• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
For a brief moment, I forgot Orr was on the coaching staff but thanks for that reminder. I'm looking forward to see how his speed translates to preseason because there may be a chance he could roll with the 1s in our first preseason game. My expectations for Young is still relatively low, but I need to some progression from him because he wasn't too shabby overall.

Wouldn't that be amazing if Chris Board could rise to starter status in the same way Orr did in 2016. I think the streak of undrafted free agents becoming contributors would continue, wouldn't it?
Idk.. our front seven will really have to surprise me cause as of now i have no confidence in them.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Pass rush has been inconsistent since 14. We haven't been able to rely on a guy for years to get pressure regularly which is why I feel people aren't that concerned with it now. There cant be that much more of a drop off and if anything our run d is probably what takes a bigger hit. I have more faith in our current group to get after the qb than last years if Timmy actually gets some burn.
Idk man. I just feel like we have way too many unproven guys. Literally almost everyone.. we are going into the season hoping they step up

purp

Practice Squad
For a brief moment, I forgot Orr was on the coaching staff but thanks for that reminder. I'm looking forward to see how his speed translates to preseason because there may be a chance he could roll with the 1s in our first preseason game. My expectations for Young is still relatively low, but I need to some progression from him because he wasn't too shabby overall.

Wouldn't that be amazing if Chris Board could rise to starter status in the same way Orr did in 2016. I think the streak of undrafted free agents becoming contributors would continue, wouldn't it?

Otaro Alaka is getting second team reps as well. I like the fact that EDC is willing to bet on our ability to develop ILBs. Will bode very well for roster construction moving forward. Although, it also makes you wonder what the team does with Peanut if/when he breaks out this season. I think they let him walk.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
So what makes you think mcphee can replicate andything that suggs can do? What has mcphee done that shows he is capable of even putting up half of what suggs have done?

Because he isnt being asked to do what Suggs was years ago, he just needs to be what Suggs was last year and last year Suggs was at best average. I have seen nothing from McPhee that suggests he is not capable of being at least average. He doesnt need to be the Defensive Player of the Year, he just needs to be able to not be a liability in the run and be able to be schemed into sacks and he matches Suggs.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Idk.. our front seven will really have to surprise me cause as of now i have no confidence in them.
I have confidence in Wink though. He made our defense better than what it was the previous season. I'm sure he'll put some of these unproven guys in the best position to succeed.

Otaro Alaka is getting second team reps as well. I like the fact that EDC is willing to bet on our ability to develop ILBs. Will bode very well for roster construction moving forward. Although, it also makes you wonder what the team does with Peanut if/when he breaks out this season. I think they let him walk.
Another undrafted FA as well, eh? I'll be honest, I never heard of this guy until you mentioned him. Peanut definitely seems like the type of player to have a career season during his contract year only for him to be overpaid by some other team.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Because he isnt being asked to do what Suggs was years ago, he just needs to be what Suggs was last year and last year Suggs was at best average. I have seen nothing from McPhee that suggests he is not capable of being at least average. He doesnt need to be the Defensive Player of the Year, he just needs to be able to not be a liability in the run and be able to be schemed into sacks and he matches Suggs.
doubt it will happen. Maybe some cvg sacks but i cant see him getting 7-8 sacks or whatever it was that suggs had

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
doubt it will happen. Maybe some cvg sacks but i cant see him getting 7-8 sacks or whatever it was that suggs had

That is what Suggs had though. Coverage sacks and schemed free rushes. I am trying to think of when Suggs just won. I just checked and he only had .5 sacks in the final 4 games and virtually no tackles when the defense was at its most shut down. 1.5 sacks in final 8 games (though 1 fumble recovery that he returned). These are not shut down stats. They are not even good stats. I struggle to see how you could find these numbers hard to replace. His name recognition got him 5m but that is nothing for an outside pass rusher which shows that the NFL knows he does not have much left.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
That is what Suggs had though. Coverage sacks and schemed free rushes. I am trying to think of when Suggs just won. I just checked and he only had .5 sacks in the final 4 games and virtually no tackles when the defense was at its most shut down. 1.5 sacks in final 8 games (though 1 fumble recovery that he returned). These are not shut down stats. They are not even good stats. I struggle to see how you could find these numbers hard to replace. His name recognition got him 5m but that is nothing for an outside pass rusher which shows that the NFL knows he does not have much left.
It seemed to me that we really struggled to get pressure on the QB last season. I hope that is not the case this season because with our secondary, if we can generate pressure, this defense is going to be really good.

Reactions: cdp

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Mcphee has everydown outside linebacker ability like Terrell Suggs but he isnt a guy you want doing awhole lot due to injury risk. Mcphee should really just return to his role that he had when he was apart of The Ravens 2014 which what. Zadarius Smith filled before he was signed to The Packers. Im not sure if Shane Ray has the ability to be a everydown outside linebacker but even he has injury concerns. I doubt Tim Williams is the ideal fit so that leaves Tyus Bowser and Jaylon Ferguson to prove themselves and hopefully they do.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Its not hard to replace but replaced with mcphee? Mcphee would probably still be a free avg if we didnt pick him up. Cant even be optimistic about mcphee cause he hasnt done anything.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Mcphee has everydown outside linebacker ability like Terrell Suggs but he isnt a guy you want doing awhole lot due to injury risk. Mcphee should really just return to his role that he had when he was apart of The Ravens 2014 which what. Zadarius Smith filled before he was signed to The Packers. Im not sure if Shane Ray has the ability to be a everydown outside linebacker but even he has injury concerns. I doubt Tim Williams is the ideal fit so that leaves Tyus Bowser and Jaylon Ferguson to prove themselves and hopefully they do.
See this what i was saying. We are hoping that guys who have yet to show anything, show us something. Atleast we knew suggs and smith would actually be of service to us. Like dom said its probably gonna be up to wink to scheme them into something nice.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Its not hard to replace but replaced with mcphee? Mcphee would probably still be a free avg if we didnt pick him up. Cant even be optimistic about mcphee cause he hasnt done anything.
McPhee hasn’t done much due to injury, but you’re really underselling McPhee’s ability when healthy

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
McPhee hasn’t done much due to injury, but you’re really underselling McPhee’s ability when healthy
Am i wrong for it though? I just dont know what our front 7 gonna offer us for me to think that we are gonna have a top 3 or better yet a top 5 defense. Not saying we cant be but id just be hesitate about picking us

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Am i wrong for it though? I just dont know what our front 7 gonna offer us for me to think that we are gonna have a top 3 or better yet a top 5 defense. Not saying we cant be but id just be hesitate about picking us
Our front seven was nothing special last year either, but we stopped the run up front and our secondary shut down the pass and wink made our defense tough to figure out, it worked, and there are shit tons of advanced metrics that prove that a great secondary equates to great pass defense more than a great pass rush does. As long as we have a great secondary and can stop the run, I have complete faith in a top 5 defense. And with Michael pierce, Brandon Williams, Chris wormley, and Matt Judon in our regular front 4 then I’m pretty sure we’ll be a great run D.

If you say you don’t believe in our pass rush or our LB corps that’s fine, I agree, I’d have to see it first from them, but I have faith in our defense overall, because with losing 2 liabilities in weddle and Suggs and losing a big piece in Mosley, but then upgrading the weakest spot to earl Thomas, it appears to be a net gain, or at worst breaking even.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Our front seven was nothing special last year either, but we stopped the run up front and our secondary shut down the pass and wink made our defense tough to figure out, it worked, and there are shit tons of advanced metrics that prove that a great secondary equates to great pass defense more than a great pass rush does. As long as we have a great secondary and can stop the run, I have complete faith in a top 5 defense. And with Michael pierce, Brandon Williams, Chris wormley, and Matt Judon in our regular front 4 then I’m pretty sure we’ll be a great run D.

If you say you don’t believe in our pass rush or our LB corps that’s fine, I agree, I’d have to see it first from them, but I have faith in our defense overall, because with losing 2 liabilities in weddle and Suggs and losing a big piece in Mosley, but then upgrading the weakest spot to earl Thomas, it appears to be a net gain, or at worst breaking even.
I totally forgot about judon lmao.. our front 7 was avg last year but they were really really smart. Suggs alone is much smarter than all our pass rushers combined.. same for mosley. Although i always thought mosley to be overrated, he was very intelligent. I mean ovr we should be fine like you said but because of our secondary plus wink schemes but i just dont have faith in shane, mcphee, browser and timmy like others here do.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't see why we would not be even better than last year. Weddle was a complete liability, Mosley struggled at times covering and Suggs definitely lost a step, although I liked what he brought motivating our guys. Earl Thomas is a top safety, which is a big boost to our defense.
Weddle was not a complete liability. Yes, he had lost a step, but he was impactful in getting the defense in the correct position.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I totally forgot about judon lmao.. our front 7 was avg last year but they were really really smart. Suggs alone is much smarter than all our pass rushers combined.. same for mosley. Although i always thought mosley to be overrated, he was very intelligent. I mean ovr we should be fine like you said but because of our secondary plus wink schemes but i just dont have faith in shane, mcphee, browser and timmy like others here do.
If McPhee is healthy, I have faith, he is a gameweecker when he’s healthy and due to health he just went on the back burner in Chicago, he still showed last year that he’s got plenty of ability. If Tim Williams has his head on straight and gets snaps then I think McPhee and Williams is a better pass rushing tandem than we’ve had since 2014. And yeah Mosley is a mad genius, lacks range but he’s brilliant, but I think peanut is being undersold as wel, he was one of our top 3 impact defenders last year after Humphrey and pierce.

I think we will take a step back in run defense up the middle just due to losing Mosley, but pierce and Williams should make it more than viable, after that I think our defense has improved overall.

Still expect us to be a top 3 unit unless mosleys impact was severely underrated

Tank

Hall of Famer
Weddle was not a complete liability. Yes, he had lost a step, but he was impactful in getting the defense in the correct position.
Yeah I think we’ve forgotten how bad the secondary was after Ed and up to the point Eric came on board. The secondary as a whole had no clue. Weddle provided instant improvement no matter who was at the CB positions. He was however washed up as a tackler and was a true liability at some crucial moments in games.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
If McPhee is healthy, I have faith, he is a gameweecker when he’s healthy and due to health he just went on the back burner in Chicago, he still showed last year that he’s got plenty of ability. If Tim Williams has his head on straight and gets snaps then I think McPhee and Williams is a better pass rushing tandem than we’ve had since 2014. And yeah Mosley is a mad genius, lacks range but he’s brilliant, but I think peanut is being undersold as wel, he was one of our top 3 impact defenders last year after Humphrey and pierce.

I think we will take a step back in run defense up the middle just due to losing Mosley, but pierce and Williams should make it more than viable, after that I think our defense has improved overall.

Still expect us to be a top 3 unit unless mosleys impact was severely underrated
Losing CJ is a big hit no doubt, but I think opportunity along with competition is going to push Kenny and Board to a point where they can pick up the slack along with Peanut. Also look for a huge year from him.