• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Eric DeCosta's best move of the year was easily firing Marty. I think it was EDC, not Harbaugh.

Reactions: cdp

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Eric DeCosta's best move of the year was easily firing Marty. I think it was EDC, not Harbaugh.

If so.. blessed that man.
He probably told harbs, you want this extension? He gotta go. Lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I just thought it would be nice to have a designated thread where we could discuss the GM.

I'm not going to make a big deal here right now, but I think it's worth pointing out that we should look back after the season and really assess how things went from how we built our team.

WR and pass rusher have been an absolute nightmare situation so far.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just thought it would be nice to have a designated thread where we could discuss the GM.

I'm not going to make a big deal here right now, but I think it's worth pointing out that we should look back after the season and really assess how things went from how we built our team.

WR and pass rusher have been an absolute nightmare situation so far.

I know the positive willy willy's of the board will be positive about how EDC has been doing, but I think he's been below average and definitely disappointing in his tenure so far.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I know the positive willy willy's of the board will be positive about how EDC has been doing, but I think he's been below average and definitely disappointing in his tenure so far.
I think he's probably been very average. Some drafts have been completely money, some have been really blegh. He's made some really good offseason moves some have been very blegh. He's made some really good in season moves others that were blegh.

He needs to get more consistent as does every part of the team. And also stop ignoring entire position groups of need especially when they're at instrumental spots.

marklar

Pro Bowler
What worries me is that EDC has restructured every possible contract now for two straight years, which should come back to bite us down the road.
I realize that the covid cap decrease and the insane amount of injuries messed up the plans a lot, but I would have preferred a more frugal FA approach even if it lead to fewer wins so we don't end up in complete cap hell in a year or two
...but I don't think many around here agree with me based on the calls for more FAs ^_^

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Roster construction leaves a lot to be desired. People keep saying that we gave Lamar two first round WRs, but that doesn't really matter if they've both been relatively average/solid at best plus the depth is fucking atrocious. I don't even want to get started on the pass rush/LB situations.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Queen was a running back who had just 1 year as a starter on LSU.

Oweh had 1 sack to his name.

Hollywood was coming off injury.

Ojabo over Pickens might be the nail in the coffin for me. The more I look back and examine his picks, the more I hate on the dude

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What worries me is that EDC has restructured every possible contract now for two straight years, which should come back to bite us down the road.
I realize that the covid cap decrease and the insane amount of injuries messed up the plans a lot, but I would have preferred a more frugal FA approach even if it lead to fewer wins so we don't end up in complete cap hell in a year or two
...but I don't think many around here agree with me based on the calls for more FAs ^_^
None of the restructures we did are going to put us in cap hell. Not even close. They're mostly for core players who will be here awhile and play well for awhile, and none of them are for significant $.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here would be my take:
1. I kind of yawn about the whole WR thing, mostly because he's doing precisely what fans were clamoring for about a decade to happen. He's drafting them and lots of them, and he's using high picks to do it.
If they don't pan out, so be it. You really can't get WR upgrades through FA anymore. Best guys in that class for guys like Golladay, ARob, etc., and I don't think anybody is losing sleep over not signing those guys.
They need to continue to take more swings in the draft, and I think they will. You're going to have a pretty hard time convincing me or any rational person that if you draft like 7-8 receivers over a 5 year period, many of which are in days 1 and two, and none of them are good, that its purely a GM problem. That's pretty much impossible. Coaching is a problem there, talent development is a problem, and players not playing well is a problem (and yes, that includes the QB).

If Eric like does nothing to address WR this offseason, then I'll get on the bandwagon. But I think a lot of the WR talk is mostly for show and not for dough.

2. I think drafting and developing linebackers, both outside and inside, is the weakest area by far. We used to be able to get guys off scrap heaps, especially at inside linebacker, and turn them into competent players. Now it seems like the only way we can get a pass rush is to sign guys off the scrap heap and rotate a bunch of them. Some of that is coaching philosophy, but linebackers during EDC's timeframe hasn't been great at all.

Honestly those are the only two position groups I have faults with. Everything else has at least been adequate. Think its fair to complain about a lack of sort of "generational" talents acquired in the draft, i.e. haven't seen any Ray's, Ed's, Suggs or even like Ngata-level players being drafted in a long time.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Roster construction leaves a lot to be desired. People keep saying that we gave Lamar two first round WRs, but that doesn't really matter if they've both been relatively average/solid at best plus the depth is fucking atrocious. I don't even want to get started on the pass rush/LB situations.
I guess it goes back to WHY are they average/solid at best? Is that because that's who they are as players? Or is it because they're not being used properly, not being developed properly by either coaches or the QB, etc.?

That's why these concepts I kind of just shrug my shoulder at. He's injured now, but I'm pretty sure Hollywood is going to have a fairly productive career when he's on the field playing for ARZ and anybody else. Will he ever be Adams? of course not, but nobody thought he'd be when he was drafted, either.

If EDC is terrible because of not addressing WR in one draft, where do you rank Ozzie lol.

Once Bowser and Ojabo are back our pass rush is pretty good, do don't really think that's a valid criticism. Our Oline is much better after 2 years of moves.

Can't fix everything, think he has done a pretty good job, sure he could have done better. WR, ILB, & RB are positions he needs to address.