• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Pass rush

rossihunter2

Staff Member
for some pass rush context - the ravens are currently 7th in the nfl in qb hits (and 2nd out of the teams that have had their bye already behind only pittsburgh)

despite that we are 27th in sacks

ravens have 56 qb hits but only 14 sacks - steelers have 62 qb hits and 29 sacks for context

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
for some pass rush context - the ravens are currently 7th in the nfl in qb hits (and 2nd out of the teams that have had their bye already behind only pittsburgh)

despite that we are 27th in sacks

ravens have 56 qb hits but only 14 sacks - steelers have 62 qb hits and 29 sacks for context
I feel like a lot of that is because teams get the ball out quickly against us. That mixed with the amount of exotic blitzes Wink does adds to the qbhits but not the sacks

Meanwhile blitzburg ironically has only been rushing 4 or 5 for the most part since TJ Watt and Dupree have been really breaking out this year.

2 totally different styles of defense but both effective

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it seems our pass rush has taken a step forward with the addition of jihad ward, and with a higher snap count for bowser and Ferguson. Not that bowser or Ferguson have been great, but Ferguson is collapsing the edge consistently in the pass rush, and bowser is really stressing the front with raw speed and quickness, and jihad ward I’ve seen in many positions and I’m seeing him often pushing and pressuring and getting qb hits.

Ferguson has been HORRIBLE in run defense though, my god.

All that to say that I actually think the addition of Peters and return of jimmy has played a bigger hand in the pass rush improvement than any actual pass rushers. What we’re able to do schematically with the massive upgrades at corner has paid dividends.

Also, with our struggles at pass rush, there has been nothing we’ve missed more than peanuts role as the sidekick. He was trash as the lead ILB but man he is so unbelievably good at blitzing, his return paired with our improved secondary should make our pass rush a force to be reckoned with honestly, I see a lot of turnovers and big third down sacks with this combination

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wink is very good at designing blitz packages and gets the most out of what we do have. The sack count is low though because we don't have anyone that can actually quickly get to the QB. Mosely and Peanut were good blitzers in the middle but Peanut can't really stay on the field. And no one is that great on their own off the edge.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it seems our pass rush has taken a step forward with the addition of jihad ward, and with a higher snap count for bowser and Ferguson. Not that bowser or Ferguson have been great, but Ferguson is collapsing the edge consistently in the pass rush, and bowser is really stressing the front with raw speed and quickness, and jihad ward I’ve seen in many positions and I’m seeing him often pushing and pressuring and getting qb hits.

Ferguson has been HORRIBLE in run defense though, my god.

All that to say that I actually think the addition of Peters and return of jimmy has played a bigger hand in the pass rush improvement than any actual pass rushers. What we’re able to do schematically with the massive upgrades at corner has paid dividends.

Also, with our struggles at pass rush, there has been nothing we’ve missed more than peanuts role as the sidekick. He was trash as the lead ILB but man he is so unbelievably good at blitzing, his return paired with our improved secondary should make our pass rush a force to be reckoned with honestly, I see a lot of turnovers and big third down sacks with this combination

was about to say as i was reading the first part here (and then saw you said it as well) but while Peanut was playing awful as the MLB we've missed him as a blitzer and pass rusher while he's been out - when he can just go into attack mode at WLB he's an awesome finisher - dude had 5.5 sacks last year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wink is very good at designing blitz packages and gets the most out of what we do have. The sack count is low though because we don't have anyone that can actually quickly get to the QB. Mosely and Peanut were good blitzers in the middle but Peanut can't really stay on the field. And no one is that great on their own off the edge.

we absolutely need to find that edge guy who can win off the edge quickly - i was so hopeful that timmy williams could turn into that guy for us but alas it wasnt meant to be

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
we absolutely need to find that edge guy who can win off the edge quickly - i was so hopeful that timmy williams could turn into that guy for us but alas it wasnt meant to be
I wouldn’t mind if we signed Dupree this offseason.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
It is looking a little better weak by weak. If we can abuse the Bengals this week it would be telling

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
im wary about dupree because he's in a contract year(showed nothing beforehand) and hes on THAT d line which tends to make everyones life easier as pass rush individuals.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im wary about dupree because he's in a contract year(showed nothing beforehand) and hes on THAT d line which tends to make everyones life easier as pass rush individuals.

yeah theyve got talent all along that front and my guess (having not watched much steelers football this year) is that TJ Watt, Heyward and Tuitt are drawing more double teams and attention from opposing teams which opens up 1v1 opportunities for him on the edge - complete conjecture ill admit but those other 3 are far superior players

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah theyve got talent all along that front and my guess (having not watched much steelers football this year) is that TJ Watt, Heyward and Tuitt are drawing more double teams and attention from opposing teams which opens up 1v1 opportunities for him on the edge - complete conjecture ill admit but those other 3 are far superior players
Watt has been extremely dominant this year. Like really good

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hasn’t Dupree been pretty excellent as a pure edge rusher the last 2 years? When I watch the Steelers play which is fairly often, Dupree is constantly flashing.

I’ve seen plenty of horrible play from him when he’s asked to do LB things, that’s a given, but as an edge rusher I can’t call him anything less than good, looks like he’s done that extremely well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hasn’t Dupree been pretty excellent as a pure edge rusher the last 2 years? When I watch the Steelers play which is fairly often, Dupree is constantly flashing.

I’ve seen plenty of horrible play from him when he’s asked to do LB things, that’s a given, but as an edge rusher I can’t call him anything less than good, looks like he’s done that extremely well.

maybe ive just been projecting on him but i thought he was fairly maligned before the steelers picked up his 5th year option

statistically this is by far his best year - he's already matched his career best sack total in half a season - i just dont know if i trust that increase in production because of the improved talent around him the past 2 years - you say that's when he's played better and maybe that's true but i also have to wonder if its not coincidental that that's when TJ Watt joined the team...