• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kenny Young looked good the other night. More physical and better taking on and getting off blocks...
protection is a concern
Love Lamar's involvement on the sidelines with guys on both sides of the ball. constantly engaged with his teammates and its good to see.

seemed to revert back to his lower body mechanics on a couple throws.

McSorley surprised me. watching ben Powers now and I'm impressed so far.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kenny Young looked good the other night. More physical and better taking on and getting off blocks...
protection is a concern
Love Lamar's involvement on the sidelines with guys on both sides of the ball. constantly engaged with his teammates and its good to see.

seemed to revert back to his lower body mechanics on a couple throws.

McSorley surprised me. watching ben Powers now and I'm impressed so far.

Was reading filmstudys breakdown of Kenny and he wasn’t as impressed but I suppose you guys come at evaluation from very different angles

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Was reading filmstudys breakdown of Kenny and he wasn’t as impressed but I suppose you guys come at evaluation from very different angles
I'd say that he is more clever than I am about this stuff. I haven't read anyone else breakdowns apart from folks on this site but I will check out his writeup and see what his take is.

My view is that there is little doubt that Kenny was playing faster and that he was way more physical than he was last year,( he needs to be).
He was very verbal and demonstrative getting guys in position. And while that does not translate necessarily to him being good at this, my supposition ( just a hunch) is that he might be better at it (making calls, reading fronts, formations and pre snap keys, etc) than our other linebackers.

Reactions: cdp

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2
I watched closely the plays that Ken highlighted. @Filmstudy
Of course, these are only my impressions of those plays and I want it known how highly I think of Ken's work and how I'm generally happy to defer to his eye and experience.

Wholly in agreement about Kenny being moved by the TE. Cant happen. The failure to read release and recognize the route on the third down conversion and instead to simply read the QB stood out on the telecast.

The play in the hole at 3:24 Q3 however is actually text book and something you would not see from Kenny last year. front leg/front shoulder take on where the run was headed ( perceived)...he wins leverage and sheds...doesnt make the play at the line but he is exactly where he needs to be doing exactly what he needs to be doing. The block on Willis is the block that allows the RB a hole to my eye and that hole because of his fill and assuming a Brandon Williams stack would not be there. I view Kenny as on point there.

On the Q2 14:21 run, it is the center, not the RG that gets on Kenny ultimately. Prior to that, Kenny makes an adjustment call just before the snap, sets contain while he takes on and sheds a WR block. at this point the center is on him. this would be tough for any LB anywhere.
Also note that Mack and the backside to the play are pinned. As a side note, on that play, Board allows the LG to get on him and move him several yards downfield.

I see the inconsistencies in certain instance ( the TE move is fairly egregious)but I also note again that he is playing much faster and with more physicality. I see him as improved compared to last year (in albeit a single PS game), and I do not agree that he took a step back so far as the ILB competition is concerned.

Attachments

• take on.gif
    take on.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 162

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2
I watched closely the plays that Ken highlighted. @Filmstudy
Of course, these are only my impressions of those plays and I want it known how highly I think of Ken's work and how I'm generally happy to defer to his eye and experience.

Wholly in agreement about Kenny being moved by the TE. Cant happen. The failure to read release and recognize the route on the third down conversion and instead to simply read the QB stood out on the telecast.

The play in the hole at 3:24 Q3 however is actually text book and something you would not see from Kenny last year. front leg/front shoulder take on where the run was headed ( perceived)...he wins leverage and sheds...doesnt make the play at the line but he is exactly where he needs to be doing exactly what he needs to be doing. The block on Willis is the block that allows the RB a hole to my eye and that hole because of his fill and assuming a Brandon Williams stack would not be there. I view Kenny as on point there.

On the Q2 14:21 run, it is the center, not the RG that gets on Kenny ultimately. Prior to that, Kenny makes an adjustment call just before the snap, sets contain while he takes on and sheds a WR block. at this point the center is on him. this would be tough for any LB anywhere.
Also note that Mack and the backside to the play are pinned. As a side note, on that play, Board allows the LG to get on him and move him several yards downfield.

I see the inconsistencies in certain instance ( the TE move is fairly egregious)but I also note again that he is playing much faster and with more physicality. I see him as improved compared to last year (in albeit a single PS game), and I do not agree that he took a step back so far as the ILB competition is concerned.

amazing dude thanks for the detail - i think its hard not to like kenny because he looks explosive on the field and his impact in most games he plays is incredibly evident and visible - ultimately i think much like last year we'll end up with a rotation at WLB and kenny will be part of that rotation unless peanut starts struggling as the mike and that it will be good for the team to have him take a large portion of those snaps

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
VEDVIK has just been traded to the Vikings - ravens officially say undisclosed pick but schefter reports its a 2020 5th rounder...

what great value - tells you there was competition for him/the vikings didnt want any competition so got it done with a good offer early
I am glad he found a team, he really deserved it and I am so glad it was to an NFC team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Per Zrebiec:

Vedvik left Practice field about 15 mins ago after Eric DeCosta had on-field conversation with Harbaugh and kicking coach Randy Brown.

i find it hilarious that he's going to be kicking vs the bears as well lol - they obviously think they have enough in their kicking room

also holy hell is the ravens and randy brown's kicking tree incredible...

Justin Tucker
Will Lutz
Graham Gano
Steven Hauschka
Kaare Vedvik

just off the top of my head

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
VEDVIK has just been traded to the Vikings - ravens officially say undisclosed pick but schefter reports its a 2020 5th rounder...

what great value - tells you there was competition for him/the vikings didnt want any competition so got it done with a good offer early
Great timing. He looks fantastic but if he goes out in week two of preseason and misses 1 or 2....

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Per Zrebiec:

Vedvik left Practice field about 15 mins ago after Eric DeCosta had on-field conversation with Harbaugh and kicking coach Randy Brown.

i find it hilarious that he's going to be kicking vs the bears as well lol - they obviously think they have enough in their kicking room

also holy hell is the ravens and randy brown's kicking tree incredible...

Justin Tucker
Will Lutz
Graham Gano
Steven Hauschka
Kaare Vedvik

just off the top of my head
I am glad he went to the Vikings also, since the Bears screwed us during the draft a few years ago.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Schefter showed a chart of all Kicker Trades and the last time a team gave up a 5th round pick for a Kicker, August 21st, 1996. Every other trade involved with Kickers since then were all 6th, 7th or traded for a player.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Wow! I was not expecting to get a 5th for him! Wishing him luck with the Vikings.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Schefter showed a chart of all Kicker Trades and the last time a team gave up a 5th round pick for a Kicker, August 21st, 1996. Every other trade involved with Kickers since then were all 6th, 7th or traded for a player.
Tampa Bay gave up a third and fourth rounder to KC to move up in the second of the 2016 draft to select kicker Roberto Aguayo.