• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

JO_75

Hall of Famer
It may be the HOF game but it's the first Gameday of the 2019 season! Broncos vs Falcons 8pm on NBC! Unfortunately, Joe and Ryan will not be playing tonight.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Honestly we havent seen how Westley looks in preseason yet and if teams really thought he was that good then he probably wouldnt have been undrafted. Wesley going to have to probably impress on special team to give him a edge to make the team but other than that its not a gurantee he makes the team. Still a bit early in training camp as well.

Doesn't always pan out but there's a decent amount of players who go undrafted with talent. Thielen is one that comes to mind. It's not like we have a some stacked room either so why not given it to the guy if he's actually earned it. Yes there is still preseason but we've seen this team too many times seem to pick favorites over production.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
The truth is, we have convinced ourselves that ST is of utmost importance and a special teamer who plays 6 snaps a game and MAYBE makes 1 tackle on those snaps, is more important than a WR who could potentially be a starter within 2 years, and it’s just not true. I’m sorry but the importance of ST beyond kicks and punts, begins and ends with “don’t blow the game”, anything beyond that shouldn’t sacrifice talents on the other 2 sides of the ball which is on the field for far more snaps

Honestly I dont think The Ravens special team was as good as The Ravens coaching staff would have liked. At times it seems like they missed Albert Mccellan which probably one of the main reasons why The Ravens signed Justin Bethel along with knowing their own special team coordinator Jerry Rosburg was going to retired. Its not about wanting a elite special teamer but the reality of it all is that back up players usually have to play on special teams. If they cant do that then they either not going to make the team or be on the inactive list for most of the season similar to Jordan Lasley. Better special team players on The Ravens team such as Chris Moore and possibly Chris Board could end up being full time starters for The Ravens. If true then its probably ideally for The Ravens to have a replacement for them. If The Ravens didn't think special teams wasn't a concern then I don't think they would work out and sign Branden Trawick.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Doesn't always pan out but there's a decent amount of players who go undrafted with talent. Thielen is one that comes to mind. It's not like we have a some stacked room either so why not given it to the guy if he's actually earned it. Yes there is still preseason but we've seen this team too many times seem to pick favorites over production.

I'm not denying that there are decent amount of players who go undrafted . I'm glad you bought up Thielen because he is a player that didn't make The Vikings 53 man roster in his first season. He was placed on practice squad and it wasn't until his second season that he made The Vikings 53 man squad which was after when he impress on special team and offense in preseason.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Honestly I dont think The Ravens special team was as good as The Ravens coaching staff would have liked. At times it seems like they missed Albert Mccellan which probably one of the main reasons why The Ravens signed Justin Bethel along with knowing their own special team coordinator Jerry Rosburg was going to retired. Its not about wanting a elite special teamer but the reality of it all is that back up players usually have to play on special teams. If they cant do that then they either not going to make the team or be on the inactive list for most of the season similar to Jordan Lasley. Better special team players on The Ravens team such as Chris Moore and possibly Chris Board could end up being full time starters for The Ravens. If true then its probably ideally for The Ravens to have a replacement for them. If The Ravens didn't think special teams wasn't a concern then I don't think they would work out and sign Branden Trawick.
They place that emphasis on ST because our coach is a former special teams coordinator and he’s always placed too much emphasis on it. As I said, if you have competent bodies out there you are gonna field a ST unit that won’t blow the game, and that’s all you want from your ST.

purp

Practice Squad
They place that emphasis on ST because our coach is a former special teams coordinator and he’s always placed too much emphasis on it. As I said, if you have competent bodies out there you are gonna field a ST unit that won’t blow the game, and that’s all you want from your ST.

The Ravens were a ball control, field position offensive team long before John Harbaugh walked into Owings Mills.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The Ravens were a ball control, field position offensive team long before John Harbaugh walked into Owings Mills.
Because we had a great defense and run game and a all time great kicker and we always had great punters and again, enough competent bodies to not blow games by being unable to tackle one guy on a punt/kick return, but there was never talk about cutting a capable guy at the weakest group on the roster in order to have another gunner.

We have enough capable guys for special teams is my point, we don’t need to get cute with Wesley who has reportedly been one of the better offensive players in camp because we would rather have brynden trawick

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because we had a great defense and run game and a all time great kicker and we always had great punters and again, enough competent bodies to not blow games by being unable to tackle one guy on a punt/kick return, but there was never talk about cutting a capable guy at the weakest group on the roster in order to have another gunner.

We have enough capable guys for special teams is my point, we don’t need to get cute with Wesley who has reportedly been one of the better offensive players in camp because we would rather have brynden trawick

47 guys dress for game day. The 3rd RB or 4th WR or 4th CB better be able to play ST because he isn't needed otherwise.

As for developing, EVERY team has their project WRs that they are developing that the fans swear other teams will poach if they go on PS. Unfortunately on both counts that rarely happens which is why the latter rarely happens

purp

Practice Squad

All fair points I’m just saying let’s not act like Harbaugh ushered in an era of focus on Teams.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

If we kept Wesley he would be a healthy scratch most of the time. He wouldn't crack the top 5 in our wr depth chart.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
What is the level of concern that everyone seems to be able to run past Brown? He put on muscle but did he lose speed to do so?

purp

Practice Squad
What is the level of concern that everyone seems to be able to run past Brown? He put on muscle but did he lose speed to do so?

I think Brown is the type of player that is at his best operating within a scheme. He is not an elite athlete as we all know, his game is technical. Not necessarily going to shine in “just beat the man in front of you” situations.