• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ryan Mink - Mediocre

flynismo

Practice Squad
Mink is one of the hype men, it is his job to be upbeat and promote the team. He's not, and not supposed to be, an analyst. He's doing his job just fine. If you want actual football X and Os talk, the Ravens' website is not the place for that. It's a place to promote and make announcements and pass along team news.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Mink is one of the hype men, it is his job to be upbeat and promote the team. He's not, and not supposed to be, an analyst. He's doing his job just fine. If you want actual football X and Os talk, the Ravens' website is not the place for that. It's a place to promote and make announcements and pass along team news.
Exactly. I used to go there to read what's been happening and then I would go to the forum to see the football talk. I don't think the writers deserve some of the hate that they get. I would appreciate some deeper analysis from them every once in a while, but I never expect it from them.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
None of them bother me like they seem to do some of you cats.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just saying that they offer nothing or anything true fans want to hear from people who are lucky enough to have access to what's going on.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm just saying that they offer nothing or anything true fans want to hear from people who are lucky enough to have access to what's going on.
Maybe that's because they don't have access to what's going on.

On every article:
Authors' views are formulated independently from any inside knowledge and/or conversations with Ravens officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe that's because they don't have access to what's going on.

On every article:

I don't know about that one Poe. I've seen many articles that were written right after we had discussions about certain topics in the forums on BR.com. I believe that they got many of their ideas and subjects from us.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

It's the nature of their job. Eisenberg is the only one with a freedom to write somewhat analytical articles, the rest are all part of the Ravens PR department.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I don't know about that one Poe. I've seen many articles that were written right after we had discussions about certain topics in the forums on BR.com. I believe that they got many of their ideas and subjects from us.
I was referring more to the fact that they work for the Ravens and the idea that they should have more information than other writers. Anybody had access to the forums, that doesn't mean they're lucky enough to have access to what's going on.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was referring more to the fact that they work for the Ravens and the idea that they should have more information than other writers. Anybody had access to the forums, that doesn't mean they're lucky enough to have access to what's going on.

They may have more access than realized. I wouldn't be surprised.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I do feel that the duo itself is underwhelming when it comes to the Xs and Os. There's not much insight offered in their videos as far as technical insight goes, and they sometimes come off as somewhat casual fans with access passes. I don't mind Mink from the standpoint of him seeming like a decent person. The only contact I've had with either of the two was a debate about Vontaze Burfict, where Mink and I had a back-and-forth debate on the BR forum about the potential signing of the then-UDFA. He argued that it was too significant of a risk, and I argued that it was literally the least possible risk given that he'd be a walk-on on a one-year contract who could be done away with at any time regardless of whether any issues arise on the field or in the locker room.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I do feel that the duo itself is underwhelming when it comes to the Xs and Os. There's not much insight offered in their videos as far as technical insight goes, and they sometimes come off as somewhat casual fans with access passes. I don't mind Mink from the standpoint of him seeming like a decent person. The only contact I've had with either of the two was a debate about Vontaze Burfict, where Mink and I had a back-and-forth debate on the BR forum about the potential signing of the then-UDFA. He argued that it was too significant of a risk, and I argued that it was literally the least possible risk given that he'd be a walk-on on a one-year contract who could be done away with at any time regardless of whether any issues arise on the field or in the locker room.
Wow, can't believe Mink argued from that perspective. i do agree they don't offer much from the way of X's & O's, but that's what the forum is for. Ravens reporters aren't that good overall. I would argue that the city of Baltimore due to it's small market probably isn't what these sports writers/reporters are looking for. They want a large market and the better reporters go that route. You still have to start someplace and I'm surprised we don't have more talent.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Garrett Downing mentioned in a recent video that James Hurst has been running with the starters, and he followed it up by stating the Ravens aren't rushing for other options on the OL due to the in-house options, which was fine. Then he specifically outlined Hurst as part of the reason for the confidence because he's played in plenty of big games in his career. The latter part makes me wonder whether they're not keen on running any extensive studies, or whether they're meant and expected to act as the hype men on these occasions.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Garrett Downing mentioned in a recent video that James Hurst has been running with the starters, and he followed it up by stating the Ravens aren't rushing for other options on the OL due to the in-house options, which was fine. Then he specifically outlined Hurst as part of the reason for the confidence because he's played in plenty of big games in his career. The latter part makes me wonder whether they're not keen on running any extensive studies, or whether they're meant and expected to act as the hype men on these occasions.
I saw that and I couldn't believe he said that. Playing in big games and playing well are totally different. Yes Hurst showed improved numbers towards the end of last season but saying the reason they are good with him at RT is due to him playing in big games is totally off base.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I saw that and I couldn't believe he said that. Playing in big games and playing well are totally different. Yes Hurst showed improved numbers towards the end of last season but saying the reason they are good with him at RT is due to him playing in big games is totally off base.
Exactly. I've watched all of his snaps against New York. His pass blocking set has shown improvement. It wasn't perfect by any means, and he still had moments where he either essentially back-pedaled or regressed back to the old habits of short-setting, stepping up to engage, leaning into the defender and walking with them on their way to the QB. But overall, his kick slide was better and he was more patient with regards to timing his punch. His coordination is still a serious issue and he plays closer to replacement level, but the improvement is what I would harp on as well. Not the fact that he's simply been involved in big games, which gives little context on a player's actual value and performance within those games. The best possible move for a player who's shown some improvement after struggling mightily is to depend on them as a potential surprise and bring in another player to compete for the position in case the surprise never comes.