• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

A1A

Veteran
Honestly we havent seen how Westley looks in preseason yet and if teams really thought he was that good then he probably wouldnt have been undrafted. Wesley going to have to probably impress on special team to give him a edge to make the team but other than that its not a gurantee he makes the team. Still a bit early in training camp as well.

No no and no. Guys fall thru the cracks all the time and when one does and a team tries to be "cute" like my man just said is when another team comes and fixes their wrong by signing him to the active roster. I haven't seen Wesley at camp but I have watched him live and dont remember a rookie WR getting so much praise in a Ravens uniform. If he had Brees throwing to him or Tom Brady I bet the news outlets would be all over it.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Not liking what I keep hearing about our offensive line. I am getting bothered by it. I thought it was really lacking last season and I still have the same doubts. I wish I was as optimistic as I am about other units on this team, like our secondary. I just don’t want our offensive line to be the our weak link again.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Harbaugh will probably say he needs to prove himself on ST first.

This not Madden 20. The Ravens likely top four receivers is going to be Snead, Brown, Moore and Boykin. That fifth or sixth receiver going to have to know how to play on special teams to even make the team or be active on game day. Special teams do matter unlike in the video game.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Not liking what I keep hearing about our offensive line. I am getting bothered by it. I thought it was really lacking last season and I still have the same doubts. I wish I was as optimistic as I am about other units on this team, like our secondary. I just don’t want our offensive line to be the our weak link again.
center

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
No no and no. Guys fall thru the cracks all the time and when one does and a team tries to be "cute" like my man just said is when another team comes and fixes their wrong by signing him to the active roster. I haven't seen Wesley at camp but I have watched him live and dont remember a rookie WR getting so much praise in a Ravens uniform. If he had Brees throwing to him or Tom Brady I bet the news outlets would be all over it.

Every year Ravens fans talk like this and that same player ends up getting cut and making the practice squad. Just because Wesley getting rave reviews in training camp doesnt make him qualified to make the team. He will have to impress in a live game as well and show what he has on tape .

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure this was already mentioned, but I haven't seen it yet

Ravens waived WR Jordan Lasley.
Lasley hasn't been standing out in camp practices, and the Ravens are giving up on him after using a fifth-round pick on Lasley last year. Lasley struggled with drops in the spring after being inactive for every game as a rookie. It's not a good sign Lasley wasn't able to last in Baltimore's underwhelming receiving corps.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So
Brown
Boykin
Snead
Moore
Roberts
along with either Wesley or Scott?
My gut tells me it's Scott ( at least right now) with us placing Wesley on PS.

yeah that's what i think - my hope is there's some way they keep wesley - he was one of my late round pound the table guys and then went undrafted - the wild card option here is if they think they can find a replacement elsewhere on the roster for chris moore's special teams acumen (e.g. from justin bethel) i could see him maybe finding a way off the roster given the stories about how he's had an inconsistent and disappointing start to training camp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Read something that said Wesley hasn't dropped a pass in TC. Give the young man the go ahead and stop trying to get cute with players.

he feels to me like the kind of guy we're missing on the roster - the problem is that jaleel scott is not dissimilar

saw a highlight of him earlier but unfortunately it was with the 3rd team offence which does not bode well - preseason will tell us a lot

purp

Practice Squad
Stop quoting cerrato please..I rather ask my grandmother what she thinks about football.

Wesley is making this team but I didnt see him actually being part of the initial 53(based on coaches history). Surprised that his game has transitioned to the pros especially with Jackson throwing to him. If coach thinks he'll sneak him on the PS hes dumber than I thought. Lasley being cut actually helped clear things up. Man o man brown better show out cause at this point we could have drafted the guy the chiefs drafted if all we wanted was a deep threat.

damn whole time i thought you were cerrato tbh

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Marlon said Hollywood was clocked at 21 mph on a rehab run. Marlon clocked at 20 mph running full speed.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Not hard to figure why Brown's nickname is Jet. whoa! Hopefully he is fully healed and stays healthy.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This not Madden 20. The Ravens likely top four receivers is going to be Snead, Brown, Moore and Boykin. That fifth or sixth receiver going to have to know how to play on special teams to even make the team or be active on game day. Special teams do matter unlike in the video game.
Special teams matter, sure, but if you have 10 competent football players then your special teams will be solid. You don’t need to go hunting for elite gunners and kick cover guys considering most kickoffs are touchbacks. You need 2 gunners on punts, then long snapper and punter, that leaves 7 more spots, which are usually half blockers and the other half big enough bodies to block but fast enough to get the angle on a returner.

Essentially, if you have 6-8 competent football players who can move, special teams is set.

Special teams have been massively overrated by ravens fans and I think it’s because our special teams has typically been a high point for us so we brag about how good it is and thus we convince others that it’s super important. Yeah, if your special teams doesn’t blow games then you have a better chance, but most special teams units are competent enough to not blow games(kickers and punters aside) and ours falls in that category, and signing Justin bethel instead of taking a comp, and IRing Wesley for a better ST player will have zero impact on our W/L record. You can be the best goddamn punt covering team in the league but it will make very little difference without a great punter, you can have the best blockers of any punt return unit in the league but it means nothing without an elite returner.

The truth is, we have convinced ourselves that ST is of utmost importance and a special teamer who plays 6 snaps a game and MAYBE makes 1 tackle on those snaps, is more important than a WR who could potentially be a starter within 2 years, and it’s just not true. I’m sorry but the importance of ST beyond kicks and punts, begins and ends with “don’t blow the game”, anything beyond that shouldn’t sacrifice talents on the other 2 sides of the ball which is on the field for far more snaps

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Special teams matter, sure, but if you have 10 competent football players then your special teams will be solid. You don’t need to go hunting for elite gunners and kick cover guys considering most kickoffs are touchbacks. You need 2 gunners on punts, then long snapper and punter, that leaves 7 more spots, which are usually half blockers and the other half big enough bodies to block but fast enough to get the angle on a returner.

Essentially, if you have 6-8 competent football players who can move, special teams is set.

Special teams have been massively overrated by ravens fans and I think it’s because our special teams has typically been a high point for us so we brag about how good it is and thus we convince others that it’s super important. Yeah, if your special teams doesn’t blow games then you have a better chance, but most special teams units are competent enough to not blow games(kickers and punters aside) and ours falls in that category, and signing Justin bethel instead of taking a comp, and IRing Wesley for a better ST player will have zero impact on our W/L record. You can be the best goddamn punt covering team in the league but it will make very little difference without a great punter, you can have the best blockers of any punt return unit in the league but it means nothing without an elite returner.

The truth is, we have convinced ourselves that ST is of utmost importance and a special teamer who plays 6 snaps a game and MAYBE makes 1 tackle on those snaps, is more important than a WR who could potentially be a starter within 2 years, and it’s just not true. I’m sorry but the importance of ST beyond kicks and punts, begins and ends with “don’t blow the game”, anything beyond that shouldn’t sacrifice talents on the other 2 sides of the ball which is on the field for far more snaps

I haven't. ST ain't shit. As long as you're not historically bad like the Chargers that year,for the most part you're good.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I haven't. ST ain't shit. As long as you're not historically bad like the Chargers that year,for the most part you're good.
I wasn’t pointing out anyone in particular but I’ve seen too many ravens fans overhyping the importance of special teams and it comes from harbaughs insistence of guys proving themselves there before getting snaps

Looks like we just signed 26 year old free agent quarterback Joe Callahan. Maybe @Ice Bowl can fill us in as he spent time with the Packers.

He didn't do much here. He played in one game in 2017 when Rodgers was hurt and Hundley was so bad that he had to be taken out. He was 5 of 7 for 11 yards in that game. He looked good in practice at times from what I remember.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I wasn’t pointing out anyone in particular but I’ve seen too many ravens fans overhyping the importance of special teams and it comes from harbaughs insistence of guys proving themselves there before getting snaps
How many stickers is required before they get snaps?