• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Tavon Young Torn ACL

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I went to VT, which is a rival school to UVA so I got to see bits from him.

He isn't physical and he isn't very fast. He's all there mentally other than not being aggressive. Just not sure he has the physical ability to take it to the next level.

trust me, the ravens make sure you're physical..
sometimes to a fault..as we find out with all these injuries.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
trust me, the ravens make sure you're physical..
sometimes to a fault..as we find out with all these injuries.

I do think that theres a specific role for Webb as the 3rd safety, so I would expect Canady to get every opportunity to win the slot job.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
With veterans and first-round draft picks now anchoring the Ravens' deep secondary, players further down the depth chart know they need to make the most of their opportunities.

Second-year cornerback Maurice Canady did precisely that during the OTA workout June 1 that was open to the media, as he hauled in three interceptions and nearly had a couple of others.

Canady might have had the play of the day as he ran with receiver Chris Moore down the right sideline, then made a leaping interception in front of Moore.

Canady, a sixth-round pick out of Virginia last year, appeared in four games on special teams as a rookie last season before going on injured reserve in early October with a hamstring injury.

"When you go through our winter conditioning, he doesn't lose very often," Harbaugh said. "And a lot of our stuff is competitive. He finds a way to win, a lot. He's slimmed up a little bit, but he's strengthened at the same time. I think he's moving really well."

During the June 1 OTA workout, Canady (6-foot-1, 193 pounds) took over as the starting slot corner after Tavon Young left with a knee injury. In addition to the interceptions, Canady had a nice pass breakup near the end zone during a red-zone drill and was frequently around the ball.

Canady had a couple of nice plays during the May 25 OTA workout open to the media as well, including one when he leaped to down a punt that appeared headed to the end zone for a touchback.

Canady figures to be primarily a special teams player this season, given that the Ravens have Jimmy Smith and veteran Brandon Carr as established NFL veterans, as well as first-round rookie draft pick Marlon Humphrey and Young returning as a nickel/slot corner. Add veteran safeties Eric Weddle, Lardarius Webb and Tony Jefferson, and it's easy to see why Harbaugh has called the Ravens' secondary the deepest in his 10-year tenure with the team.

But OTAs are all about making the most of the opportunities, and being ready to be the next man up in the event of injuries, and Canady has done that thus far this spring.

"He's got a knack for the game," Harbaugh said. "He's got to prove it in games, but he's going to get a chance to do that. He's earning that opportunity right now."

NOTES: Young left with a knee injury after making an interception. He appeared to tweak something during the return and was helped to the locker room. "There wasn't much contact at all, and we'll see how his knee is," Harbaugh said. … WR Michael Campanaro missed practice after spraining his toe May 31. "He'll be out for a little while. It's not a serious injury," Harbaugh said. … The three tight ends who missed last week's open OTA -- Maxx Williams (knee), Darren Waller (undisclosed) and Ben Watson (Achilles) -- all remained sidelined. … DL Carl Davis missed practice with a pectoral injury, but Harbaugh said he's expected back soon. … Others not on the field June 1 included OL Marshal Yanda, LB C.J. Mosley, LB Terrell Suggs, CB Lardarius Webb and CB Kyle Arrington. Yanda and Mosley are recovering from offseason surgery. … The team hosts one more OTA workout open to the media June 8 and will hold their mandatory minicamp June 13-15.

My thoughts?

Apparently, he's leaner and probably faster.

Seattle never needed a typical slot corner ( a guy under 6 foot). Let's do the same.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
guys, relax..

I'm not as worried about the slot as I am about the outside.
I think Canady has more upside than tavon TBH.

If jimmy goes down, you can wake the fat lady up and tell her to clear her throat.

guys, relax..

I'm not as worried about the slot as I am about the outside.
I think Canady has more upside than tavon TBH.

If jimmy goes down, you can wake the fat lady up and tell her to clear her throat.

Jimmy has only played two full seasons in his career, and he's not going to become more durable as he ages. With any luck Humphrey and Canady can hold up outside.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jimmy has only played two full seasons in his career, and he's not going to become more durable as he ages. With any luck Humphrey and Canady can hold up outside.

hopefully with an improved pass rush our corners can be less stressed out..

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hate to say it but i kinda am worried.....tavon was our best pure slot corner. Webbs a bit old and we dont really have another twitched up corner on the roster

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hate to say it but i kinda am worried.....tavon was our best pure slot corner. Webbs a bit old and we dont really have another twitched up corner on the roster

Don't worry..I think canady will be a playmaker in the slot.

now as it pertains to being worried, worry about right tackle.
Worry about right tackle..a lot.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Don't worry..I think canady will be a playmaker in the slot

now as it pertains to being worried, worry about right tackle.
Worry about right tackle..a lot.

Idk isnt Canady like 6'1 or something. Idk if hes fleet footed enough to handle the slot

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Why can't any of our GOOD corners ever stay healthy. It's like whenever they show promise they get hurt like clockwork...