• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Jaylon Ferguson and Miles Boykin

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
In 2015 the only pick i liked was maxx and my 2nd favorite was za'darius

as underwhelming as maxx was for us, those were the two best picks

hated the perriman pick
hated the carl davis pick
rip tray walker
Buck allen was meh ( just as I said he was)
I laughed about robert Myers and behold..

Darren waller was a pick i was only intrigued about because of his athletic profile.

Last year i said Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown were our two best picks.

This year I only see Hollywood Brown being a star for us.
Not a fan of Justice Hill
Not a fan of Jaylon
Boykin MIGHT end up being something
Iman marshall is a wildcard but at this point the value is fine
Ben Powers might overachieve. If I'm wrong about a pick, it'll likely be this one.
Mack is probably at best going to be a solid if unspectacular NT ala andrew billings.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Last years draft was a better one.

De'Shon Elliot was my 3rd favorite pick and i think he's going to be really good.

Kenny Young is kinda like the Alex Lewis of ILBS. our FO think he's better than he actually is

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In 2015 the only pick i liked was maxx and my 2nd favorite was za'darius

as underwhelming as maxx was for us, those were the two best picks

hated the perriman pick
hated the carl davis pick
rip tray walker
Buck allen was meh ( just as I said he was)
I laughed about robert Myers and behold..

Darren waller was a pick i was only intrigued about because of his athletic profile.

Last year i said Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown were our two best picks.

This year I only see Hollywood Brown being a star for us.
Not a fan of Justice Hill
Not a fan of Jaylon
Boykin MIGHT end up being something
Iman marshall is a wildcard but at this point the value is fine
Ben Powers might overachieve. If I'm wrong about a pick, it'll likely be this one.
Mack is probably at best going to be a solid if unspectacular NT ala andrew billings.
What is it about Mack that you don’t like... he has a natural NT skill set but has a get off like an elite 3tech. He may only be a NT but he’s got a very high ceiling for a NT because of one crazily overlooked trait.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not saying i dont like Mack, I just don't think he's going to be a steal if you're expecting anything other than a solid rotational piece.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Comparing Turd to Judon is literally apples to Oranges, I've had the thought for awhile. Turd is more of a ZDS mold pass rusher... Which holds a lot of value on this defense. Make no mistake, he's not Suggs' replacement, because you can't replace Suggs.

Turd is more polished, and was just plain better than Smith coming out of school. If we try to force Turd to be a full time edge guy rather than platoon him, he's going to suffer. But if we use Ferguson correctly, he'll be a key contributor, which in the third round is a good get.

Judon is replaceable, sorry. He's overrated here. I'd sign Ansah and trade Judon while we still can.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Comparing Turd to Judon is literally apples to Oranges, I've had the thought for awhile. Turd is more of a ZDS mold pass rusher... Which holds a lot of value on this defense. Make no mistake, he's not Suggs' replacement, because you can't replace Suggs.

Turd is more polished, and was just plain better than Smith coming out of school. If we try to force Turd to be a full time edge guy rather than platoon him, he's going to suffer. But if we use Ferguson correctly, he'll be a key contributor, which in the third round is a good get.

Judon is replaceable, sorry. He's overrated here. I'd sign Ansah and trade Judon while we still can.

oh i agree with you. I think if Harbaugh wasn't such a stubborn ass, tim williams could do really well. Heck in the time he played he was impressive.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
funny how we gave perriman all the time in the world to show he wasn't a bust that all of us knew he was coming out and yet tim williams is treated like he's just lucky to be there.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
this draft is filled with boom/bust.

There is a reason why teams passed on Ferguson.There is a reason why PFF ranked him 164 on their big board.
I've watched all his snaps vs FAU just now and have come away underwhelmed

lots of his plays/stats come from gimmes. Reminds me of Elams interceptions at florida, they were nothing to do with talent..just walked into them.

I'd have traded up for chase W. You're getting a very high floor there at least.
What did you see in Ferguson vs. FAU specifically that left you underwhelmed?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
What did you see in Ferguson vs. FAU specifically that left you underwhelmed?

some bad play recognition and a few times he was made a fool out of. I just watch him and I see much of what i saw on the 1 on 1's at the senior bowl transpiring.

He will need lots of reps vs stanley and brown. brown cannot be bullrushed so it would be interesting to see how he progresses in camp

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
funny how we gave perriman all the time in the world to show he wasn't a bust that all of us knew he was coming out and yet tim williams is treated like he's just lucky to be there.

Every first round pick is going to get special treatment than other picks outside of the first round. First round player cost more and money talks. I think Perriman had all the potential to be a good or better player for The Ravens but the guy just had it tough getting it going in training camp due to injuries until it was too late.

When it comes to Tim Williams the guy just needs to probably just be more focus and take his job more seriously. The talent is there but not even Bill Belicheck going to put you out on the field if you not showing what the coaching staff need to see and etc.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
some bad play recognition and a few times he was made a fool out of. I just watch him and I see much of what i saw on the 1 on 1's at the senior bowl transpiring.

He will need lots of reps vs stanley and brown. brown cannot be bullrushed so it would be interesting to see how he progresses in camp
I didn't see the senior Bowl stuff so I'll need to watch that. There is a lot of good stuff throughout vs. FAU.
a lot of nice stuff with his hands, Rush from 2 and 3 point...good speed off the line...bend. violent disengage with push pull.. great play recognition of a screen that got him earlier in the game showing he's processing and learning in game. some nice edge work vs. run. a rush that closes the door on 4th down. a rush or two inside vs. guards. Theres some stuff.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't see the senior Bowl stuff so I'll need to watch that. There is a lot of good stuff throughout vs. FAU.
a lot of nice stuff with his hands, Rush from 2 and 3 point...good speed off the line...bend. violent disengage with push pull.. great play recognition of a screen that got him earlier in the game showing he's processing and learning in game. some nice edge work vs. run. a rush that closes the door on 4th down. a rush or two inside vs. guards. Theres some stuff.

when i saw `khalil Mack at buffalo ( small school etc) I was like wow, this guy is a no brainer. he brought it every play, run and pass. Nothing went by him. He looked powerful and had bend. It was a no brainer that this guy was legit. Heck he had 100 tackles in his junior and senior year.

With ferguson, if you're hoping for a Za'Darius or judon caliber player then yes..
if you're hoping for a consisent 10 sack a year guy

nope. Unless he has untapped athletic potential.

Now if he get's a bit more bend...we could be talking tamba hali. That is his ceiling if he can improve his bend because his hand work is elite and he does have the right size and length.

this will come down to coaching and player determination

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is the pick i hope more than I ever hoped i'm wrong about btw.

because he does have something, my question is the translation into the pro's. This isn't elam or perriman where i didn't see anything..i just need ferguson to take his flaws very seriously and work on them relentlessly.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Maybe Judon is replaceable but honestly The Ravens have been searching for every down outside linebacker to match up with Terrell Suggs for quite while. Second picks like Paul Krugar, Sergio Kindle, and Courtney Upshaw did not become the every down outside linebackers The Ravens may have hoped but a fifth round pick from Grand Valley did even though he needs to be more consistent getting after the quarterback. Matt Judon can set the edge to defend against the run, can cover, can defend against screen passes , displays on field intelligence to disrupt a play before it happens and can get after the quarterback. He's not perfect but I cant say that about any other outside linebacker on The Ravens team.

I dont think Ziggy Ansah has ever played as a outside linebacker before at The NFL level and he has health is a concern. I honestly wouldn't trade Matt Judon and just have veteran edge rusher who you have to gamble on hoping he stay healthy along with hoping the younger outside linebackers take the next step.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Seriously..outside of Suggs, what the fuck have we been doing scouting wise at the OLB position? btw i didn't like sergio kindle as a prospect and im certain he'd have been underwhelming with or without the staircase incident.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Seriously..outside of Suggs, what the fuck have we been doing scouting wise at the OLB position? btw i didn't like sergio kindle as a prospect and im certain he'd have been underwhelming with or without the staircase incident.
Fwiw we've been pretty good at getting high comp picks out of our OLB players. Kruger, McPhee, Z Smith, Upshaw, Arthur Jones-ish. So they are not total busts