• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we kept Wesley he would be a healthy scratch most of the time. He wouldn't crack the top 5 in our wr depth chart.
We did it for lasley and he can’t catch. Oh and we made the playoffs in doing so. And on a more successful side we also healthy scratched Tim Williams the second half of the year and half of his rookie year and he’s now rotating with the 1s.

Also, the top 4 WRs are the ones that matter, Snead brown Boykin Moore, anything beyond that is fluff and/or stashing, Seth Roberts is what he is, a low end guy, he’s hit his ceiling already which is not high, he honestly shouldn’t get the nod over a rookie who proves himself.

This all may be moot if he stinks it up in preseason, but the guy had ridiculous numbers in college, the film backs up the numbers, and he has a valuable skill set of being able to use length and route running and great hands and body control to catch very difficult passes, he’s always done it and reportedly is still doing it in camp. What have we heard of Seth Roberts? Nothing, but we’ve heard quite a bit about Wesley. We’ll see in preseason games, but if Wesley shows something and he gets sent to the PS and we lose him, so that we can keep a Seth Roberts and a special teamer, I’ll be pissed and I think we’ll regret it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What is the level of concern that everyone seems to be able to run past Brown? He put on muscle but did he lose speed to do so?
He never had speed. His game was always positioning and length, just use those arms to keep guys at bay for a while. He had a lot of help from Boyle last year, and may continue needing help.

Honestly I’m very worried about the reports on brown, because they don’t sound like something we all could’ve expected. First the combine, then the failed conditioning, now reports of really poor performance, it all kinda falls in line and it’s really discouraging.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Orlando and Hurst have been rotating the reps at RT with Ben powers taking every snap at LG - apart from yesterday when Eluemunor had some snaps at LG it seems they're really giving Powers as much of a chance as possible to get reps with the 1s
I don’t know how much to think about a report from ken weiman(who is actually one of the better guys from 105.7) but he said Ben powers looks great in shells but didn’t look very good with the pads on, basically said he looked overmatched and overpowered

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t know how much to think about a report from ken weiman(who is actually one of the better guys from 105.7) but he said Ben powers looks great in shells but didn’t look very good with the pads on, basically said he looked overmatched and overpowered

probably a completely different experience when those huge nose tackles actually are allowed to get into the interior linemen - im glad he's getting the snaps to get acclimated though even if he's not playing well

John Harbaugh on giving Ben Powers the reps as starting left guard: "We are, but we don't have a starter there. Who would you want me to put in there? He's the guy right now. Jermaine's got to get in shape still more. Those guys are competing. ... We'll see what happens."

that to me is indicative of a couple of things - hurst isnt currently in the mix for reps - that means they're either sure he's not playing LG for us or they've seen enough of him over the years that they dont need to see him practice at that spot until they need to start building chemistry on the OL - Alex Lewis is very much still in the competition if/when he comes back - Powers is going to get every opportunity to win this job - it's obvious why the ravens were reportedly hoping to trade up into the 2nd round for Cody Ford before the price became extortionate

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
probably a completely different experience when those huge nose tackles actually are allowed to get into the interior linemen - im glad he's getting the snaps to get acclimated though even if he's not playing well

John Harbaugh on giving Ben Powers the reps as starting left guard: "We are, but we don't have a starter there. Who would you want me to put in there? He's the guy right now. Jermaine's got to get in shape still more. Those guys are competing. ... We'll see what happens."

that to me is indicative of a couple of things - hurst isnt currently in the mix for reps - that means they're either sure he's not playing LG for us or they've seen enough of him over the years that they dont need to see him practice at that spot until they need to start building chemistry on the OL - Alex Lewis is very much still in the competition if/when he comes back - Powers is going to get every opportunity to win this job - it's obvious why the ravens were reportedly hoping to trade up into the 2nd round for Cody Ford before the price became extortionate
They didn’t need to do all that, they just needed to trade up a few goddamn spots in the third for Nate Davis or Phil Haynes instead of taking shitbag Ferguson

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
They didn’t need to do all that, they just needed to trade up a few goddamn spots in the third for Nate Davis or Phil Haynes instead of taking shitbag Ferguson
They didn't even need to trade up. Stay put and grab McGovorn. Or Chuma Edoga would have also been a pretty good pick there, since he'll likely move to guard. Grab one of them and Ben Powers for the interior.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
They didn't even need to trade up. Stay put and grab McGovorn. Or Chuma Edoga would have also been a pretty good pick there, since he'll likely move to guard. Grab one of them and Ben Powers for the interior.
I never watched edoga but I was lukewarm on McGovern, Davis and Haynes however were KO like players, nasty, incredible power, Davis having pretty damn good feet and Haynes having OT length but playing like a guard.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'll say this, Ferguson looks like a stud so far. Some nice 3rd rounders this year.

A1A

Veteran
This not Madden 20. The Ravens likely top four receivers is going to be Snead, Brown, Moore and Boykin. That fifth or sixth receiver going to have to know how to play on special teams to even make the team or be active on game day. Special teams do matter unlike in the video game.

Wesley does not have the body to play ST I feel like the staff would be setting him up for failure. But hey what do I know let's see Hollywood run down and make a tackle and if he cant send his ass to the bench.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Wesley does not have the body to play ST I feel like the staff would be setting him up for failure. But hey what do I know let's see Hollywood run down and make a tackle and if he cant send his ass to the bench.

Hollywood is a first round pick and a first round pick at a position that isn't really that deep . If anything Hollywood may get some looks at kick returns but I doubt The Ravens are going to have him running down the field on special teams to make a tackle. The Ravens didn't even have Torrey Smith and Breshad Perriman. Wesley on the other hand is a undrafted player unfortunately undrafted players don't get the same privileges. Honestly if Wesley cant work his way up to being part of The Ravens depth such as beyond being the fifth or sixth receiver then he probably going to be on the bench regardless especially if he can't play on special teams.

purp

Practice Squad
Hollywood is a first round pick and a first round pick at a position that isn't really that deep . If anything Hollywood may get some looks at kick returns but I doubt The Ravens are going to have him running down the field on special teams to make a tackle. The Ravens didn't even have Torrey Smith and Breshad Perriman. Wesley on the other hand is a undrafted player unfortunately undrafted players don't get the same privileges. Honestly if Wesley cant work his way up to being part of The Ravens depth such as beyond being the fifth or sixth receiver then he probably going to be on the bench regardless especially if he can't play on special teams.

Wesley will be on the PS, along with Modster. If Hollywood shows enough ball security he will be our PR for the next 2-3 years. KR duties will probably go to Cyrus Jones or to Chris Moore if Jones loses out in the numbers game.

A1A

Veteran

Jimmy Smith week 1 vs Steelers...

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Jimmy Smith week 1 vs Steelers...

When The Ravens drafted Jimmy Smith in 2011 they had Ladarius Webb, Cary Williams, Chris Carr,Dominque Foxworth and etc already on the roster. Cary Williams earn the number 2 cornerback position and Ladarius Webb was at his best in 2011 which was like shutdown cornerback level that year. Chris Carr was The Ravens best nickel corner and Jimmy Smith couldn't play nickel corner. Can't for get at that time even though Foxworth never panned out he was still a guy The Ravens gave a big contract to during that time so of course that left Jimmy Smith being 5th on the depth chart during their week 1 match up against The Steelers. So yeah he had to play on special teams but that's still a bit different to The Ravens wide receiver situation currently now.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
When The Ravens drafted Jimmy Smith in 2011 they had Ladarius Webb, Cary Williams, Chris Carr,Dominque Foxworth and etc already on the roster. Cary Williams earn the number 2 cornerback position and Ladarius Webb was at his best in 2011 which was like shutdown cornerback level that year. Chris Carr was The Ravens best nickel corner and Jimmy Smith couldn't play nickel corner. Can't for get at that time even though Foxworth never panned out he was still a guy The Ravens gave a big contract to during that time so of course that left Jimmy Smith being 5th on the depth chart during their week 1 match up against The Steelers. So yeah he had to play on special teams but that's still a bit different to The Ravens wide receiver situation currently now.

He also wasn't a very very small player who is coming off an injury.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is anybody here going to the season opener in Miami?