• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Jaylon Ferguson and Miles Boykin

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeh I think we all want same thing. Hopefully your doubts are proven wrong on these guys.

Just out of curiosity from a guy who's not watched football all that long, how realistic is it to expect a 3rd/4th round pick to become ballers and not just serviceable? Isn't that what happens mid-draft? Of course there are hits like Yanda, but realistically those are rare, right?
ESPN had a short sequence before day 3 that said something like 60% or more starters were day 3 picks. Can’t remember the exact thing but it basically said a majority of the leagues quality play comes from day 3

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
ESPN had a short sequence before day 3 that said something like 60% or more starters were day 3 picks. Can’t remember the exact thing but it basically said a majority of the leagues quality play comes from day 3
That's just a numbers logic - teams get about that many players on day 3

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know lol but it’s interesting that the hit rate on day 3 is much higher than one would expect and days 1 and 2 much lower
I don't think the hit rate is higher. It's just that the raw numbers are higher. The percentage of successes from day 3 is smaller, but there's like five times the number of picks on day 3 vs day 1. Simply a case of a small percentage of large number being larger than a big percentage of a small number.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think the hit rate is higher. It's just that the raw numbers are higher. The percentage of successes from day 3 is smaller, but there's like five times the number of picks on day 3 vs day 1. Simply a case of a small percentage of large number being larger than a big percentage of a small number.
Common statistics flaw....sample sizes

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Didn’t say it was a higher hit rate in day 3 compared to day 1, just higher than one would expect

I feel like harbaugh has a different definition of Sam than we have...

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Boykin.. Different animal. The trade was questionable at first until you realize that it's two sixth rounders. Highly unlikely we miss on anything too major. Boykin getting compared to Waller is fucking lazy as shit. Boykin is a reverse. Good hands and contested grab ability with solid route running ability. Speed not shown and tape suggests that he's more of a possesion guy. But when running in a straight line, he can get open and burn people. He's not horribly misused, and his one year he was given a chance was a very good chance.

His tape suggests a safe, if unspectacular pick from the get go that starts for you, does his job, and keeps the offense on schedule. The combine suggests he has a lot of room to grow. I think that's why he went ahead of Butler(who was always overrated, told ya so), and Harmon, who may be safer but imo doesn't have the same upside.

I would've taken Riley Ridley over him though, or an interior OL. The act of trading up for him is more my issue, not the cost. I don't think the cost is the issue, he probably would've been there had we waited.
he's also sneaky fast on tape, however his long striding makes it look like he is slower than he actually is. Agree that he is most likely a possession guy. He has very good hands as well. I liked Harmon a lot, but lets not forget that Harmon had way too many body catches.

man, it´s hard to get an idea of someone´s getoff and general playing speed if the videos are uploaded at 1.5x the RL speed (I´m particular referring to the Ferguson tape vs SouthAla).
Why tf would one even do that

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
man, it´s hard to get an idea of someone´s getoff and general playing speed if the videos are uploaded at 1.5x the RL speed (I´m particular referring to the Ferguson tape vs SouthAla).
Why tf would one even do that
did you see the google doc I sent you?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 - i realise this is just one clip and that it doesnt happen on every snap but here's evidence that jaylon CAN bend not that he does all the time but he has the physical agility to do it and get low and maintain balance

https://twitter.com/GrindingTheTape/status/1093313105059303424
I have seen him do it before but more often than not he looks so labored and lumbering around the edge. He’s got a solid jump and it’s really disappointing to see him win the snap and then fail to bend. He’s so hit or miss with it.

I wonder if he drops or gains weight in the nfl. If he loses I think his bend becomes substantially better but his best asset is bull rush and if he loses that he’s fucked. I’m just gonna hold out hope for him and hope that decosta sees potential in him that I don’t

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have seen him do it before but more often than not he looks so labored and lumbering around the edge. He’s got a solid jump and it’s really disappointing to see him win the snap and then fail to bend. He’s so hit or miss with it.

I wonder if he drops or gains weight in the nfl. If he loses I think his bend becomes substantially better but his best asset is bull rush and if he loses that he’s fucked. I’m just gonna hold out hope for him and hope that decosta sees potential in him that I don’t

i think he put the weight on to try and prove to teams that he could be something that he's not and that he'll lose some of that extra weight he gained and be better for it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
saw boykins stanford tape for the first time..

lets just say if i watched THIS tape before we took him, i probably wouldnt have questioned the pick. that kind of takeover game is what i needed to make me see him as more than a mid day 3 guy, he really showed some shit in that game.

if cullen can harness that and get him to do it consistently then he could be something special. he absolutely shit on stanford.

one thing i notice he does very well other than catch a ball midair while dbs bounce off of him like flies, is change direction with no indication at all, his breaks dont look sharp, but they are. he has no hip dropping or foot chopping, he is in full sprint within 2-3 steps and it always looks like some sort of go route, and he will just break sharp at 45 degrees or more without slowing down at all. its hard to see honestly because the strides and forward lean make everything look slow and half assed, but the more you watch the more it stands out, you start to notice how dbs are jumping him after his breaks and they never get to anticipate and beat him to the ball.

hes growing on me.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
saw boykins stanford tape for the first time..

lets just say if i watched THIS tape before we took him, i probably wouldnt have questioned the pick. that kind of takeover game is what i needed to make me see him as more than a mid day 3 guy, he really showed some shit in that game.

if cullen can harness that and get him to do it consistently then he could be something special. he absolutely shit on stanford.

one thing i notice he does very well other than catch a ball midair while dbs bounce off of him like flies, is change direction with no indication at all, his breaks dont look sharp, but they are. he has no hip dropping or foot chopping, he is in full sprint within 2-3 steps and it always looks like some sort of go route, and he will just break sharp at 45 degrees or more without slowing down at all. its hard to see honestly because the strides and forward lean make everything look slow and half assed, but the more you watch the more it stands out, you start to notice how dbs are jumping him after his breaks and they never get to anticipate and beat him to the ball.

hes growing on me.
I noticed on his film that he was much more productive when Book was his qb

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
this draft is filled with boom/bust.

There is a reason why teams passed on Ferguson.There is a reason why PFF ranked him 164 on their big board.
I've watched all his snaps vs FAU just now and have come away underwhelmed

lots of his plays/stats come from gimmes. Reminds me of Elams interceptions at florida, they were nothing to do with talent..just walked into them.

I'd have traded up for chase W. You're getting a very high floor there at least.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
this draft is filled with boom/bust.

There is a reason why teams passed on Ferguson.There is a reason why PFF ranked him 164 on their big board.
I've watched all his snaps vs FAU just now and have come away underwhelmed

lots of his plays/stats come from gimmes. Reminds me of Elams interceptions at florida, they were nothing to do with talent..just walked into them.

I'd have traded up for chase W. You're getting a very high floor there at least.
I’m not a ferguson fan and I would’ve killed to trade up for winovich, but I can’t agree on your assessment that he walked into sacks. A lot of his sacks were impressive, not in a sense that he’s showing quality nfl traits, but impressive in the sense that he’s kicking the shit outta opponents with brute force

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh don't get me wrong there were some impressive bullrushes vs UTEP and LSU but what's sold ferguson was his production AT A LOWER TIER of competition.

When that's the case, every sack or TFL counts. The truth is that sometimes I wonder if PFF have a better eye for things than our scouting department.

I feel we got lazy in this draft. Lets just take the all time leader in sacks even though he was mauled in the one on one drills, tested poorly and can only bullrush.