would largely be a bet on the playoffs or against top teams, when you have more "negative" game scripts, i.e. can't just run the ball on everybody and control the clock.

End of day, he's a rental for half a season. Don't see scenarios where he would a) want to sign a multi-year deal right now and b) where we could really be able to do accurately price him for a multi-year deal.
Shit bateman wasnt getting any targets to begin with. I think he had like 10 in 4 games.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Tbh im not even mad at edc.. yea offseason he shouldve gotten us a wr, but right now… our defense has more potential than our offense could ever have regardless of who we wouldve gotten at the wr position.. besides, lamar is an extra weapon himself. lamar playing hero ball with our defense playing lights out will be a good playoff story
He needs backs to play hero ball and they are both injured again.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the Lamar non extension has been a problem and trading for a WR without a voidable year was a hinderance.

Would it be great to have an AJ Brown on this team, absolutely, but AJ Brown on the Ravens wouldn't be performing like AJ Brown on the Eagles. He'd probably be getting the same targets he used to get on the Titans, which is still good.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
2021 and 2022 is too soon to tell and mostly look pretty good, especially if PQ continues his rise.

Marquise Browns was good and turned into a potentially top Center for the next decade.
Ben Powers is a starter and doing pretty well this year.

Queen
JK Dobbins
Madubuike
Duvernay
also good role players in Broderick Washington and Malik Harrison who is improving and Geno Stone

Bateman
Oweh
Cleveland is too soon to tell
This class is too soon to tell

Hamilton
Linderbaum
Ojabo
Jones
Faalele
Likely
Stout
Pepe

Obviously this class is too soon to tell but I'd say his drafting is has been more than fine. I'd agree that the 2019 class was a bit lacking, but you can't hit on everything
Since posting this in a few weeks ago, this is starting to look even better.

2020 has turned into an excellent draft
1. Queen has had an extremely good 6 weeks.
2. Madubuike is having an extremely good year and we will only hope to be able to extend him at the end of 2023
3. Duvernay is doing much better than expected
4. Broderick Washington is having a very good year and turning into a very good role player
5. Malik Harrison is turning into good depth this season
6. Geno Stone has been very good and grades out at 80.5 (79.5 in coverage through 9 weeks) and easily our best 7th round pick in franchise history.

2021 is too soon to tell (not a great class but the top two picks could save this class)
1. Bateman has had flashes of being a true number 1, but we won't be able to see it until next season
2. Oweh has been a disappointment this year but only due to how he has been used due to the lack of depth at edge. He's been playing better than people realize, they just aren't translating into sacks. I'll let @rossihunter2 add a bit to this statement.
3. Cleveland - could be decent as a right guard of the future, but again it's too soon to tell

2022 looks like a great class, but it's too soon to tell
1. Hamilton is starting to show why we picked him at 14 and could be a stud
2. Linderbaum is already a top 5 center in the league and could very well be a 10 year all pro
3. Ojabo -- will soon be able to play his first game
4. Jones -- has absolutely had an impact in filling in for Pierce as a run stopper and I'm waiting to see more pressures from him, which should come
5. Faalele -- very surprised he was able to give us some stability at left tackle after never playing the position and at right tackle during a time of need. Really looking forward to him becoming a long term right tackle in a couple years or even next year if the Ravens don't keep Moses.
6. Likely -- Always liked this pick, but damn does he have a lot of potential.
7. Stout -- has been pretty good and should get better.
8. Pepe -- has been solid as a #3 CB and should only get better. He has some dog in him.
9. Kolar -- haven't had a chance to see him play yet, but someone had to be the first TE chosen for Likely to be a stud. It's the Ravens rule

2nd and 5th round picks --- Roquan Smith - 'nuff said

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see these classes come along.

Last edited:

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Since posting this in a few weeks ago, this is starting to look even better.

2020 has turned into an excellent draft
1. Queen has had an extremely good 6 weeks.
2. Madubuike is having an extremely good year and we will only hope to be able to extend him at the end of 2023
3. Duvernay is doing much better than expected
4. Broderick Washington is having a very good year and turning into a very good role player
5. Malik Harrison is turning into good depth this season
6. Geno Stone has been very good and grades out at 80.5 (79.5 in coverage through 9 weeks) and easily our best 7th round pick in franchise history.

2021 is too soon to tell (not a great class but the top two picks could save this class)
1. Bateman has had flashes of being a true number 1, but we won't be able to see it until next season
2. Oweh has been a disappointment this year but only due to how he has been used due to the lack of depth at edge. He's been playing better than people realize, they just aren't translating into sacks. I'll let @rossihunter2 add a bit to this statement.
3. Cleveland - could be decent as a right guard of the future, but again it's too soon to tell

2022 looks like a great class, but it's too soon to tell
1. Hamilton is starting to show why we picked him at 14 and could be a stud
2. Linderbaum is already a top 5 center in the league and could very well be a 10 year all pro
3. Ojabo -- will soon be able to play his first game
4. Jones -- has absolutely had an impact in filling in for Pierce as a run stopper and I'm waiting to see more pressures from him, which should come
5. Faalele -- very surprised he was able to give us some stability at left tackle after never playing the position and at right tackle during a time of need. Really looking forward to him becoming a long term right tackle in a couple years or even next year if the Ravens don't keep Moses.
6. Likely -- Always liked this pick, but damn does he have a lot of potential.
7. Stout -- has been pretty good and should get better.
8. Pepe -- has been solid as a #3 CB and should only get better. He has some dog in him.
9. Kolar -- haven't had a chance to see him play yet, but someone had to be the first TE chosen for Likely to be a stud. It's the Ravens rule

2nd and 5th round picks --- Roquan Smith - 'nuff said

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see these classes come along.
Yeah since the original post which was factual at the time, the big shout outs go to Queen, Washington, and Stone.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Washington was one of @Edgar’s favourite gems of that class and he’s been everything we might have hoped he’d be - been really impressed especially as he was someone I just hadn’t come across

Reminds me of Lawrence Guy. Big reason why our d line is successful this year.

Reactions: cdp

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I would think that one of 2 things need to happen.

1) We keep Harbs and EDC needs to be a part of the coaching hiring process so that they have aligned vision on the team. This leads to the removal of at least Roman. I'd also like to see MM gone personally.

2) We clean house on Harbs, Roman, and MM. Then we have EDC bring in the guy he believes is best suited to running the team that EDC envisions and can see happening in the next set of years.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
EDC obviously deserves scrutiny for not adequately addressing WR and RB. However, I have confidence that he will be able to right the ship in the draft. If not, well......maybe the seat's temperature needs to get a lot warmer then.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I would think that one of 2 things need to happen.

1) We keep Harbs and EDC needs to be a part of the coaching hiring process so that they have aligned vision on the team. This leads to the removal of at least Roman. I'd also like to see MM gone personally.

2) We clean house on Harbs, Roman, and MM. Then we have EDC bring in the guy he believes is best suited to running the team that EDC envisions and can see happening in the next set of years.

I would be stunned if Roman's back
I think MM is only gone if we do a proper clean-out

I think Harbs is only gone if he wants to... he's a young 60 though and I dont think his appetite has gone, so if he's leaving then it's got to be related to the emotional turmoil of the last couple of years

josina anderson did tweet this earlier in the season:

she did clarify that it's not necessarily of the 3 specific longest-tenured HCs but these are the only HCs who will have been with their organisations at least a decade: BB, Tomlin, Harbs, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid

and then add in Rivera who's been, without a break, and with some poor health at times, a HC for 12 years (just across 2 different teams)

not sure anyone outside of those 6 fits those criteria - maybe Mike McCarthy but he did have a 2 year break between the GB and Cowboys jobs and is younger than Harbs

my guess is BB or Rivera based on the fact that they're both seemingly not signed long-term right now

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

I think Harbs is only gone if he wants to... he's a young 60 though and I dont think his appetite has gone, so if he's leaving then it's got to be related to the emotional turmoil of the last couple of years

she did clarify that it's not necessarily of the 3 specific longest-tenured HCs but these are the only HCs who will have been with their organisations at least a decade: BB, Tomlin, Harbs, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid

and then add in Rivera who's been, without a break, and with some poor health at times, a HC for 12 years (just across 2 different teams)

not sure anyone outside of those 6 fits those criteria - maybe Mike McCarthy but he did have a 2 year break between the GB and Cowboys jobs and is younger than Harbs

my guess is BB or Rivera based on the fact that they're both seemingly not signed long-term right now

Moving on from Harbs would not be because he's bad. It would be the same reason for moving on from Roman. We've seen a lot of them and while they're not bad, they've not gotten us to where we need to go. They're both older and it's time to infuse some youth and new ideas specifically offensive ideas.

Agree that if Harbs is retained and wants to stay, MM is retained. However, if we move on from Harbs, I see absolutely zero reason to retain MM.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I'm not sure BB is going to retire before breaking Don Shulas record, which is in sight.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Moving on from Harbs would not be because he's bad. It would be the same reason for moving on from Roman. We've seen a lot of them and while they're not bad, they've not gotten us to where we need to go. They're both older and it's time to infuse some youth and new ideas specifically offensive ideas.

Agree that if Harbs is retained and wants to stay, MM is retained. However, if we move on from Harbs, I see absolutely zero reason to retain MM.
I don't think they'll move off Harbs unless a) we tank the rest of the year and miss the playoffs entirely or b) Lamar makes some sort of power play and forces sweeping changes at multiple levels. Even then, I think Steve would side with John and just let Lamar leave.

Agree with others on Roman. Going to take a very deep run and high offensive output for the next month in order for Roman to keep his job next year.